TX GOP not in favor of the wall

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
Vonz90

TX GOP not in favor of the wall

Post by Vonz90 »

https://www.wsj.com/articles/texas-repu ... 1487810283

I am not totally for "the wall" (not against it either, just think it is being over sold). That said, if you care about the goal, this is exactly the kind of thing eminent domain was invented for.
Rich

Re: TX GOP not in favor of the wall

Post by Rich »

One thing to keep in mind is that many Texans have family on both sides of the wall. If I were in that situation I would not be in favor of "Checkpoint Charlie" either.
A weak government usually remains a servant of citizens, while a strong government usually becomes the master of its subjects.
- paraphrased from several sources

A choice, not an echo. - Goldwater campaign, 1964
BDK

Post by BDK »

The wall needs to be on the MX side. Barricading folks from their land is BS. (In some places, it's almost a mile back from the border)
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Rich wrote:One thing to keep in mind is that many Texans have family on both sides of the wall. If I were in that situation I would not be in favor of "Checkpoint Charlie" either.
Sure, neither would I. However, that is exactly what eminent domain is for. A public good requires taking (with full compensation) - so you take it and pay (or they keep their land and you pay them for the inconvenience, I suppose that could work but seems to have boondoggle written all over it.)