The Stupid It Burns (Episode 45,165)

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
MarkD

The Stupid It Burns (Episode 45,165)

Post by MarkD »

Last night my wife's cousin shared something on FB (yeah, I know) that had a picture of Irwin Rommel with the caption "There are no statues of Rommel because he was part of an evil organization, why are there Confederate monuments?". I replied "Maybe there are no statues of him because he was allowed to kill himself (as a war hero) instead of standing trial for treason for taking part in an attempt to assassinate Adolf Hitler?"

Sometime in the last few decades they stopped teaching history I guess.
randy

Re: The Stupid It Burns (Episode 45,165)

Post by randy »

By that "logic", then why are there statues of Lenin, Stalin, Mao, Che...
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

randy wrote:By that "logic", then why are there statues of Lenin, Stalin, Mao, Che...
Oh no, those weren't evil, they had good intentions. Kumbaya and all that happy horseshit.
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

Makes me wish I still lived relatively close to Fremont in Seattle....
Jered

Post by Jered »

Steamforger wrote:Makes me wish I still lived relatively close to Fremont in Seattle....
Stop reading my mind!

:lol:
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
scipioafricanus

Post by scipioafricanus »

The people now are nothing more than our version of ISIS or the Taliban destroying monuments and history. But there is an issue when a lot of Confederate monuments were erected in the 1920's when the "Lost Cause" was close to its height, and the Klan had its record numbers.

Should the be torn down?... no. Should they have a Sherman statue looking over them with an eternal flame (cigar perhaps)?... yes.
If there is a Stairway to Heaven, is there an Escalator to Hell?
If God wanted men to play soccer, he wouldn’t have given us arms. - Mike Ditka
scipioafricanus

Post by scipioafricanus »

If a statue that has been standing in your city for years suddenly sends you into paroxysms of destructive rage, you are really determined to create a problem for yourself, and you’ll create another problem when it’s gone.
Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/4 ... n-monument
If there is a Stairway to Heaven, is there an Escalator to Hell?
If God wanted men to play soccer, he wouldn’t have given us arms. - Mike Ditka
Jered

Post by Jered »

My state capital has a statue of a Fenian in it.

Does it trigger the British people?
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
randy

Post by randy »

MarkD wrote:
randy wrote:By that "logic", then why are there statues of Lenin, Stalin, Mao, Che...
Oh no, those weren't evil, they had good intentions. Kumbaya and all that happy horseshit.
Oh, I know that's what they feel (think would be too strong a word). Which is why they are the evilest of the lot.
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. -- C. S. Lewis
Doin' right ain't got no end. -- Captain "Red Legs" Terrill
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Rich

Post by Rich »

OK, here goes another episode of me, me, me.

I have kin who are of color, and I have kin who are lily white.

During the Civil War, all my ancestors (that I knew of) who fought were on the Union side.

Some slightly earlier ancestors profited greatly from the infamous "Three Cornered Trade" by captaining and crewing ships that brought slaves from Africa to the Caribbean and America.

Much earlier ancestors walked out of the steppes of Asia after the Ice Age and peopled Europe.

And much, much earlier ancestors walked out of Africa to populate the Middle East and Asia.

What does it all mean? Not a damned thing.

I'm responsible for what I do, nothing more, nothing less.

If I want to pull down a statue, I should be charged with the appropriate crime.

I refuse to be perpetually aggrieved.

Now, aren't you glad I wasted this bandwidth to deliver this message. :P
A weak government usually remains a servant of citizens, while a strong government usually becomes the master of its subjects.
- paraphrased from several sources

A choice, not an echo. - Goldwater campaign, 1964