Ron Johnson is an idiot

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
Vonz90

Re: Ron Johnson is an idiot

Post by Vonz90 »

Well it passed the Senate with one vote to spare.

It is not a perfect bill, but to those who say there is no difference between the Dems and the GOP, when was the last tax cut to come out of a Dem controlled congress.?
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

I'm unhappy about losing a $2500 deduction every year. I hope the increased individual exemption will offset that loss, but it makes the increase for the individual exemption much less effective in my case. This bill is also extremely unfriendly to anyone still trying to get an education. A friend is a PhD candidate at Baylor CoM and the tuition she doesn't pay because she is a researcher in her department is now considered taxable income.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Steamforger wrote:I'm unhappy about losing a $2500 deduction every year. I hope the increased individual exemption will offset that loss, but it makes the increase for the individual exemption much less effective in my case. This bill is also extremely unfriendly to anyone still trying to get an education. A friend is a PhD candidate at Baylor CoM and the tuition she doesn't pay because she is a researcher in her department is now considered taxable income.
Eliminating hidden subsidies directed at our fifth column enemies of civilization, aka the higher ed industry.

Can't say I feel too bad about that.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

Greg wrote:
Steamforger wrote:I'm unhappy about losing a $2500 deduction every year. I hope the increased individual exemption will offset that loss, but it makes the increase for the individual exemption much less effective in my case. This bill is also extremely unfriendly to anyone still trying to get an education. A friend is a PhD candidate at Baylor CoM and the tuition she doesn't pay because she is a researcher in her department is now considered taxable income.
Eliminating hidden subsidies directed at our fifth column enemies of civilization, aka the higher ed industry.

Well, as long as we sacrifice those of us who went through, or are going through, that system and coming out normal I guess it'll be worth it. Maybe you could call the IRS and let them know I can have $2500 of your deductions. That'd be great.

ETA- I haven't seen anything that would prevent this from applying to trade school loan payments as well. So, take that for what it's worth.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Steamforger wrote:
Greg wrote:

Well, as long as we sacrifice those of us who went through, or are going through, that system and coming out normal I guess it'll be worth it. Maybe you could call the IRS and let them know I can have $2500 of your deductions. That'd be great.

ETA- I haven't seen anything that would prevent this from applying to trade school loan payments as well. So, take that for what it's worth.
Yet another reason why any entitlement of any kind, ever, can never be reduced or eliminated.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

I would not have a issue if they raised my taxes a bit to get the lower corporate rate. That is just killing growth.
BDK

Post by BDK »

The correct answer is cut spending... No one's taxes need to go up. No governmental body* has a revenue issue, in the US.

*OK, some dying towns might.