Playing With Guns = Bad

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
Jered

Re: Playing With Guns = Bad

Post by Jered »

Wrenchbender1 wrote: Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Also, if they didn't want to do stagecraft, a level IV plate under a Carhardt would provide the necessary protection and then some. Plates are cheap nowadays...
I got a set of 2 AR-500 plates with the anti-spall coating for $110 each.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
FelixEstrella

Post by FelixEstrella »

What was the book? "The Voyage of the Beagle"?
"Luck is where you find it—but to find it you have to look for it" -- Eugene Fluckey.
Blogspot
picsig
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Greg wrote:You get enough views/subscribers, as a YouTuber you can make MILLIONS of dollars per year.
The people who make that kind of money on utoob dont make it from one video, but from dozens per month, usually with very high production values. I would also add that there's probably less than 2 dozen if them on the entire planet that make more than a million dollars per year.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Greg

Post by Greg »

HTRN wrote:
Greg wrote:You get enough views/subscribers, as a YouTuber you can make MILLIONS of dollars per year.
The people who make that kind of money on utoob dont make it from one video, but from dozens per month, usually with very high production values. I would also add that there's probably less than 2 dozen if them on the entire planet that make more than a million dollars per year.
Yes, of course.

How many people make it into the NBA, versus how many people try?

It's always so.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Jericho941

Post by Jericho941 »

Greg wrote:
HTRN wrote:
Yes, of course.

How many people make it into the NBA, versus how many people try?

It's always so.
Given the way things have changed over the last few years with YouTube, I would say HTRN's estimate is optimistic. If you're not someone hired on to make a YouTube Red show, your earnings will be paltry. It doesn't matter if you have over 100k subscribers and publish videos that consistently get half a million views in a week; if it costs more than a dime to make your videos, you're going to have a tough time earning that back from monetized YouTube alone. That's why so many popular YouTubers go with Patreon and are always looking for sponsors. Otherwise, you can make a show more popular than a network sitcom and maybe earn yourself a cup of coffee at the end of it due to production costs. Companies like RocketJump and CorridorDigital produce videos and put them on YouTube as an advertisement for their special effects services; YouTube is not where they make their money.

I'd go so far as to say that, between the two, the best financial advice would be to tell every kid to go for the NBA over YouTube, even if they're a quadriplegic. At least the tryout videos would make for a YouTube fallback.
Mike OTDP

Post by Mike OTDP »

Jericho is right, it's a significant issue with YouTube content providers. It's at the point where they are now treating YT as advertising for either Patreon or a paid site.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Jericho941 wrote:I would say HTRN's estimate is optimistic.
I went by 2016 numbers, which listed the 15 richest youtubers, and the lowest paid on the list made something like 3 million a year.

One of the more instersting of the "sucessful" youtubers is AvE, with over half a million suscribers, and regularly gets over a 100k views on his vids, which come out every couple of days on average. He did it by doing some of the most entertaining tool reviews, and shop hacks ive seen, and introduced such terms as "chooch", "schmoo", "angry pixies", and countless others. :ugeek: :mrgreen:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt