Law of unintended consequences (Open primaries)

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
g-man

Law of unintended consequences (Open primaries)

Post by g-man »

My wife mentioned this morning that she had seen some discussion by a friend of a friend in AK who is a rabid Bernie supporter, and had voted in the Republican open primary... for Trump.

How'd that work out for ya, Chief?

Just the thought of the self-loathing (redundancy alert) from all the jackassical twerps like this guy who crossed over and voted for Trump in the open primaries since "He's more beatable than Cruz/Rubio/Etc"... it fills my heart with a smidgen of glee.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Netpackrat

Re: Law of unintended consequences (Open primaries)

Post by Netpackrat »

In AK the Republicans have a closed primary.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
g-man

Post by g-man »

Wife's friend is from AK. I didn't ask where he or his friend are now... apparently not AK. Still, he realized he effed up, hard, wherever he is.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
dfwmtx

Post by dfwmtx »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember there was some talk of conservatives/Republicans voting in Democratic primaries before the '08 election who voted for Barack Obama because they wanted Hillary to lose. How'd that work for us? We could've had this date back in '08, Nobama, no ACA, and within 3 months of assuming office John McCain would've keeled over from a heart attack due to the stress of the job, and Sarah Palin would've been the 45th president and first female president of the United States.
"Arms are honor; slaves have neither."

"I am Chaos, I am alive...and I tell you that you are free!" -Eris Discordia
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

Colorado had closed primaries, there was a big stink when the Cruz crowd took over the process. I do believe open primaries won in the election just past; with the recent Dem majority, we'll no doubt see such shenanigans here now.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

dfwmtx wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember there was some talk of conservatives/Republicans voting in Democratic primaries before the '08 election who voted for Barack Obama because they wanted Hillary to lose. How'd that work for us? We could've had this date back in '08, Nobama, no ACA, and within 3 months of assuming office John McCain would've keeled over from a heart attack due to the stress of the job, and Sarah Palin would've been the 45th president and first female president of the United States.
Rush Limbaugh did "Operation Chaos" in 2008 urging primary Republican voters to cross over and vote for Hillary after Obama had won a series of primaries.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

In Alaska only the Republicans have a closed primary, and to be honest it probably causes as much trouble as it prevents, but that's mostly specific to Alaska where the biggest chunk of voters aren't affiliated with any party. The closed primary was probably the biggest factor responsible for the 2010 debacle where the relatively small group of "R" primary voters nominated Joe Miller for the US senate, and then in the general everybody else said "WTF Over" and re-elected Murkowski as a write-in (the democrat came in third that year).
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

dfwmtx wrote:Nobama, no ACA, and within 3 months of assuming office John McCain would've keeled over from a heart attack due to the stress of the job, and Sarah Palin would've been the 45th president and first female president of the United States.
I think H would still have won. We'd have Hillarycare which would have been the same or worse.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
dfwmtx

Post by dfwmtx »

Weetabix wrote:
dfwmtx wrote:Nobama, no ACA, and within 3 months of assuming office John McCain would've keeled over from a heart attack due to the stress of the job, and Sarah Palin would've been the 45th president and first female president of the United States.
I think H would still have won. We'd have Hillarycare which would have been the same or worse.
If Hillary had been nominated in '08, we'd lack two leverage points used now to defeat her: Benghazi and all the recent investigations into her e-mail.
"Arms are honor; slaves have neither."

"I am Chaos, I am alive...and I tell you that you are free!" -Eris Discordia
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

Plus the Republicans had McCain, fresh off the '07 amnesty debacle. Hillary would have beaten him at least as badly as Obama did.
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!