Pat Mac goes Full Retard

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
Netpackrat

Pat Mac goes Full Retard

Post by Netpackrat »

Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Jericho941

Re: Pat Mac goes Full Retard

Post by Jericho941 »

Maybe so. I don't think so, but I may be full of crap, so bear with me:

The Daily Show isn't the nigh-unknown entity of 15 years ago. If you show up there, you know damn well what you're getting into. (Especially after Jon Stewart left the show and it became Trevor Noah Shames Naughty Americans). Could he have used the opportunity to make more sound arguments? Probably. Should he also have been well aware that they would cut absolutely everything out that didn't serve their agenda? Absolutely. Does that mean he should've turned them down? I'm not convinced.

In a way, the resulting video is a victory for both sides. For the liberals, it reinforces the "common sense gun control" bullshit. But to our benefit, it shows that even when we like to be cheesy and have fun with dangerous things, we're not cartoon characters. We can be full of bravado while being strict about safety. For a TV show that counts the bluest of blue as its core audience, "universal" background checks and waiting periods are a stupid hill to die on. In other words, leave the stuff about how we already have NICS and whatnot for the post-airing blog posts. The Daily Show is entertainment; it's more in how you look than what you say. Klepper had to reel back and admit that "gun people" are human. He wasn't given the slam dunk they were clearly after, and that's something.

Anyone could've mistaken appearing on the Daily Show as a microphone for debate. That's not what it is. Try and look 100% reasonable and make a rational argument and you will lose. That doesn't mean it can't be used to our benefit anyway. You just have to know what it is. Thank whatever or whoever it was Pat Mac and not Yeager or Suarez.

Really, the most disturbing thing for me is that this is the best Daily Show bit about guns since Trevor Noah took over. It's only taken them six months or so but the Democrats are starting to realize that this "har har we're smarter than you" shit isn't working and they'll have to try something else. They are REALLY bitchy about the "common ground" thing, but they're actually starting to try it. They're learning to self-deprecate again, directing their own smug bullshit back at themselves to show that they're more self-aware and reasonable than the other guy.

That can be deflected, though. Klepper's "ha ha I'm such a little bitch" asides and constant flinching give everything he says a snide, insincere tone to everything he says. Meanwhile Pat Mac just, straight-faced, without missing a beat, denies him the "gotcha" he was looking for. Nope, sorry Klepper, you're not going to be able to turn this into "help I've been seduced by The Guns and trapped by a psycho, so obviously the only sane thing to do is take the guns away."

I'm not saying he necessarily played 4D chess or whatever. I'm just saying that my tar and feathers are in reserve, waiting to see how this plays out.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

patmac1.jpg
Seems to pretty much confirm that it wasn't taken out of context. He's giving aid and comfort to the enemy; speaking of Yeager and Suarez, if they and McNamara were my only 3 choices for training, I would rather give my money to either of them at this point, and I have little use for them (I'm actually banned from Suarez's forum).

Besides which, his premise is idiotic. If you decide you want to kill somebody, and go to a gun store and buy a gun and ammo for that purpose, that is not a crime of passion or spontaneity, it is premeditated murder. No amount of waiting periods or background checks are going to prevent you from ultimately carrying that out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Kommander

Post by Kommander »

This could end him. The firearms community is not very tolerant of "treason" and has a long memory. Smith & Wesson, Bill "10 Rounds" Ruger, and Jim "Terrorist Rifles" Zumbo all are proof of this. I hope he's got money saved up cause he's going to to need it.
Jericho941

Post by Jericho941 »

Netpackrat wrote:Seems to pretty much confirm that it wasn't taken out of context. He's giving aid and comfort to the enemy; speaking of Yeager and Suarez, if they and McNamara were my only 3 choices for training, I would rather give my money to either of them at this point, and I have little use for them (I'm actually banned from Suarez's forum).

Besides which, his premise is idiotic. If you decide you want to kill somebody, and go to a gun store and buy a gun and ammo for that purpose, that is not a crime of passion or spontaneity, it is premeditated murder. No amount of waiting periods or background checks are going to prevent you from ultimately carrying that out.
Welp. Hell with him, then.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

I listened to a podcast interview this morning that had him seriously backpedaling, claiming that he was taken out of context by Comedy Central (which I think we all assumed no matter what), and that he doesn't really believe those things. But I don't see any way he can explain away the Instagram screen shot, or believably claim that he didn't really mean what he said about waiting periods. He tried to claim he posted it out of anger at the reaction to his video, but I don't buy that.

Either way he should have known better, and there is no undoing the damage he has done by giving ammunition to the antis.

Greg

Post by Greg »

Kommander wrote:This could end him. The firearms community is not very tolerant of "treason" and has a long memory. Smith & Wesson, Bill "10 Rounds" Ruger, and Jim "Terrorist Rifles" Zumbo all are proof of this. I hope he's got money saved up cause he's going to to need it.
Who the fuck is Pat Mac, and why does he have such a stupid name?
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Actually AlaskaTRX and I were registered for one of his classes last summer (held up here), and just a few weeks before the class the promoter went tits up due to most/all of the instructors (including McNamara) bailing on him due to lack of timely payment and other issues. We were told we could still attend, but we would have to pay McNamara directly. We ended up canceling since we refused to pay twice for the same class. I ultimately ended up getting all of my money back from Paypal and my credit card company; I think my brother got half of his back but of course it was after the class had already been held.

Larry Vickers was the real class act in that scenario... He honored his students' payments to the promoter even though he hadn't seen any of the money himself.

scipioafricanus

Post by scipioafricanus »

Screw him, go see John Farnam.

Put that man on the Daily Show and see what happens.
If there is a Stairway to Heaven, is there an Escalator to Hell?
If God wanted men to play soccer, he wouldn’t have given us arms. - Mike Ditka
Jered

Post by Jered »

Greg wrote: Who the fuck is Pat Mac, and why does he have such a stupid name?
Apparently an operating operator that operations operationally.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.