50% of US Murders Happen in 2% of Counties

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
Jered

50% of US Murders Happen in 2% of Counties

Post by Jered »

In 2014, the latest year for which sufficient data is available, half of all murders in the United States took place in just 63 U.S. counties — two percent of the 3,144 counties in the country. Two-thirds of all murders that year happened in 157 counties — five percent. On the other hand, according to John Lott, the author of the study by his Crime Prevention Research Center, more than half had no murders at all.
This shouldn't really come as a surprise to anyone.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
BDK

Re: 50% of US Murders Happen in 2% of Counties

Post by BDK »

I'd be interested to see that broken down by ZIP code... I suspect its really 2% of neighborhoods...
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

Wonder what proportion of that was Cook County, IL.
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

BDK wrote:I'd be interested to see that broken down by ZIP code... I suspect its really 2% of neighborhoods...
This version of the article has some nice maps: http://crimeresearch.org/2017/04/number ... -1-murder/

They use Los Angeles county, one of the top counties for number of murders, as an example. Beverly Hills, Hawthorne, and Van Nuys had one murder each. The county as a whole had 526.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

I wonder what percentage of the murder counties had a Dem controlled government?
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
Jered

Post by Jered »

skb12172 wrote:I wonder what percentage of the murder counties had a Dem controlled government?
Based on the 2017 election results, I'm going to have to guess a lot..
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Here's a fun little fact: in 2010, the Brooklyn neighborhood of East New York had 33 homicides. That same year, the entire borough of Staten Island had 16.. And more than 5 times the population of the former. :shock:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Cybrludite

Post by Cybrludite »

We're number one! So very happy that the Mayor is so focused on more important stuff, like tearing down statues in response to Dylan Roof.
"If it ain't the Devil's Music, you ain't doin' it right." - Chris Thomas King

"When liberal democracies collapse, someone comes along who promises to make the trains run on time if we load the right people into them." - Tam K.
Greg

Post by Greg »

HTRN wrote:Here's a fun little fact: in 2010, the Brooklyn neighborhood of East New York had 33 homicides. That same year, the entire borough of Staten Island had 16.. And more than 5 times the population of the former. :shock:
East New York isn't the worst, either. (Or at least it wasn't, when I lived next to it.)

But yes, it's bad. I don't miss it.

The nearest ER from where I lived when I was in HS was over in East New York. Fun times in more ways than one when they thought I had appendicitis.

Later on, when I lived in NJ, I found out my PCP had done a stint at that same hospital. Fun conversation. (It's a surprisingly good hospital, just never forget it's in the ghetto.)
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Greg

Post by Greg »

Jered wrote:
skb12172 wrote:I wonder what percentage of the murder counties had a Dem controlled government?
Based on the 2017 election results, I'm going to have to guess a lot..
The 'client' part of the patron-client party have to live somewhere.

Where the patron part lives are generally pretty nice areas.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr