Dispatches from PRoC

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
FelixEstrella

Dispatches from PRoC

Post by FelixEstrella »

Seems the CA DOJ has pounded the last nail into the coffin that is "Gun ownership in California". Bills passed earlier in the year would ban "Bullet Buttons" as of 1/1/2017 and require registration of said BB guns before 2018. New regulations just published seem to imply that removal of BBs from newly registered guns would be illegal, thus creating a third class of AWs in CA.

Read it here

And Atlas Shrugged. I can't see myself living in this state much longer. As soon as both my kids are in college, I think I'll be leaving. Accepting nominations for a new home. ;-)
"Luck is where you find it—but to find it you have to look for it" -- Eugene Fluckey.
Blogspot
picsig
slowpoke

Re: Dispatches from PRoC

Post by slowpoke »

FelixEstrella wrote:Seems the CA DOJ has pounded the last nail into the coffin that is "Gun ownership in California". Bills passed earlier in the year would ban "Bullet Buttons" as of 1/1/2017 and require registration of said BB guns before 2018. New regulations just published seem to imply that removal of BBs from newly registered guns would be illegal, thus creating a third class of AWs in CA.

Read it here

And Atlas Shrugged. I can't see myself living in this state much longer. As soon as both my kids are in college, I think I'll be leaving. Accepting nominations for a new home. ;-)
I would move now if i were you. Consider that Kalifornia just legalized under age prostitution too. Get the kids out.
"Islam delenda est" Aesop
AlaskaTRX

Post by AlaskaTRX »

What's your trade? I'd say your best choices for freedom are Alaska (obviously), Wyoming, Utah, Arizona, and Montana. Or maybe those are my best choices... heh.
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

I would move now if i were you. Consider that Kalifornia just legalized under age prostitution too. Get the kids out.
Actually, no. That's not really an accurate representation of it. The goal being to de-stigmatize those underage who were engaged in it -- before the legal age of consent.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

You can probably work from anywhere, right? Here's what I did when moving from AK to the lower 48. I picked my priorities, looked for places that matched, sorted a bit, lined up job interviews and visited. Here were my priorities back then:

- Population 100k-250k (Houston had been too big; Fairbanks too small)
- had a university (culture/flavor)
- had a zoo (our kids were young and liked zoos as did we)
- interstate running through it (theorized that kept prices a bit lower)
- 2-3 hours drive to a big city (to get to things the town didn't have)
- USDA hardiness zone 5 (some winter unlike Houston, but some spring and fall unlike Fbks)

We found 3 cities, I think, that matched that. The one we picked had relatives in 3 directions within 3 hours drive.

I'd probably add something about taxes, topography and gun laws at this point in my life. I wasn't thinking as much about that then. We lucked out on topography. You might consider hunting opportunities if that appeals to you, though IIRC you travel for that, so maybe it's not a big consideration.

Flyover country is hard to beat for friendly people all around. I've been to the coasts, and I didn't like them for density or friendliness. I'd recommend west of the Mississippi for lower population density. Land is probably cheaper on this side, too, but I have the impression that people moving from CA will consider almost anywhere else cheap.

I really like the Ozarks, but there's a lot to be said for other places as well. I find Idaho attractive on paper, but I haven't been there except for driving through about 30 years ago or more.

I'd be interested to hear your selection criteria.

ETA: I think you should visit various places and meet up with forum members. I've got a spare room if you're this way.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
TheArmsman

Post by TheArmsman »

Got a room here in Tucson if you need one.
When death is inevitable, style counts.

Survival trumps programming.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

FelixEstrella wrote:Read it here
Sheesh. I couldn't fill that form out for most of my firearms. I don't know when I got them or from whom. I don't know whom I've sold stuff to or when. 'Cause I didn't gotta know. :roll:
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Greg

Post by Greg »

blackeagle603 wrote:
Actually, no. That's not really an accurate representation of it. The goal being to de-stigmatize those underage who were engaged in it -- before the legal age of consent.
The goal, yes. But looking at what incentives the law will provide should give you a better idea of what will actually happen.

Back on topic- no idea what you do for a living, what your preferences are in activities (other than shooting), weather, terrain, etc etc.

But Missouri is pretty awesome. :)
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

Weetabix wrote:You can probably work from anywhere, right? Here's what I did when moving from AK to the lower 48. I picked my priorities, looked for places that matched, sorted a bit, lined up job interviews and visited. Here were my priorities back then:

- Population 100k-250k (Houston had been too big; Fairbanks too small)
- had a university (culture/flavor)
- had a zoo (our kids were young and liked zoos as did we)
- interstate running through it (theorized that kept prices a bit lower)
- 2-3 hours drive to a big city (to get to things the town didn't have)
- USDA hardiness zone 5 (some winter unlike Houston, but some spring and fall unlike Fbks)

We found 3 cities, I think, that matched that. The one we picked had relatives in 3 directions within 3 hours drive.

I'd probably add something about taxes, topography and gun laws at this point in my life. I wasn't thinking as much about that then. We lucked out on topography. You might consider hunting opportunities if that appeals to you, though IIRC you travel for that, so maybe it's not a big consideration.

Flyover country is hard to beat for friendly people all around. I've been to the coasts, and I didn't like them for density or friendliness. I'd recommend west of the Mississippi for lower population density. Land is probably cheaper on this side, too, but I have the impression that people moving from CA will consider almost anywhere else cheap.

I really like the Ozarks, but there's a lot to be said for other places as well. I find Idaho attractive on paper, but I haven't been there except for driving through about 30 years ago or more.

I'd be interested to hear your selection criteria.

ETA: I think you should visit various places and meet up with forum members. I've got a spare room if you're this way.
Weetabix lives in the town in which I was born and raised. I left when I was 21, for three main reasons, and other secondary ones:

1. Ex GFs
2. Religion--it's the buckle on the Bible Belt
3. Ticks--I couldn't go outside without getting a tick or six on me. Ugh. If I have a phobia, it's ticks. :P
Eppur si muove--Galileo
BDK

Post by BDK »

Profession?

Desired climate?

Hobbies aside from shooting?

San Antonio has some of the highest competition in shooting that I know of