California targets dairy cows to combat global warming

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
Termite

California targets dairy cows to combat global warming

Post by Termite »

(AP) — California is taking its fight against global warming to the farm. The nation's leading agricultural state is now targeting greenhouse gases produced by dairy cows and other livestock.

Despite strong opposition from farmers, Gov. Jerry Brown signed legislation in September that for the first time regulates heat-trapping gases from livestock operations and landfills.

Cattle and other farm animals are major sources of methane, a greenhouse gas many times more potent than carbon dioxide as a heat-trapping gas. Methane is released when they belch, pass gas and make manure.

"If we can reduce emissions of methane, we can really help to slow global warming," said Ryan McCarthy, a science advisor for the California Air Resources Board, which is drawing up rules to implement the new law........
The world is being destroyed by humans!! Unleash Captain Trips!!
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
Catbird

Re: California targets dairy cows to combat global warming

Post by Catbird »

"If at first you don't succeed, that's one data point." XKCD
Precision

Post by Precision »

When they become a business and thus taxation desert... will anyone be surprised.

I know there are good people in CA, but F those political wingnuts and their feeeewwwings.

Why not just put a collector over the methane and use it to power a steam turbine to make electricity. Organic methane generated electricity should be a hippies wet dream.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
dfwmtx

Post by dfwmtx »

I think hippies are against more electricity generation, except for solar. They love them some solar, probably because there's no emissions.
"Arms are honor; slaves have neither."

"I am Chaos, I am alive...and I tell you that you are free!" -Eris Discordia
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

I'm surprised they're not against solar because manufacturing them involves mining, plastics and placing the cells in a way to deny all of the sunlight to whatever is underneath them.

And of course, wind is bad because dead birdies and infrasound effects on people living nearby.

That's why I'm happy with coal and nuclear power. It angers the right people.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
Jered

Post by Jered »

...and this is why I support CALEXIT
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

And this is why I expect the production of California cheese, especially cheddar, to decline sharply. :mrgreen:
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy
dfwmtx

Post by dfwmtx »

73701711.jpg
You know what else contributes to global warming, C(Y)A politicians? A bunch of artists dying in a warehouse fire.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Arms are honor; slaves have neither."

"I am Chaos, I am alive...and I tell you that you are free!" -Eris Discordia
Termite

Post by Termite »

You are a terrible insensitive homophobic racist misogynist WASP male........... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
Johnnyreb

Post by Johnnyreb »

The really sad thing is that this means somewhere high in the California state govt. is someone who thinks he is so powerful he can tell a cow how much she is allowed to fart.