Clock boy SLAPPed for $80k minimum

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
Weetabix

Clock boy SLAPPed for $80k minimum

Post by Weetabix »

This is too funny not to start a new thread.

According to Popehat, the defendants in Clock Boy's defamation suit have countersued and won. Basically the anti-SLAPP law lets a defendant sued for speech force the plaintiff to validate their claim. If the plaintiff fails, they have to pay the defendants attorneys' fees.

And Clock Boy has lost the first round with two defendants. The rest are apparently lining up to file anti-SLAPP suits. Popehat estimates Clock Boy's family totals could run to $300,000 in defendants' attorneys' fees they'll have to repay.

Linky
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
randy

Re: Clock boy SLAPPed for $80k minimum

Post by randy »

- :D
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Precision

Post by Precision »

such a shame. couldn't happen to a better family. Not that they will ever pay. Muzrat that has left the country already.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
Jered

Post by Jered »

That sucks for them.

:lol:
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

There using anti SLAPP rules to recover legal fees, but this is nviously not a SLAPP case.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

HTRN wrote:There using anti SLAPP rules to recover legal fees, but this is nviously not a SLAPP case.
Clearly IANAL. And SLAPPED made me smile. ;)
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Strategic Lawsuit Against Public Participation.

In other words, a scheme where large corporations using legal bullying to silence critics of their morally dubious money making ventures. Some of these lawsuits were so offensive, that states changed their laws to make the consequences of using them, very, very expensive - see "SLAPPback"
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
randy

Post by randy »

Some of the articles I've read named CAIR in the role of Evil Corporation backing the father on this, thus putting it into the realm of SLAPP given the pattern of some of their other activities against persons that dare criticize the "religion of peace".
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

If they return, can those judgements be discharged in bankruptcy? I confess that they had me fooled. At the time, I supported the kid. Of course, I worked in the public schools and have seen a lot of heavy-handed, authoritarian bullshit.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

randy wrote:Some of the articles I've read named CAIR in the role of Evil Corporation
This efinitely smells of their particular brand of assholery. :ugeek: