California Goes More Moonbat

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
Jered
Good Christ I Need A Life

California Goes More Moonbat

Postby Jered » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:47 am

Effective July 1, gun owners with "high capacity magazines" have to surrender or dispose of them.

Sweeping new gun laws passed last year by California voters and legislators require those with magazines capable of holding more than 10 rounds of ammunition to get rid of them by July 1.

Some California courts are putting people in jail by mistake.

However, since then, the public defender’s office has filed approximately 2,000 motions informing the court that, due to its reportedly imperfect software, many of its clients have been forced to serve unnecessary jail time, be improperly arrested, or even wrongly registered as sex offenders.

Woods, Alameda County Court Executive Officer Chad Finke, and Tyler Technologies were not immediately available for comment.

UPDATE June 29 5:20pm ET: Finke sent Ars an e-mail earlier on Thursday, responding to our query as to how the efforts to resolve the ongoing errors has gone.

"The current backlog is right around 1,000 cases, so it has come down quite a bit. And I would say that yes, the rate of errors has dropped quite a bit as well," he wrote.

Has anyone in the state of California ever heard of the 5th Amendment?
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.

Kommander
Active Shooter

Re: California Goes More Moonbat

Postby Kommander » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:32 am

The magazine thing has been stopped, for now, by a federal judge. As fore the other issue I would guess that the courts will deal with that as well, and some people are looking at some rather healthy payouts by the state.

evan price
Trigger Junkie

Postby evan price » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:00 pm

Kommander wrote:The magazine thing has been stopped, for now, by a federal judge. As fore the other issue I would guess that the courts will deal with that as well, and some people are looking at some rather healthy payouts by the state.

Payouts?
Naah.
Administrative mistakes happen and they will disallow it.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!

HTRN
Probably Unemployed

Postby HTRN » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:23 am

Kommander wrote:The magazine thing has been stopped, for now, by a federal judge. As fore the other issue I would guess that the courts will deal with that as well, and some people are looking at some rather healthy payouts by the state.

Expect that to last only until it gets in front of the 9th circus :ugeek:
EGO partum , proinde EGO sum

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

g-man
Trigger Junkie

Postby g-man » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:23 pm

At which point those clowns will rule as we expect them to, and the same thing that would have occurred when this was first supposed to go into effect will happen.

Jack, and sh*t. And Jack left town.

CA cop from the wife's book of face was notably happy about the federal judge's ruling. And appropriately so, as it means cops don't have to try and go enforce stupid laws that are of the 'might encounter highly-trained armed resistance to enforcement' variety.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

MiddleAgedKen
On a list somewhere

Postby MiddleAgedKen » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:40 pm

g-man wrote:CA cop from the wife's book of face was notably happy about the federal judge's ruling. And appropriately so, as it means cops don't have to try and go enforce stupid laws that are of the 'might encounter highly-trained armed resistance to enforcement' variety.

The story (probably recounted here) goes that when Dan Lungren or somebody floated the "AW" confiscation trial balloon around '99-2000, he was quietly advised by the head of the California state police to go sleep it off. "I am not interested in feeding my officers into a meat grinder," or words to that effect.
Watergate didn't have a body count.

Weetabix

Postby Weetabix » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:08 pm

Just saw this article at TFB. It's basically a summary of all the new ammo laws, but the one that interested me was a background check to purchase ammunition. Does that mean a NICS check?

I wonder if that will be used to inflate gun sales claims. A lot more ammo purchases are made than gun purchases.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D

g-man
Trigger Junkie

Postby g-man » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:19 am

One of the Airmen waiting in the personnel office on Travis when I was there to get a new ID was bitching about background checks for ammo. All I could think was: "I'm really glad I found all that .22lr when I came back from Hawaii... I have enough that I can afford to go shoot and not have to worry about replacing it."

Good luck enforcing the 'high-capacity' turn-in. The background check for ammo sales however... I see the stores in NV, UT, and AZ having a bump in their sales in the near future.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Weetabix

Postby Weetabix » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:55 am

It also said bringing it across state lines was a misdemeanor. :roll:

Langenator
Loose Cannon

Postby Langenator » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:29 am

I foresee CA state cops hanging out the parking lots of big guns stores in NV and AZ, taking down LP numbers, and calling them in for stops on the CA side of the line. Much like MA cops used to do outside NH liquor stores.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus

Rich Jordan
Trigger Junkie

Postby Rich Jordan » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:46 am

Langenator wrote:I foresee CA state cops hanging out the parking lots of big guns stores in NV and AZ, taking down LP numbers, and calling them in for stops on the CA side of the line. Much like MA cops used to do outside NH liquor stores.

Ill-Annoy cops do that at the nearer Indiana fireworks stores since you can't buy much of anything (even sparklers are banned) in ill. I've read about handoffs at convenient large parking lots in between as a workaround.

scipioafricanus
Loose Cannon

Postby scipioafricanus » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:09 pm

Rich Jordan wrote:
Langenator wrote:I foresee CA state cops hanging out the parking lots of big guns stores in NV and AZ, taking down LP numbers, and calling them in for stops on the CA side of the line. Much like MA cops used to do outside NH liquor stores.

