Now that's just low

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
Johnnyreb

Now that's just low

Post by Johnnyreb »

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/08/21/te ... s-say.html

Some jerk just tried to blow up a statue of Dick Dowling, the man who won the Battle of Sabine Pass during the Civil War, one of the most lopsided military victories you ever saw. He was an Irish immigrant and as a Lt. with about 4 dozen fellow Irishmen and a few cannon in a mud fort, soundly beat a Union invasion force of several gunboats, a couple of thousand troops, etc, through the use of well planned range markers and very good cannon drill, which Dowling drilled them on when he formed the battery. For the rest of the war, the Union never tried to invade the Texas coast again. He was a great Texan and a great American and had he not died of fever a year or two after the war he'd have made much more of a mark on Texas and on the city of Houston.

My stepfather, while head of a county road crew, since Sabine Pass these days is part of Port Arthur, was the one in charge of repairing and fixing the cemetery out there where Dowling and a number of the other men who were there that day are buried. I rode out there with him a couple of times back around 2006? and saw the place in its dilapidated state and after if was fixed up and the graves and sarcophagi had been repaired.

There's an elementary school in my old neighborhood (Port Acres) named for him. And an annual Dick Dowling days event that re-enactors do. Not a bad mark left on the state's history for a guy who stepped off the boat in New Orleans when he was 9 and died at the age of 30 from yellow fever. From wiki, he was among other things, the first man in Houston to have gaslighting in his home, and a founding member of Houston's first hook and ladder fire company.

The statue the jerk tried to blow up was made in 1905 and was in front of city hall until it got moved to Sam Houston park in 1939.
Vonz90

Re: Now that's just low

Post by Vonz90 »

I am half expecting some of them to destroy the Truer der Union monument 'cause Germans... and reasons.
scipioafricanus

Post by scipioafricanus »

63 People shot in Chicago, 8 killed over the weekend: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/loca ... story.html

But statues are the Devil!
If there is a Stairway to Heaven, is there an Escalator to Hell?
If God wanted men to play soccer, he wouldn’t have given us arms. - Mike Ditka
scipioafricanus

Post by scipioafricanus »

So in Texas, people could shoot statue vandals? http://www.iamatexan.com/2017/08/20/pol ... e-statues/

Like the thought, but the execution might not end that well for the shooter.
If there is a Stairway to Heaven, is there an Escalator to Hell?
If God wanted men to play soccer, he wouldn’t have given us arms. - Mike Ditka