Full faith and Credit - reciprocity

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
Vonz90

Full faith and Credit - reciprocity

Post by Vonz90 »

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/4 ... tate-issue

I happen to think the best plan would be for the federal government to also issue concealed carry permits that would be good nationwide. Alternatively, they could have endorsed standards, for which if you meet that standard your permit would be good nationwide. Something along those lines.
First Shirt

Re: Full faith and Credit - reciprocity

Post by First Shirt »

I certainly don't want the .gov deciding when, and if, I can carry a gun. And we've all seen how standardized driver's tests are, haven't we?

I'd much rather the feds did something useful, like, I don't know, secure the borders, than try to sets standards for concealed carry.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Or they can just say if you have a permit in one state, then every other state must also honor it with criminal penalties for doing otherwise. Thus fulfilling the Fedgov's duty to enforce the Bill of Rights upon the states. Not sure why people feel the need to make things so complicated.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Cobar

Post by Cobar »

Legally at this point I think the best thing would be for the Feds to enforce reciprocity just like drivers. Not that I like the idea. Just that at this point it is probably the best we can hope for.

Personally I go with the constitutional carry idea. I don't care what someone does with a firearm as long as anything they do to actually hurt people is severely punished. Pre-crime bothers me. But at this point I don't really trust the Feds to do much of anything right, so the idea of federal carry permits seems iffy to me. Done right, sure it would be great, but since I don't trust them......
Jered

Post by Jered »

Netpackrat wrote:Or they can just say if you have a permit in one state, then every other state must also honor it with criminal penalties for doing otherwise. Thus fulfilling the Fedgov's duty to enforce the Bill of Rights upon the states. Not sure why people feel the need to make things so complicated.
This.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Jered wrote:
Netpackrat wrote:Or they can just say if you have a permit in one state, then every other state must also honor it with criminal penalties for doing otherwise. Thus fulfilling the Fedgov's duty to enforce the Bill of Rights upon the states. Not sure why people feel the need to make things so complicated.
This.
Exactly! They recognize my driver's license, my marriage license (both of which were easier to get than my pistol permit) and my EMT certification. Why can't they do the same with my pistol permit?
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

1. If states completely have constitutional carry (which I am all for, but it is currently mixed) - then they would not have an ID with which to take to those states that require an actual permit.
2. From a real politic standpoint (which, we live in the real world so we might as well deal with it) the single most effective counter argument to reciprocity is the difference in standards. If there is an optional "national standard" then that argument goes away.
3. I would like to get a back door means for those is lefty states to get permits. Say NY, CA, NJ, IL, etc... - if they can get a national permit in some way, then then the BS in their home state is moot.
4. Again from a real politic standpoint, the best point of national concealed carry is that it expands the constituency for gun rights. All of a sudden people who up to now consider it a weird South/Midwest thing would be getting permits, and thus have an interest in supporting policies and politicians who support that activity.

In the last 20 years Missouri has gone from no carry, to difficult to get carry, to easy to get carry, to constitutional carry. If you build the constituency - you win in the long term. (Also known as don't let perfect be the enemy of the good.)
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Bullshit! Driver's tests aren't standardized, state EMT tests aren't standardized, marriage license requirements aren't standardized. Why should the lack of standardization on CCW permits matter?
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

First Shirt wrote:Bullshit! Driver's tests aren't standardized, state EMT tests aren't standardized, marriage license requirements aren't standardized. Why should the lack of standardization on CCW permits matter?
Sure, I agree with you - but if that keeps us from national CCW then I am willing to deal. Expand the constituency - then get a better deal later.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Vonz, that may be what we end up having to settle for, but it should not be our bargaining position, or what is initially introduced as a bill in Congress.

Edit to add; I also have serious misgivings about conceding the sort of second class right status on the RKBA that such a system would necessarily entail.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop