Trump Month1 recap

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
blackeagle603

Trump Month1 recap

Post by blackeagle603 »

Common wisdom: President Trump has plunged the White House into ethical and moral chaos (the forced resignation of national security adviser Michael Flynn after intelligence bureaucrats leaked evidence of alleged phone conversations with Russian officials). Or Trump is constitutionally incompetent and a racist, Christianist tyrant besides (the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals’s squelching of his executive order declaring a visa moratorium for citizens of seven Muslim-majority, terrorism-riddled countries). Or Trump is just plain “delusional,” to borrow a word from New York magazine columnist Andrew Sullivan, who seems to think that Trump needs some tender loving care from Nurse Ratched.

If so, Trump is delusional all the way to the bank. His first month in office has been, let’s face it, a smashing success. He has already taken steps via executive order to fulfill at least a dozen of his campaign promises:...

USA Today, Charlotte Allen: RTWT
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
First Shirt

Re: Trump Month1 recap

Post by First Shirt »

His selections of Mattis, Tillerson, Pruitt, Sessions, DeVos, and McMasters have already made this administration a success! If Gorsuch is confirmed, and the two senile Justices wander off and get lost, this term is a win for us all!
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

I was more of an anti-Hillary than pro Trump voter, but I must say, I am thoroughly enjoying the foaming at the mouth insanity he has engendered on the Left. As has been said elsewhere, no matter who the president would be, as long as he was Republican, we'd be having "____ derangement syndrome". That it is Trump, with his particular persona, only makes it sweeter.

:roll:
Eppur si muove--Galileo
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

Darrell wrote:I was more of an anti-Hillary than pro Trump voter, but I must say, I am thoroughly enjoying the foaming at the mouth insanity he has engendered on the Left.
Same here. He makes all the right heads explode, I'll give him that.
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
Precision

Post by Precision »

As Mark Levin said the other day. "So far, Trump is way more conservative than either of the Bush Presidents and a site more than anyone else except possibly Reagan in the last 50 years. So far, but we haven't seen his infrastructure bill or any of the other meet them in the middle initiatives."

I will give the man the credit he deserves. So far, he made promises on the campaign trail and pretty much within his ability he is honoring them. So far, most of his appointees are good to great. So far he is successfully blasting the media for their bias and 5th column efforts. So far he is working to make America Great Again.

Time is always the true teller of the tale, but quite honestly he is doing way more and way better than I expected. Not to mention a damn site better than the election day alternative that had a chance at winning.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

George Will is continuing his Eeyore impersonation and forecasting an abandonment of Trump by conservatives by summer. And Trump's true colors or something like that showing through. RTWT at Brietbart here

He misses that Trump IS performing now.

To be fair, IMHO he's right about watching the Freedom Caucus as a bell weather vis a vis Trump's populist streak and the budget. However he misses that infrastructure type spending is strategic in neutering the Left. It's a savvy application of an Alinskyite tactic on the Left. Actual projects and end products from .gov spending will take the "invest in infrastructure" issue away from the Dems by actually building stuff. It will also shine a light on Obama's shovel ready boondoggle and the likes of CA Brown and Legislature neglect of basic infrasture like water reservoirs.

As for defense spends, there is a lot called for even in support of an America first focus that pulls back from neoconservative nation building evangelistic invasions. The Navy for example, is hurting for both quantity and quality of big hardware like ships and airframes (Marines are still flying legacy "C" Hornets for Pete's sake). Years of freedom of navigation games are ahead with China. We are a maritime nation still, wholly dependent on sea lanes for the health of our economy and security. Ergo I see a strong Navy and WesPac presence working with Japan, Viet Nam, Korea, Taiwan et al to keep China polite at sea as a strategic imperative for us.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Rod

Post by Rod »

blackeagle603 wrote: We are a maritime nation still, wholly dependent on sea lanes for the health of our economy and security. Ergo I see a strong Navy and WesPac presence working with Japan, Viet Nam, Korea, Taiwan et al to keep China polite at sea as a strategic imperative for us.
I'd like for him to restart the commercial ship building industry again and start running more American built, American flagged ships. I'm not talking cruise liners either. Do away with onerous maritime laws that gives the advantage to foreign flagged ships.
one can be a Democrat, or one can choose to be an American.
Good acting requires an imagination; reality requires a person not getting lost in their imagination.
"It's better to have a gun if you need it". Felix's opthamologist
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

The Jones Act needs to go away, but I don't think that would have the effect you are after.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

I'd like for him to restart the commercial ship building industry again and start running more American built, American flagged ships
How would he (we) do that?

Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

blackeagle603 wrote:
I'd like for him to restart the commercial ship building industry again and start running more American built, American flagged ships
How would he (we) do that?
The US commercial shipbuilding is about a $35 billion dollar industry (roughly half of what the US Automotive industry is). Despite the gloom and doom, it is not doing that bad (and was actually booming a few years ago. As one would expect, we do better at high end ship construction. The low end stuff is mostly in Asian and Eastern European or Mediterranean yards; especially as a number of those countries (Japan, Korea, China, Poland, Greece, etc.) heavily subsidize their shipbuilding.

More favorable capital and tax treatment would probably be the best thing for the US yards the same as most manufacturing. I am sure there is a labor component there too but would need to dig around there, but it is heavily unionized and that cannot help their competitiveness.

For US flagged ships, breaking the unions and relaxing regulation would be helpful (and of course taxes). You would not believe how much merchant mariners make these days. However, a lot of the bulk guys are just basement cheap looking to save every nickel. You will never get the sheer numbers a Panama, Liberia, Malta etc. - but who cares?