National CCW Reciprocity

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
Kommander

Re: National CCW Reciprocity

Post by Kommander »

Has anyone actually taken a FOPA case to the supreme Court? I think gay marriage is a good guideline for somethingike this. Get supreme Court decision and hold government employees in contempt of court if they don't go with the program. From the looks of it they are going to be pretty busy fighting for the whole sanctuary city thing. Depending on how that goes the powers in charge of these states might be more amenable to obeying federal law.

I have using the feds like this, but honestly were out of options and I feel the risks justify the means. Obama screwd up when he opened up the executive order pandoras box like he did. Might as well use it.
Precision

Post by Precision »

Netpackrat wrote:
Precision wrote:the libertarian in me does not want national CCW reciprocity shoved down our throats by the FEDS. The Pragmatist in me wants to shove it down the throats of MD, NJ, CA ... the same way they shove gay marriage etc down our throats. Pun intended.
You don't want the federal government enforcing the Constitution on the states? Do you feel that way about the entire bill of rights, or just the Second Amendment?
My point was that I am for States Rights. I am anti giving any additional power to the FED monster. But at some point you must use the system (broken though it may be) as is. Ramming home the reciprocity via a new Federal law is not the (philosophically) best option. However, getting the Supremes to do it under the same doctrine as driver's licenses / gay marriage licenses is a lost cause without a different lever. That lever may well be Federal National Reciprocity act of 2017 or whatever they decide to call it.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

I would rather see it as a soft move than a hard one, it seems perverse but in the long run the NY-s and CA's of the world respond to that better than a hard move.

The law would be rather simple, any state that does not give full 50 state CCW reciprocity will will have their federal highway funds lowered by 10% such as was done for the National Minimum Drinking age law. If nothing else, if the left states do not agree, we can at least save some money.
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

Vonz90 wrote:
(snip)

The law would be rather simple, any state that does not give full 50 state CCW reciprocity will will have their federal highway funds lowered by 10% such as was done for the National Minimum Drinking age law. If nothing else, if the left states do not agree, we can at least save some money.
THAT would be a recipe for getting the reciprocity law repealed post-haste.

Here's how it would play out:

1) NJ refuses to allow reciprocity, gets highway funds reduced by 10%

2) NJ reduces actual highway SPENDING by 75%, roads turn even crappier than they already are

3) Politicians say "We're terribly sorry, but the reason the roads have potholes that families can live in is that we refuse to let criminals and terrorists carry guns in our state just because they're allowed to in their own state. We won't want another school shooting you know, it's for the children. If we could JUST get that law repealed we would be able to fix the roads."
Precision

Post by Precision »

MarkD wrote:
Vonz90 wrote:
(snip)

2) NJ reduces actual highway SPENDING by 75%, roads turn even crappier than they already are

3) Politicians say "We're terribly sorry, but the reason the roads have potholes that families can live in is that we refuse to let criminals and terrorists carry guns in our state just because they're allowed to in their own state. We won't want another school shooting you know, it's for the children. If we could JUST get that law repealed we would be able to fix the roads."
Mark,
I disagree. That would get huge play in NJ. It would be a big YAWN out here in fly over country. No Rep or Senator from Wyoming, Tennessee, Florida worth 2 cents (not a demonrat) would spend two seconds or a vote to "fix" New Jersey's pothole or "school shooting" problem.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Precision wrote:
MarkD wrote:
Vonz90 wrote:
(snip)

Mark,
I disagree. That would get huge play in NJ. It would be a big YAWN out here in fly over country. No Rep or Senator from Wyoming, Tennessee, Florida worth 2 cents (not a demonrat) would spend two seconds or a vote to "fix" New Jersey's pothole or "school shooting" problem.
This would be a feature in most of the country.
Jered

Post by Jered »

Precision wrote:
MarkD wrote:
Vonz90 wrote:
(snip)

Mark,
What's the problem here?

Sincerely,
A Montana Voter

PS. Fuck New Jersey sideways with California.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Jered wrote:
What's the problem here?

Sincerely,
A Montana Voter

You forgot Seattle.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Jered

Post by Jered »

Netpackrat wrote:
Jered wrote:
What's the problem here?

Sincerely,
A Montana Voter

You forgot Seattle.
P.P.S. FUCK SEATTLE Sideways with New Jersey's toxic waste.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Precision

Post by Precision »

The author of the bill recently clarified, the bill would force states (NJ, MD, CA ...) to honor out of state permits issued to their citizens from states like Utah and Florida.

I see that being negotiated away in committee, but still.