NY Lawmakers Want Childproof handguns

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
Jered

NY Lawmakers Want Childproof handguns

Post by Jered »

Gun banners are stupid.
“There is no reason that a young child five years old should be able to have access to a weapon that he or she could fire,” said the bill’s sponsor, Sen. José M. Serrano, at a press conference earlier this month. “So we need to make sure that all weapons sold in the state of New York are not fireable by children this young.”
So, I wonder where the police will get their weapons?
:roll:
NO PERSON, FIRM, LIMITED LIABILITY COMPANY OR CORPORATION ENGAGED
IN THE RETAIL BUSINESS OF SELLING RIFLES, SHOTGUNS OR FIREARMS SHALL
SELL, DELIVER OR TRANSFER ANY CHILD OPERATED FIREARM TO ANOTHER PERSON.
DELIVER OR TRANSFER ANY CHILD OPERATED FIREARM TO ANOTHER PERSON.
FOR PURPOSES OF THIS SECTION, "CHILD OPERATED FIREARM" MEANS A
PISTOL OR REVOLVER MANUFACTURED TWELVE MONTHS OR MORE AFTER THE EFFEC-
TIVE DATE OF THIS SECTION WHICH DOES NOT CONTAIN A CHILDPROOFING DEVICE
OR MECHANISM INCORPORATED INTO THE DESIGN OF SUCH PISTOL OR REVOLVER TO
EFFECTIVELY PRECLUDE AN AVERAGE FIVE YEAR OLD CHILD FROM OPERATING THE
PISTOL OR REVOLVER.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Darrell

Re: NY Lawmakers Want Childproof handguns

Post by Darrell »

I tried a handgun (a SIG? I don't recall) equipped with a "NYPD" trigger some years ago. If any kid could pull that trigger I'd give 'em a medal.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
g-man

Post by g-man »

My 1911 has a childproofing device... It's called a recoil spring assembly. Stored condition 3, there is no way a 5-y/o can chamber a round. At least not any 5-y/o I've ever met. My WIFE can barely get the slide cycled... I'm not concerned about any kid doing it. Now it's still put away out of reach, but c'mon. Oh, and I'll never own a revolver with a functional integrated trigger lock.

Also, there is a very, very good reason that a 5-y/o should be able to have access to a weapon they can fire: So I can teach them. This would eliminate the Crickett .22, a mainstay for teaching small children about guns for decades.

Sideways, with a rusty chainsaw.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

At least for handguns, strap locks are pretty cool for this. Locks the hammer and prevents the slide from being cycled but takes about a second to remove.

As for anything that is permanently part of the firearm. I supposed I could see a niche application, but as a requirement - F-no.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

I'm thinking the trigger pull should do it. Have they listed any pull weight that's acceptably high?

And that idea about not being able to operate the slide should be enough, too.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
randy

Post by randy »

I was going to post something about how my weapons were stored safe from my then young daughter but still fairly quick to get into action.

But I reminded my self that safety is not the goal of this or any other legislation by statist scum. It's about control of the population. An intermediate step in that goal is to make firearms overly expensive and too cumbersome/unreliable to be used for defensive purposes.

They don't really care about the lives of our children. They welcome the opportunity to dance in the blood of small children so long as those deaths can be used to advance their political agenda.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
g-man

Post by g-man »

randy wrote:I was going to post something about how my weapons were stored safe from my then young daughter but still fairly quick to get into action.

But I reminded my self that safety is not the goal of this or any other legislation by statist scum. It's about control of the population. An intermediate step in that goal is to make firearms overly expensive and too cumbersome/unreliable to be used for defensive purposes.

They don't really care about the lives of our children. They welcome the opportunity to dance in the blood of small children so long as those deaths can be used to advance their political agenda.
This.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Cobar

Post by Cobar »

I always wonder how many of them actually believe their own crap. Either they do, or they are just using it to pander to the coward demographic that want the bad guns to go away. On the gripping hand I wonder how many really want to make the bad guns go away because they know they deserve to be shot.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Cobar wrote:On the gripping hand I wonder how many really want to make the bad guns go away because they know they deserve to be shot.
Combine this with fact that they want to shoot those of us who don't want to knuckle under without risk of being shot back at, and you might be onto something.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

I want [strike]NY[/strike] lawmaker-proof children.
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!