The BATFE deputy director just said what?!?!?

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
Kommander

Re: The BATFE deputy director just said what?!?!?

Post by Kommander »

Netpackrat wrote:And a lot of the US made Sigs, AKs, etc. are crap compared to the foreign made units.
The concern is that the Chinese will flood the market with cheap crap and hurt allot of American manufactures. We like to think that the gun market here stand by American products but $300 Chinese ARs would really put that mentality to the test.
slowpoke

Post by slowpoke »

Kommander wrote:
Netpackrat wrote:And a lot of the US made Sigs, AKs, etc. are crap compared to the foreign made units.
The concern is that the Chinese will flood the market with cheap crap and hurt allot of American manufactures. We like to think that the gun market here stand by American products but $300 Chinese ARs would really put that mentality to the test.
You can get thousand dollar Arsenal AK's, people dont like excellent quality when they can get decent for a lot less. And yes Chinese ARs at three hundred a pop will kill the industry.

I usd to think that free trade would work better formthe country. The two things that changed my mind was watching the electronics industry implode from the inside, and then the gun industry blossom due to unintended consequences of the gun controllers policies of import bans. Further research on free trade shows that thise who came up with the idea realized it required free movement of peoples too. Now i'm pretty sure we've been screwed over on it.
"Islam delenda est" Aesop
Rod

Post by Rod »

From what I read, this was an internal memo giving some ideas on what the ATF could do to make it more "presentable". Whoever leaked it could be in a heap of trouble.
one can be a Democrat, or one can choose to be an American.
Good acting requires an imagination; reality requires a person not getting lost in their imagination.
"It's better to have a gun if you need it". Felix's opthamologist
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Kommander wrote:
Easy solution is you can not export to here something that we can't export to there.
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Vonz90 wrote: Easy solution is you can not export to here something that we can't export to there.
Nah, that makes too much sense, they'd never go for something like that. ( I can remember reading a report once that showed that a Toyota Corolla cost only 2K more in the US than it did in Japan. A Chevy Cavalier, that cost the same amount in the US as the Corolla, cost almost 40K in Japan.) I'm all for fair trade, as long as it FAIR!
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

slowpoke wrote:
Kommander wrote:
You can get thousand dollar Arsenal AK's, people dont like excellent quality when they can get decent for a lot less. And yes Chinese ARs at three hundred a pop will kill the industry.

I usd to think that free trade would work better formthe country. The two things that changed my mind was watching the electronics industry implode from the inside, and then the gun industry blossom due to unintended consequences of the gun controllers policies of import bans. Further research on free trade shows that thise who came up with the idea realized it required free movement of peoples too. Now i'm pretty sure we've been screwed over on it.
So, because corporate welfare for the US gun industry, I should be subject to being felonized if I build myself an AK containing the wrong number of foreign made parts. Got it.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
slowpoke

Post by slowpoke »

Netpackrat wrote:
slowpoke wrote:
Kommander wrote: The concern is that the Chinese will flood the market with cheap crap and hurt allot of American manufactures. We like to think that the gun market here stand by American products but $300 Chinese ARs would really put that mentality to the test.

So, because corporate welfare for the US gun industry, I should be subject to being felonized if I build myself an AK containing the wrong number of foreign made parts. Got it.
I'm open to changing it all, but I do take the protectionist view.
Kommander

Post by Kommander »

Netpackrat wrote: So, because corporate welfare for the US gun industry, I should be subject to being felonized if I build myself an AK containing the wrong number of foreign made parts. Got it.
None of us are saying that and you know it. There is absolutely no reason why we can't eleminate ridiculous import restrictions while ensuring that American gun manufactures are getting a fair shake in the market.
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

First Shirt wrote:
Vonz90 wrote: Easy solution is you can not export to here something that we can't export to there.
Nah, that makes too much sense, they'd never go for something like that. ( I can remember reading a report once that showed that a Toyota Corolla cost only 2K more in the US than it did in Japan. A Chevy Cavalier, that cost the same amount in the US as the Corolla, cost almost 40K in Japan.) I'm all for fair trade, as long as it FAIR!
The TPP was supposed to fix that, but that is dead (Thanks Trump!). All of the countries that were parties to that have higher trade barriers than we do, so the deal pretty much consisted of them lowering barriers to where ours already are.

I am open to the idea that Obama admin made a bad deal, but I have yet to see anything that demonstrates it to any degree. Certainly the broad outlines were fine.
slowpoke

Post by slowpoke »

Vonz90 wrote:
First Shirt wrote:
The TPP was supposed to fix that, but that is dead (Thanks Trump!). All of the countries that were parties to that have higher trade barriers than we do, so the deal pretty much consisted of them lowering barriers to where ours already are.

I am open to the idea that Obama admin made a bad deal, but I have yet to see anything that demonstrates it to any degree. Certainly the broad outlines were fine.
It required us to take active steps to allow them to better compete in service industries here. Bye Bye CPA jobs, programmer jobs, tech support, etc.
And thats just the bits known, a lot in that treaty was protected information to a very high level. Fuck them for that.