Who shaped Chicago police culture?

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
Vonz90

Who shaped Chicago police culture?

Post by Vonz90 »

Kind of surprising to see this in a Chicago paper.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/colu ... olumn.html
randy

Re: Who shaped Chicago police culture?

Post by randy »

Hmmmm, maybe The Machine ain't happy about Emanuel and this is their opening shot of a primary (that is to say the only election that counts in Mordor on Michigan)?
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

Previous column by Kass on the same topic:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/colu ... olumn.html

Another, from a different publication, from FIVE years ago:

http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Magaz ... y-Alliance

BLUF: they know who's causing the problems, but they shot themselves in the foot 25 years ago in an attempt to been seen doing SOMETHING, instead of something effective, and they did what they did at least in part, because the gangs and the pols (especially aldermen in the high crime areas) were in bed with the gangs. Add in 8 years of Obama/Holder/Lynch DoJ crying Racism! over everything, and you've got a recipe for disaster.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

Ernie Souchak. :) (I think the filmmakers had Mike Royko in mind...but never mind.)
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
scipioafricanus

Post by scipioafricanus »

Forgive Godwin's Law, but blaming the CPD is like blaming the German Army in WW2 while ignoring who was in charge.
If there is a Stairway to Heaven, is there an Escalator to Hell?
If God wanted men to play soccer, he wouldn’t have given us arms. - Mike Ditka
Greg

Post by Greg »

scipioafricanus wrote:Forgive Godwin's Law, but blaming the CPD is like blaming the German Army in WW2 while ignoring who was in charge.
I think you have it backwards.

To use the analogy.... I do think this piece is aimed at people who really really loathe the Wehrmacht, and what it does is point out that 'hey, these guys have bosses'. Hint, hint.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Greg wrote:
scipioafricanus wrote:Forgive Godwin's Law, but blaming the CPD is like blaming the German Army in WW2 while ignoring who was in charge.
I think you have it backwards.

To use the analogy.... I do think this piece is aimed at people who really really loathe the Wehrmacht, and what it does is point out that 'hey, these guys have bosses'. Hint, hint.
I am going to be a bit fusionist and say it goes both ways. I actually think the Wehrmacht analogy is not bad. In that case the rot was at the very top and that is where the majority of the blame lies, but I do not hold those who acted dishonorably blameless. There were those who did their job the best they could as it was meant to be done and those who went along with the bad things and others who jumped in the pile of shit face first. The level of guilt rests relative to what was done.

The Chicago Dem party is not the Nazi part (even if some members of it aspire to that level) - but the rot in Chicago is a logical result of the actions they have taken over the years. The Chicago PD is what you get with leadership over the years. I am sure the housing and sanitation departments in Chicago are just as compromised, but they don't shoot people in the street as part of their job description.
randy

Post by randy »

I hate Illinois Nazis

Someone had to say it ;)
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".