Hispanic Oregon Judge Helps Illegal Escape ICE

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
BDK

Re: Hispanic Oregon Judge Helps Illegal Escape ICE

Post by BDK »

If the news story is right, she's being investigated.

I don't think "wise Latina" status will save her
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

BDK wrote:If the news story is right, she's being investigated.

I don't think "wise Latina" status will save her
This - you just dont pull federal judges off thier seat willy nilly.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Jered

Post by Jered »

HTRN wrote: This - you just dont pull federal judges off thier seat willy nilly.
She's a state judge.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

You dont just pull any judge off their seat, not witout judycial review, otherwise it smacks of justice taking a back seat to politics, which is seriously bad news.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Jered

Post by Jered »

HTRN wrote:You dont just pull any judge off their seat, not witout judycial review, otherwise it smacks of justice taking a back seat to politics, which is seriously bad news.
At what point do we conclude that she's not being charged, disbarred, or disciplined because justice is taking a back seat to politics? If you helped a criminal escape from the police, and the police knew about it, they probably would arrest you, right?

I hope they do something, because this is (presumably) a breach of professional ethics. Here's the model from the American Bar Association:
DR 1-102 -Misconduct.
(A) -A lawyer shall not:
(1) -Violate a Disciplinary Rule.
(2) -Circumvent a Disciplinary Rule through actions of another.
(3) -Engage in illegal conduct involving moral turpitude.13
(4) -Engage in conduct involving dishonesty, fraud, deceit, or misrepresentation.
(5) -Engage in conduct that is prejudicial to the administration of justice.
(6) -Engage in any other conduct that adversely reflects on his fitness to practice law.
“The term ‘moral turpitude’ has been used in the law for centuries. It has been the subject of many decisions by the courts
but has never been clearly defined because of the nature of the term. Perhaps the best general definition of the term ‘moral
turpitude’ is that it imparts an act of baseness, vileness or depravity in the duties which one person owes to another or to
It's probably also a violation of a US law called, "harboring an illegal alien."

(a) Criminal penalties
(1)
(A) Any person who—
(i) knowing that a person is an alien, brings to or attempts to bring to the United States in any manner whatsoever such person at a place other than a designated port of entry or place other than as designated by the Commissioner, regardless of whether such alien has received prior official authorization to come to, enter, or reside in the United States and regardless of any future official action which may be taken with respect to such alien;
(ii) knowing or in reckless disregard of the fact that an alien has come to, entered, or remains in the United States in violation of law, transports, or moves or attempts to transport or move such alien within the United States by means of transportation or otherwise, in furtherance of such violation of law;
(iii) knowing or in reckless disregard of the fact that an alien has come to, entered, or remains in the United States in violation of law, conceals, harbors, or shields from detection, or attempts to conceal, harbor, or shield from detection, such alien in any place, including any building or any means of transportation;
(iv) encourages or induces an alien to come to, enter, or reside in the United States, knowing or in reckless disregard of the fact that such coming to, entry, or residence is or will be in violation of law; or
(v)
(I) engages in any conspiracy to commit any of the preceding acts, or
(II) aids or abets the commission of any of the preceding acts,
shall be punished as provided in subparagraph (B).
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

If nothing is done, expect this to explode. I can't believe it hasn't already.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

skb12172 wrote:If nothing is done, expect this to explode. I can't believe it hasn't already.
I have no problem with it taking time, determining just what happened, and deciding if anything illegal was done, before punishing her.

We've all seen the results of rush-to-judgment (Zimmerman to name one). We're not leftists, we believe in presumption of innocence until proven guilty.
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

Like when somebody drives through a crowd or shoots someone in public, not much doubt about what happened here.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
Jered

Post by Jered »

MarkD wrote: I have no problem with it taking time, determining just what happened, and deciding if anything illegal was done, before punishing her.
I've already quoted a relevant portion of the law in this thread.

You can read the full text here.

These ICE Agents were probably 1801s, too.