Dispatches from PRoC

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
FelixEstrella

Re: Dispatches from PRoC

Post by FelixEstrella »

HTRN wrote:Felix, have you looked at the link i posted? It suggests some surprising places for software engineers for dollars earned vs living expenses, notably Raleigh NC(#3 on their list), St Louis MO, and surprisingly "Sixburgh".
I did! Thank you!
"Luck is where you find it—but to find it you have to look for it" -- Eugene Fluckey.
Blogspot
picsig
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

A good friend of mine is a software developer who was pretty happy in Anchorage until the day that his wife informed him that she was moving to Pittsburgh whether he liked it or not. Now he lives in Pittsburgh and hates his life.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
FelixEstrella

Post by FelixEstrella »

Netpackrat wrote:A good friend of mine is a software developer who was pretty happy in Anchorage until the day that his wife informed him that she was moving to Pittsburgh whether he liked it or not. Now he lives in Pittsburgh and hates his life.
Yeah. A previous employer was a multi-national/multi-state organization and I've spent much time in RTP and Pittsburgh. Not sure I'd really be escaping CA by moving to either of those two places. ;-)
Last edited by FelixEstrella on Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Luck is where you find it—but to find it you have to look for it" -- Eugene Fluckey.
Blogspot
picsig
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Something about Raleigh gives me the willies. Hard to say what. It all looks brand new, and it feels a bit crowded and condescending. OTOH, they have that technology triangle (or whatever they call it) there. I think visiting anywhere before committing is a really good idea. You might not have the same reaction I do.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Cobar

Post by Cobar »

Have not been back to Pittsburgh since 2002, but if the trend holds true, you'd not be escaping. Now I live in NC, near Asheville.... it feels like they are following me. I've not been to the triangle, but I can't imagine that it is much better except maybe the hippies might bathe more.
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

Weetabix wrote:
FelixEstrella wrote:* No religion should be dominant in the area. That's not that I'm opposed to religion or religious people (I don't care who you fuck or who you worship) but I don't appreciate being looked askance at because I don't talk to the same imaginary friend as you. I think that eliminates large parts of TX and UT (correct me if I'm wrong).
* Be able to find a piece of property (say 10 acres) with a 1800' house and 2000' workshop, backing up to a forest.

My short list (after consultation with the wife -- I'd like AK, but she says HELL NO) includes Eugene OR, Corvallis OR, Missoula MT, Moscow ID, Boise ID.
Darrell's buckle of the bible belt comment is probably right, but I've never experienced the "looked askance at" issue. Can't say about TX or UT.
And the tick thing? I have a tick phobia, too, but I don't seem to encounter them more than once a year, even with camping several times a year. I think it depends on the property maybe.
FelixEstrella wrote:* Northern AZ is actually appealing. I passed though Flagstaff when riding to TX once and liked it.

Funny. I hadn't considered AZ on my short list, but I when I mentioned it to the wife she says "I could live in AZ. Not near an ocean, but that's not a deal breaker". And the UNA is in Flagstaff.

Hmmm.

Any negatives I should be aware of re Flagstaff?
Two things about AZ I'd consider for me:
- I don't think I could live without grass and trees. When I've been to AZ, those seemed in short supply.
- How have the open borders to the south affected it? Crime? Ambiance? (if that's the right word)
The AZ guys could comment better on those.

Wherever you're thinking about, I'd try to visit fora week or more and just pretend to live there for a bit. Don't be too much of a tourist - that's not how you'll live when you're there. Drive to different areas of town. Go to the grocery store. Do what you think you might do on a weekly basis. Ask the locals what they like and what they don't like. Stuff like that. And visit the closely adjacent communities. I might have picked one of those in this area had I explored a bit more.
Greg wrote:But Missouri is pretty awesome. :)
Agreed. ;)
It has gotten better. You still had to get a pistol purchase permit from your Sheriff, with waiting period, when I lived there. That's all gone now. Hunting and fishing is great. People are very friendly.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

randy wrote:
Weetabix wrote: I have a tick phobia, too, but I don't seem to encounter them more than once a year, even with camping several times a year. I think it depends on the property maybe.
I grew up in SE Iowa one county north of the MO line. Lived in the country, spent summers tromping around the fields and wooded areas near the house, active camping schedule with Scouts, and time on the MO border. Had exactly one tick in almost 20 years. Dad caught it during a routine check on a scout event.

Hot match head and it backed out. Had more problems with the dog getting them (2-3 times a year) than any of us kids. But then she would follow (or at least try to) a rabbit wherever it might go.

Part of it is configuration of the property, but a lot of it is judicious use of bug spray and proper clothing and checking yourself and companions on a regular basis.

I know folks made fun of the old scout uniform of stockings up to just below the knee and shorts, but it gave a good combination of protection and ventilation on a hot summer day. Just had to watch out for "Jamboree Knees" with a red sunburn band around the knees.

Frankly, in my stomping grounds I was more concerned by Cottonmouths and Water Moccasins. Saw exactly one in that same time period, and he was running the other way.
Near Keokuk? If so, I know that area.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

skb12172 wrote:It has gotten better. You still had to get a pistol purchase permit from your Sheriff, with waiting period, when I lived there. That's all gone now. Hunting and fishing is great. People are very friendly.
Oh, yeah - we have constitutional carry now.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
randy

Post by randy »

skb12172 wrote:Near Keokuk? If so, I know that area.
Yep. Dad lived near Montrose (and is buried in the nearby cemetery along the river). Split shopping between Keokuk and Ft Madison. When we spotted the Delta Queen or other paddle wheeler headed down river we'd make a run down to the Keokuk locks to watch the show as they went through.

Spent a lot of time at Camp Eastman on the Illinois side between Nauvoo and the Keokuk bridge.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".