Ill-Annoy cops do that at the nearer Indiana fireworks stores since you can't buy much of anything (even sparklers are banned) in ill. I've read about handoffs at convenient large parking lots in between as a workaround.

And how many people are going to be shot this weekend in Chicago?

Ah priorities.
If there is a Stairway to Heaven, is there an Escalator to Hell?
If God wanted men to play soccer, he wouldn’t have given us arms. - Mike Ditka

Kommander
Active Shooter

Postby Kommander » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:51 pm

I'm not sure how well this would work. The major polariton centres of CA and AZ have miles of desert between them and trips are usually multi day affairs. Said plates may take some time to actually cross over the state line, unlike the NH/MA situation which I assume was just a matter of hours.

Greg
Probably Unemployed

Postby Greg » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:42 pm

Kommander wrote:

I'm not sure how well this would work. The major polariton centres of CA and AZ have miles of desert between them and trips are usually multi day affairs. Said plates may take some time to actually cross over the state line, unlike the NH/MA situation which I assume was just a matter of hours.

Minutes. NH likes to put the big state-run liqueur stores conveniently close to the state line. And the part of NH that's closest to MA, it's very narrow to begin with and you could drive across it in, again, minutes, if there weren't constant toll plaza-induced traffic jams.

Seriously, I95 passes through NH but only for like 3 miles. All of which is one giant backup from the toll plaza.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr

Greg
Probably Unemployed

Postby Greg » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:45 pm

Weetabix wrote:Just saw this article at TFB. It's basically a summary of all the new ammo laws, but the one that interested me was a background check to purchase ammunition. Does that mean a NICS check?

I wonder if that will be used to inflate gun sales claims. A lot more ammo purchases are made than gun purchases.

Lots of desirable follow on effects. I'm sure they'd prefer it to be NICS.

Imaging paying the NICS fee for every ammo purchase. Plus the wait. And contributing to overloading the entire NICS system, so nobody anywhere gets approvals, well that would just he gravy.

Malicious assholes.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr

Greg
Probably Unemployed

Postby Greg » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:46 pm

Kommander wrote:

Yuma.

Weetabix

Postby Weetabix » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:53 pm

Greg wrote:Imaging paying the NICS fee for every ammo purchase.

There's a NICS fee? I don't remember ever paying that.

I ordered a rifle to a local shop. The website told me how much I had to put down and how much at the shop. Shop didn't charge me extra. Did they charge you for that in NJ?

Greg
Probably Unemployed

Postby Greg » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:10 pm

Weetabix wrote:

I ordered a rifle to a local shop. The website told me how much I had to put down and how much at the shop. Shop didn't charge me extra. Did they charge you for that in NJ?

Very much so. If memory serves, it was something like 16 or 17 bucks.

First Shirt
Active Shooter

Postby First Shirt » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:32 am

Now, I've bought guns through Gunbroker, and had them delivered to my local FFL, and they charge $25 per transaction (up to three items on one 4473, is one transaction), but that's just to cover their bookkeeping and paperwork. When I've bought stuff from them, they don't charge anything extra. (Of course, the owner of the shop is my cousin, and she likes me, so she might be cutting me a little break.)
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom

rightisright
Active Shooter

Postby rightisright » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:13 am

Greg wrote:
Weetabix wrote:

NICS is $16.05 in NJ. It is charged for long guns or handguns purchased from a dealer on a 4473. There is no state law that asks for a NICS check on handgun or rifle ammo purchases from a dealer. You do need a Firearms ID card to purchase handgun ammo from a dealer.

Did I mention I can't wait to escape this regulatory hellhole?

Greg
Probably Unemployed

Postby Greg » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:23 am

rightisright wrote:
Greg wrote:
Weetabix wrote:

NICS is $16.05 in NJ. It is charged for long guns or handguns purchased from a dealer on a 4473. There is no state law that asks for a NICS check on handgun or rifle ammo purchases from a dealer. You do need a Firearms ID card to purchase handgun ammo from a dealer.

Did I mention I can't wait to escape this regulatory hellhole?

My memory is better than I thought. :)

You even are supposed to 'show' your Firearms ID when you order ammo online. Access to a fax machine is, yes, another annoying chickenshit barrier to people exercising their rights.

Weetabix

Postby Weetabix » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:34 pm

Used to be that some online ammo sales sites wanted a copy of your driver's license but I don't recollect running into that for years.

Buy something locally and enjoy the freedom. ;)

Greg
Probably Unemployed

Postby Greg » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:19 pm

Weetabix wrote:Used to be that some online ammo sales sites wanted a copy of your driver's license but I don't recollect running into that for years.

Buy something locally and enjoy the freedom. ;)

Well, now I can buy anywhere and enjoy freedom.

Buying locally in Jersey was no improvement. :lol:

evan price
Trigger Junkie

Postby evan price » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:10 am

Have they applied this to components like primers yet?
Or have their declared that reloading gear is constructive possession of unlicensed ammo? :lol: oh wait maybe not funny after all.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!

Return to “Politics, Law, and Justice”