Ohio CCW reform signed

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
randy

Ohio CCW reform signed

Post by randy »

Gov. Kasich signs SB 199 into law

From theBuckeye Firearms Association
The law allows for concealed carry in some places it is already legal to open carry guns. It removes several victim zones - places that are easy for bad people to kill many innocents - such as day-care facilities, private aircraft, and public areas of airport terminals - and it makes improvements to school safety zones by allowing CHL-holders to leave their firearms in their vehicles on school grounds, just as they've been allowed to do on college campuses for many years. The new law also also grants political subdivisions, colleges and universities the authority, if they choose, to allow people to legally possess concealed firearms.

And of course the bill still contains its original language, which allows active duty military members to carry concealed weapons without licenses provided they have military ID and proof that they successfully completed firearms training that meets or exceeds Ohio concealed carry law training requirements
They don't mention one aspect I'm particularly happy with:
to prohibit a business entity from having a policy that prohibits a concealed handgun licensee from transporting or storing a firearm in the person's motor vehicle
(SB199, PDF download)

I work in a posted government building, but the parking area is not posted. This keeps someone from getting any bright ideas, and would have been nice at previous employers that were posted at the parking lot entrance.

I understand the property rights argument of a person posting property including his parking lot. But that interferes with my right to self defense while commuting, and my vehicle is my private property. I think allowing storage in my vehicle is a reasonable compromise between potentially conflicting property rights.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Termite

Re: Ohio CCW reform signed

Post by Termite »

randy wrote: I think allowing storage in my vehicle is a reasonable compromise between potentially conflicting property rights.
It is indeed, and Louisiana has just such a law. Businesses can prohibit CCW inside the premises, but not in vehicles in the parking lots.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
Cybrludite

Post by Cybrludite »

Termite wrote:
randy wrote: I think allowing storage in my vehicle is a reasonable compromise between potentially conflicting property rights.
It is indeed, and Louisiana has just such a law. Businesses can prohibit CCW inside the premises, but not in vehicles in the parking lots.
yep. In Louisiana, your car is considered an extension of your home.
"If it ain't the Devil's Music, you ain't doin' it right." - Chris Thomas King

"When liberal democracies collapse, someone comes along who promises to make the trains run on time if we load the right people into them." - Tam K.
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

That's a grand and amazing thing that I really miss.
evan price

Post by evan price »

I hate dealing with the statehouse. But it's the only way we get things done. Our next goal is removing must notify.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
TheArmsman

Post by TheArmsman »

evan price wrote:I hate dealing with the statehouse. But it's the only way we get things done. Our next goal is removing must notify.
Wasn't it in Ohio where a video surfaced where a trooper was caught on tape that he was going to shoot a CCW holder, when the holder kept trying to inform the officer?
When death is inevitable, style counts.

Survival trumps programming.
randy

Post by randy »

TheArmsman wrote:
evan price wrote:I hate dealing with the statehouse. But it's the only way we get things done. Our next goal is removing must notify.
Wasn't it in Ohio where a video surfaced where a trooper was caught on tape that he was going to shoot a CCW holder, when the holder kept trying to inform the officer?
Wasn't a trooper. Was a local yokel, from Canton IIRC.

ETA: Yep, found it

And he was fired over it (and a pattern of similar behavior)
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Union got him his job back.

Then he was allowed to resign with a neutral job recommendation, a cash settlement, and probably the taxpayers on the hook for PTSD treatment.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop