National CCW Reciprocity

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
Vonz90

National CCW Reciprocity

Post by Vonz90 »

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/01 ... -bill.html

I don't think it will get through, but you have to try to find out eventually. This would probably be a good kicker for the remaining "may issue" states. I have a hard time seeing them hold the line on that when everyone from other states can come in and do the same (or get a FL out of state license, or whatever.)
Precision

Re: National CCW Reciprocity

Post by Precision »

the libertarian in me does not want national CCW reciprocity shoved down our throats by the FEDS. The Pragmatist in me wants to shove it down the throats of MD, NJ, CA ... the same way they shove gay marriage etc down our throats. Pun intended.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

Precision wrote:the libertarian in me does not want national CCW reciprocity shoved down our throats by the FEDS. The Pragmatist in me wants to shove it down the throats of MD, NJ, CA ... the same way they shove gay marriage etc down our throats. Pun intended.

You don't really think NY, NJ, CA, IL, MD, etc will actually FOLLOW such a law. You know, the same states that won't follow US immigration laws and deport the illegals.

They'll be building snowmen in Hell before they'll be carrying in NJ.

They'd be all about states' rights then.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Precision wrote:the libertarian in me does not want national CCW reciprocity shoved down our throats by the FEDS. The Pragmatist in me wants to shove it down the throats of MD, NJ, CA ... the same way they shove gay marriage etc down our throats. Pun intended.
You don't want the federal government enforcing the Constitution on the states? Do you feel that way about the entire bill of rights, or just the Second Amendment?
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Durham68

Post by Durham68 »

MarkD wrote:

You don't really think NY, NJ, CA, IL, MD, etc will actually FOLLOW such a law. You know, the same states that won't follow US immigration laws and deport the illegals.

They'll be building snowmen in Hell before they'll be carrying in NJ.

They'd be all about states' rights then.
This. Cops in half of those states don't even honor FOPA. Even if it did pass, I don't think the feds have the guts to make it stick.
"Unattended children will be given an espresso and a puppy"
Kommander

Post by Kommander »

There are two ways this can go to the court system if it becomes law. The first is that a few state sue citing *snerk* states rights. If they loose then they are obviously obligated to follow the law. If they decide to still hastle carriers or refuse to take the law into the court system themselves we then need someone to be a test case and take the law to the Supremes that way. They will have to be dragged kicking and screaming but in the end once they loose a few civil suits they will get line.
Rustyv

Post by Rustyv »

No they won't. They'll wait until they have a test case that they want, then run it up the chain until the Supremes agree that yes, the Hells Angles with felony records shouldn't be allowed to carry firearms across state lines. This will then be misinterpreted as nobody should be allowed to carry, and we're right back where we started.

See FOPA

And, now the Feds have another avenue to regulate concealed carry.

My inclination is to drag the last may-issue/no-carry states kicking and screaming into the 21st century, but I fear we still have a lot of work normalizing firearms in the culture before we get to the "bludgenoning-old-democrats-with-the-Feds" stage.
Welcome to the internet: Where men are men, women are men, and children are FBI agents.

Dance like it hurts, Love like you need the money, Work like people are watching - Scott Adams
Jered

Post by Jered »

Netpackrat wrote:
You don't want the federal government enforcing the Constitution on the states? Do you feel that way about the entire bill of rights, or just the Second Amendment?
Point of order. It's not in the Bill of Rights.
Full Faith and Credit shall be given in each State to the public Acts, Records, and judicial Proceedings of every other State. And the Congress may by general Laws prescribe the Manner in which such Acts, Records and Proceedings shall be proved, and the Effect thereof.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

You would need several successful high-profile 42 USC 1983 convictions accompanied by sizable judgments and stints in FPYITA prison to make them behave.

:jacked: This puts me in mind of something I've been thinking since the election. It probably won't work out this way, but one of the things that has happened to some extent is that the institutional left (media, academia, entertainment, [strike]Dang[/strike] Dem Cong) have run their default playbook, and it hasn't worked. In some ways it has even backfired.

In other words, they have been driven back to Medicine, and the process of showing them that their medicine is no good has (maybe) begun. It's the lesson of "Spanish Man's Grave." That's what it would take to enforce CCW reciprocity: LEOs and prosecutors pulling their usual, only to find themselves breaking rocks in gen pop at Leavenworth for five years.
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
Jered

Post by Jered »

MiddleAgedKen wrote: In other words, they have been driven back to Medicine, and the process of showing them that their medicine is no good has (maybe) begun. It's the lesson of "Spanish Man's Grave." That's what it would take to enforce CCW reciprocity: LEOs and prosecutors pulling their usual, only to find themselves breaking rocks in gen pop at Leavenworth for five years.
18 US Code 242

Since they'd likely be NYFC Jersey, or fucking Commiefornians, I could live with that.

Even if they weren't, I could live with that, I'd probably welcome it.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.