The Trump Administration: Day One

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
randy

Re: The Trump Administration: Day One

Post by randy »

Caution Flag guys
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

We lost the Senate seat in Alabama because Bitch McConjob wouldn't back the Republican that could have won the election (Mo Brooks), he backed his buddy, who lost the primary to a certifiable nut job.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Greg

Post by Greg »

Vonz90 wrote:
Greg wrote:
Vonz90 wrote:
Stick your fingers in your ear scream if you want (which is what your statement is) but it doesn't make Trump an effective executive or a conservative.
Ummm.....

I don't really care what Trump is. I *care* that he is DELIVERING on promises he made to the conservative base, far more so than anyone had any right to expect.

I *care* that TDS is damaging the Progressive cause and the reputation, stature, and social status of Progressive institutions more than anyone ever has, ever.

You.... Don't. Maybe that's your problem.
Dude, we just lost a Senate seat in fracking Alabama, but sure - everything is going swimmingly - I am sure the lefties are feeling really hurt now. If stuff like that doesn't worry you I don't know what would.

If conservatives end up in the wilderness out of this for 10 years (like say post Watergate) then the country is likely permanently fucked. Maybe not realizing that risk is your problem.
Tell me, when I talk about NeverTrump class warfare, do you honestly have any idea what I'm talking about?

It's not like you to pick a fight and do so *badly*.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
slowpoke

Post by slowpoke »

Conservatism is dead. It has been dead for a while. Just watch the old GOP conserve Obamacare in eatly 2017, then ask yourself, “what has conservatism conserved?”
I know its tough but Trump just moved the political landscape under everyones feet. Right now its not leftest vs conservative, but globalist versus nationalist. If you want to keep your national sovergnity you should back the nationalist, and that would be Trump. Also don’t forget that Bush Sr. was a globalist with his New World Order, and boosting the UN’s power over our national defense and foreign policy.
If you think you can be free under a global government I have a nice bridge to sell you.
"Islam delenda est" Aesop
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

First Shirt wrote:We lost the Senate seat in Alabama because Bitch McConjob wouldn't back the Republican that could have won the election (Mo Brooks), he backed his buddy, who lost the primary to a certifiable nut job.
Pretty much that. Roy Moore is a walking, talking monument to his own ego. For all his numerous flaws, Moore still would have been better than the Lao Donk who got the seat, but Brooks probably would have been better yet.

That can be laid at the feet of the establishment: McConnell, Graham, McCain, and their ilk. Look at what has been coming out of the pie holes of supposed conservative stalwarts and thought leaders since before the 2016 election.

Bret Stephens from the WSJ wanted Field Marshal Rodham (hat tip: Billy Beck) to carry all 50 states so that Republican voters would "learn their lesson." Just think about that for a minute. Personally, I can't think about it for more than a minute, because RCOB (and I'm not even registered as a Republicrat any more).

Bill Kristol tweeted that he would rather be ruled by the Deep State than by Trump, and then raced to be the first aboard the Winfrey Express (whether there is one or not).

These are hardly the only examples.

I was not much of a Trump fan either. Still ain't. But there are two major data points that have my attention:

1. From the day he first won a primary, he has made all the right heads explode.
2. He basically said, "Hold my beer," walked off the sidelines into a game rigged against him in every way anyone thought they could get away with...and won.

I'm hearing a song, and I think it's "Ballad of a Thin Man."
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Dude, he is POTUS- head if the bloody party and all that comes with it; he is the establishment.
Rich

Post by Rich »

I'm waiting for the first atlas to be printed naming the USA as Trumpland USA.

It could happen.
A weak government usually remains a servant of citizens, while a strong government usually becomes the master of its subjects.
- paraphrased from several sources

A choice, not an echo. - Goldwater campaign, 1964
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Greg wrote:
Vonz90 wrote:
Greg wrote: Ummm.....

I don't really care what Trump is. I *care* that he is DELIVERING on promises he made to the conservative base, far more so than anyone had any right to expect.

I *care* that TDS is damaging the Progressive cause and the reputation, stature, and social status of Progressive institutions more than anyone ever has, ever.

You.... Don't. Maybe that's your problem.
Dude, we just lost a Senate seat in fracking Alabama, but sure - everything is going swimmingly - I am sure the lefties are feeling really hurt now. If stuff like that doesn't worry you I don't know what would.

If conservatives end up in the wilderness out of this for 10 years (like say post Watergate) then the country is likely permanently fucked. Maybe not realizing that risk is your problem.
Tell me, when I talk about NeverTrump class warfare, do you honestly have any idea what I'm talking about?

It's not like you to pick a fight and do so *badly*.
We are definitely talking past each other, likely because "Never Trump" means different things depending on the context. In the end it is more of an election thing but it does capture a point of view or actually several related ones that comes down to is he going to be a disaster when this is all said or done. You have latched on to those who are coming from the left, I am pointing out that there are more than a few coming from the right.

Certainly there are some not really conservatives who are showing their true colors- had that with Bush and Obama too. I don't really care about them because none of them are particularly surprising to me. Politicians will always disappoint you as they say.

Sure, he has the Obama quality of being good at trolling the opposition. I don't consider that a positive of itself. Can he build and lead a coalition? I have seen no evidence that he can and a lot that is quite the opposite. Building purity is how you go to electoral minority. A lot of game to be played and I will be thrilled if I am wrong, but unfortunately I don't think I am.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

MiddleAgedKen wrote:That can be laid at the feet of the establishment: McConnell, Graham, McCain, and their ilk. Look at what has been coming out of the pie holes of supposed conservative stalwarts and thought leaders since before the 2016 election.
At this point you can make a pretty sound argument that the above prefer to be the minority party.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
BDK

Post by BDK »

Just because the DOJ is still barely staffed, as the Senate will not vote on Trump’s nominees?