The Trump Administration: Day One

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
Termite

The Trump Administration: Day One

Post by Termite »

TTP is gone.

The "Mexico City" Abortion policy, a rule that prevents federal money from going to international aid groups that provide abortions or offer information about the procedure, is re-instituted.

Freeze on federal hiring, except for employees involved with national security such as members of the military.

LINKY

I wonder what tomorrow will bring........ :lol:
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
scipioafricanus

Re: The Trump Administration: Day One

Post by scipioafricanus »

Thumbs up!
If there is a Stairway to Heaven, is there an Escalator to Hell?
If God wanted men to play soccer, he wouldn’t have given us arms. - Mike Ditka
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Termite wrote:TTP is gone.

Back tracking on the immigration front. :x

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/44 ... aca-or-not

Hopefully, this is just a strategic blip, but I fear not.

That said, Trump cannot disappoint me, because I do not expect much from him.
slowpoke

Post by slowpoke »

Vonz90 wrote:

National Review has blown their credability going after Trump during the election. I think infowars has a better reputation at this point.
"Islam delenda est" Aesop
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

And there goes my chance for a GS-12 this year. Because having gone through the trouble of obtaining the architecture degree and making $64k is excessive to a man with billions in property and $$$.

I'll probably start looking into an Afghanistan tour in anticipation of this not making the 90 day cancellation.
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

slowpoke wrote:
Vonz90 wrote:

National Review has blown their credability going after Trump during the election. I think infowars has a better reputation at this point.
It very much remains to be seen if NR was wrong or right concern Trump. My guess is that by the end of his administration they will be looking fairly prescient, but I hope I am wrong (as, at least per what they say, do they).

For what it is worth, NR has been hawks for less immigration since the 80's and a big part of their opposing Trump was that he did not seem particularly serious about the issue even though he made it the centerpiece of the campaign. The particular fear is that his fecklessness will discredit the position; I happen to think that is a viable concern.

They are not a party mouthpiece, their goal is to advance conservatism (a particular version of it, AKA fusion conservatism). Trump is no conservative, so they opposed him in the election. (As a staff editorial position, Mark Kirkorian who wrote this piece is actually a Trump supporter and was listed as a Trump advisor on immigration in some places.)

In any case, this is not new for NR, they opposed Nixon too and refused to endorse him. This makes sense to me, if your goal is to advance a point of view, and you do not think the nominee will advance that goal, why endorse him?
randy

Post by randy »

slowpoke wrote: National Review has blown their credability going after Trump during the election. I think infowars has a better reputation at this point.
Not so much.

NR is and has always presented themselves as a source of commentary and opinion, not as a news source. They have a (well stated) point of view on events and are up front about it.

infowars purports to be a news source bringing out THE TRUTH!!!111!!!.

NR writers exist in our universe. I'm not so sure about Alex Jones.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

After the election, I was in the "Oh, 5H!T, what have we done?" camp. Now, I'm cautiously optimistic. If he can do one-tenth of the things he wants to do, I'll be tickled to death, and will vote for him in 2020. The simple fact that he's infuriated and marginalized the MSM is almost worth the aggravation he causes. I think (again with the cautious optimism) that he'll do okay. Of course, considering the last president, who didn't just lower the bar, he laid it on the floor, he can't do much worse, can he?
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
randy

Post by randy »

Let's all keep in mind that back tracking and neglecting core constituents by Trump still beats active pursuit of statist evil by Hillary.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".