A clean repeal of Obamacare - is it possible?!?

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
AlaskaTRX

A clean repeal of Obamacare - is it possible?!?

Post by AlaskaTRX »

McCrybaby finally called uncle on his overhaul (i.e. Obamacare-lite - all the great government spending you'd expect, without that nasty tax aftertaste), and is now calling for a clean repeal and to replace it later.

It failed due to not enough kickbacks to hold out states, not due to anyone actually displaying conservative values, though. I will believe it when I see it, but it'd be nice to see Obamacare and the massive Medicaid expansion go away.
Jericho941

Re: A clean repeal of Obamacare - is it possible?!?

Post by Jericho941 »

I doubt it. The foot's in the door and millions are convinced they're only alive today thanks to Obamacare.
NVGdude

Post by NVGdude »

No it's not.

However, we can get the most egregious parts.

Step 1, One sentence bill, repeals the unconstitutional individual mandate.

Go ahead Lisa. Go ahead Susan. I dare you to vote against it.

Step 2, one sentence bill, repeal the small business mandade

Step 3, repeals the medical device tax.

Step 4, repeal the tax on comprehensive health plans.

Etc. Don't let anyone hide behind "it's too complicated, or does too much, or doesn't do enough..."

Single sentence bills, gut the thing, and everyone goes on record. Mitch is of course too chicken-shit to do so.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Jericho941 wrote:I doubt it. The foot's in the door and millions are convinced they're only alive today thanks to Obamacare.
Afraid I agree.

In theory there should be no problem with a clean repeal, there's enough grassroots support for it in the GOP base.

But GOP politicians don't answer to the GOP base. Hostility of their own base isn't the hostility that makes them go weak in the knees, and Obamacare is too big a handout to too many people for it to be repealed without hostility.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Rich

Post by Rich »

Possible, yes. Probable, no. :?
A weak government usually remains a servant of citizens, while a strong government usually becomes the master of its subjects.
- paraphrased from several sources

A choice, not an echo. - Goldwater campaign, 1964
scipioafricanus

Post by scipioafricanus »

The argument was lost years ago when people don't understand that health care and health insurance are two different things.
If there is a Stairway to Heaven, is there an Escalator to Hell?
If God wanted men to play soccer, he wouldn’t have given us arms. - Mike Ditka
Greg

Post by Greg »

scipioafricanus wrote:The argument was lost years ago when people don't understand that health care and health insurance are two different things.
Sssshhhhhh, don't confuse them.

Simply abolishing employer-provided health insurance would undo a great deal of historical fuckery in the health care space. It's a confusing and ridiculous artifact of a way to cheat WW2 era wage and price controls. Transparency and simplicity are usually good goals.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
randy

Post by randy »

Greg wrote:
scipioafricanus wrote:The argument was lost years ago when people don't understand that health care and health insurance are two different things.
Sssshhhhhh, don't confuse them.

Simply abolishing employer-provided health insurance would undo a great deal of historical fuckery in the health care space. It's a confusing and ridiculous artifact of a way to cheat WW2 era wage and price controls. Transparency and simplicity are usually good goals.
I've stayed with one job when I should've walked out even without something else lined up because of this stupidity (and had I been single at the time, I would have walked). I know many people in the same situation; working longer than they want to after retirement age, or staying in crappy employment situations just because they can't just call up USAA or whoever and sign up for a health care policy that meets their needs and pay for it directly.

I'm no expert, and could be wrong, but it seems that prices would drop if corp/business subsidized insurance went away and companies had to actually compete for individuals like car, life, house etc. insurance companies do.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

To truly eliminate the market distortion, you'd have to do away with the "pretax dollars" treatment of premiums too, I think. Counting down to torches, pitchforks, bowcasters, and Frankenstein rakes in 5...4...3....
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!