Full faith and Credit - reciprocity

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
JKosprey

Re: Full faith and Credit - reciprocity

Post by JKosprey »

First Shirt wrote:Bullshit! Driver's tests aren't standardized, state EMT tests aren't standardized, marriage license requirements aren't standardized. Why should the lack of standardization on CCW permits matter?
EMT certification is not standardized. *SOME* states have straightforward reciprocity, but my NYS card is no good in NH, for example. It's a pain in the ass that's actually partially preventing me from moving.
g-man

Post by g-man »

JKosprey wrote:
First Shirt wrote:Bullshit! Driver's tests aren't standardized, state EMT tests aren't standardized, marriage license requirements aren't standardized. Why should the lack of standardization on CCW permits matter?
EMT certification is not standardized. *SOME* states have straightforward reciprocity, but my NYS card is no good in NH, for example. It's a pain in the ass that's actually partially preventing me from moving.
Yes, but as long as you pass the test in the new state, they issue the license. None of the hoplophobic horseshit surrounding gun 'licensing'. Full faith and credit means you honor the license I have when I'm in your state traveling, and as a new resident (if I move) you can require me to get your state's license... but you can't deny me for 'not having a good enough reason', because I already HAD a f**king license.

ETA: I'm not saying some of the licensing test shenanigans aren't crap. But they're miniature pony shit compared to the Clydesdale-sized piles in the realm of firearms.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Kommander

Post by Kommander »

If Trump wanted to be could solve this with a stroke of his pen. I don't know if that would be the best solution, but it certainly would be the most entertaining. I just know that some jackass from a free state would go carry in NYC or DC and the ensuing confrontation with the police could either help or hurt us allot.
Cobar

Post by Cobar »

Kommander wrote:If Trump wanted to be could solve this with a stroke of his pen. I don't know if that would be the best solution, but it certainly would be the most entertaining. I just know that some jackass from a free state would go carry in NYC or DC and the ensuing confrontation with the police could either help or hurt us allot.
Indeed. The bugling veins of rage and fear would be entertaining.
g-man

Post by g-man »

Kommander wrote:If Trump wanted to be could solve this with a stroke of his pen. I don't know if that would be the best solution, but it certainly would be the most entertaining. I just know that some jackass from a free state would go carry in NYC or DC and the ensuing confrontation with the police could either help or hurt us allot.
This. I have no desire to be a test case by carrying where I'm currently discouraged to do so (I won't say not allowed, because 2A gorramit). However, with an appropriately crafted executive order in line with this I'd carry everywhere. Concealed means concealed, but excrement occurs, and knowing I'd have topcover would be all I need. One can hope...
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
NVGdude

Post by NVGdude »

Cobar wrote:Legally at this point I think the best thing would be for the Feds to enforce reciprocity just like drivers.

The Fed's don't enforce reciprocity of Driver's Liscenses. Drivers Licenses are honored under interstate compacts.
Precision

Post by Precision »

Netpackrat wrote:Or they can just say if you have a permit in one state, then every other state must also honor it with criminal penalties for doing otherwise. Thus fulfilling the Fedgov's duty to enforce the Bill of Rights upon the states. Not sure why people feel the need to make things so complicated.
yup,
but you are asking politicians to not politic and fiddle.
We the People need to demand... oh never mind.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

I am not prepared to make perfect the enemy of good.

Give me (and everyone else) a way to reasonably get a CCW that is good in all 50 states. I don't care about the details, we can fix that over time.
Last edited by Vonz90 on Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
randy

Post by randy »

Vonz90 wrote:I don't care about the details, we can fix that over time.
Like when we got shall-issue CCW in Ohio. The original 2004 law had several idiotic provisions that were intended to be poison pills. The law has been incrementally improved since then to the point to where the remaining elements of .gov stupidity are now on the block for removal, hopefully in the next year or so.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
JKosprey

Post by JKosprey »

g-man wrote:Yes, but as long as you pass the test in the new state, they issue the license. None of the hoplophobic horseshit surrounding gun 'licensing'.

ETA: I'm not saying some of the licensing test shenanigans aren't crap. But they're miniature pony shit compared to the Clydesdale-sized piles in the realm of firearms.
Fair enough. I didn't actually consider the distinction between traveling through and moving in this instance either. It does make a difference.