This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
Vonz90

National reciprocity bill

Post by Vonz90 »

Rich

Re: National reciprocity bill

Post by Rich »

About damn time.
A weak government usually remains a servant of citizens, while a strong government usually becomes the master of its subjects.
- paraphrased from several sources

A choice, not an echo. - Goldwater campaign, 1964
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

I'm ambivalent about this.

From a principled standpoint, it seems like a State's rights thing. Do we want to use big government to force our desires on the States?

On the other hand, it could be viewed as a further federal clarification of 2A. That's a good thing, so long as they get it right.

On the gripping hand, we don't live in a principled world. Maybe it's OK to use the left's tactics to achieve a good end.

OK. I guess I support it.

How do they address the issue of citizens of constitutional carry states? MO is OK because you can still get a permit, even though it's constitutional carry, but do the others offer that? Do any states still offer non-resident permits?
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

I wonder how this would play out for NJ, where for all practical purposes you can't get a CCW, but you can get (for instance) a Florida non-resident license, would that then allow you to carry in NJ?

Somehow I think it would be inconvenient and expensive to find out.....
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Weetabix wrote:I'm ambivalent about this.

From a principled standpoint, it seems like a State's rights thing. Do we want to use big government to force our desires on the States?

On the other hand, it could be viewed as a further federal clarification of 2A. That's a good thing, so long as they get it right.

On the gripping hand, we don't live in a principled world. Maybe it's OK to use the left's tactics to achieve a good end.

How do they address the issue of citizens of constitutional carry states? MO is OK because you can still get a permit, even though it's constitutional carry, but do the others offer that? Do any states still offer non-resident permits?
I am kind of there too. On the plus side, I think if we get de facto nationwide CC, it will radically expand the support for 2nd Amendment rights over time.
slowpoke

Post by slowpoke »

Weetabix wrote:I'm ambivalent about this.

The left made the rules, now its time for them to bake us a cake.
"Islam delenda est" Aesop
Jered

Post by Jered »

Well...
Full faith and credit ought to be given in each state to the public acts, records, and judicial proceedings, of every other state; and the legislature shall, by general laws, prescribe the manner in which such acts, records, and proceedings, shall be proved, and the effect which judgments, obtained in one state, shall have in another.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Jered wrote:Well...
Full faith and credit ought to be given in each state to the public acts, records, and judicial proceedings, of every other state; and the legislature shall, by general laws, prescribe the manner in which such acts, records, and proceedings, shall be proved, and the effect which judgments, obtained in one state, shall have in another.
I've never liked that one. Everyone lives by WA or OR laws? CA? MA? CT? NY? :roll:
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Frankingun

Post by Frankingun »

Looks like it’s going to mark-up.
Buy ammunition and magazines.

You'll shoot your eye out!

Another blog.
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

Think it's got a whelk's chance in a supernova once it gets to the Senate?
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!