Iowa court: State cannot prosecute immigrant using fake ID

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
Jered

Iowa court: State cannot prosecute immigrant using fake ID

Post by Jered »

DES MOINES, Iowa —
The Iowa Supreme Court says immigrants living in Iowa without legal permission and who use a stolen identity to get a job cannot be prosecuted by the state for identity theft or forgery.
Story

...that sounds like something from California and it doesn't make any sense. Fraud and identity theft are not "immigration crimes."
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
scipioafricanus

Re: Iowa court: State cannot prosecute immigrant using fake ID

Post by scipioafricanus »

Um... No
If there is a Stairway to Heaven, is there an Escalator to Hell?
If God wanted men to play soccer, he wouldn’t have given us arms. - Mike Ditka
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

What the actual fuck???
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
randy

Post by randy »

I get the let the Feds enforce the Federal law part.

But last I checked (and when I grew up in Iowa) getting a driver's license or other ID under false pretenses was a state enforceable crime, as a few of my High School classmates found when trying such to buy beer (instead of using an older siblings or totally fake ID like everyone else ;) )
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Jered

Post by Jered »

skb12172 wrote:What the actual fuck???
Yeah, that was my reaction, too.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Um, Iowa's a blue state.

Perhaps I'm too cynical.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

Even if the fake ID is a state-issued license???
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
Rustyv

Post by Rustyv »

Does Iowa elect their Supreme Court, or are they appointed?

Either way, the campaign commercials against the incumbents write themselves.

Identity theft and forgery isn't a crime if you're illegally in the country. I've heard stupider things, but never in such lofty language.
Welcome to the internet: Where men are men, women are men, and children are FBI agents.

Dance like it hurts, Love like you need the money, Work like people are watching - Scott Adams
D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

I suspect it has something to do with self-incrimination under the 5th Amendment.

Until Las Vegas got rid of the stupid "blue cards" for registering handguns, it had a similar "Catch-22" in their laws.

It went something like this:

Some do-gooder liberal decided that it would be a good idea to require gun registration of handguns in the City of Las Vegas with all the Goodfellas showing up from New York City and Chicago. This was to "Keep guns out of the hands of criminals" of course.

Everyone with a handgun has to have a "blue card" registration card that they must produce, even going to a range (the ranges used to inspect the blue cards). A real PITA, by the way. If you have more than a couple of handguns, try keeping track of all the blue cards and keeping them with the guns.

Some mob boss got tired of bailing his Goodfellas out of jail, and had one of his lawyers take the registration law to the Supreme Court.

Supreme Court ruled that the gun registration law was unconstitutional based on the prohibition on self-incrimination (5th Amendment). Since most of the Goodfellas were already felons, and there was a federal statute that made it a felony for a felon to posses a firearm, requiring a felon to register their firearm was requiring them to incriminate themselves in the act of registering their firearm, which was unconstitutional.

So you'd think that the do-gooder liberals who only wanted gun registration to "keep guns out of the hands of criminals" would drop gun registration, since it no longer had anything to do with criminals, right?

Wrong!

They rewrote the statute so that felons were excluded from having to comply with the gun registration statute.

No kidding.

So this was the "Catch-22":

1. Anyone who is not a felon needs to register their handgun.

2. Failing to register a handgun will make the non-felon subject to felony arrest and imprisonment.

3. However, a felon is not required to register their handguns.

If you get that logic, you must be a liberal.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

What does Vegas do now?