Once again, Trump shows he's an @$$

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
PawPaw

Re: Once again, Trump shows he's an @$$

Post by PawPaw »

I'll go down on election day and do my patriotic chore. Mainly to support my down-ticket candidates, but I have no illusions. I expect to be thoroughly disappointed for the 3rd presidential election in a row.

With any luck, Trump will be like chemotherapy for the Stupid Party. Two horribly flawed candidates, clawing tooth-and-nail at one another, and this is what passes for presidential politics? Earlier in the process, I called it a clown show, but nowadays that's just insulting to clowns.

If rumors of Hillary's health are anything close to the truth, we might wind up with President Kaine before 2020,
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

PawPaw wrote:I'll go down on election day and do my patriotic chore. Mainly to support my down-ticket candidates, but I have no illusions. I expect to be thoroughly disappointed for the 3rd presidential election in a row.

With any luck, Trump will be like chemotherapy for the Stupid Party. Two horribly flawed candidates, clawing tooth-and-nail at one another, and this is what passes for presidential politics? Earlier in the process, I called it a clown show, but nowadays that's just insulting to clowns.

If rumors of Hillary's health are anything close to the truth, we might wind up with President Kaine before 2020,
Except the Stupid Party will double-down on stupid, put in something like Superdelegates to make sure no one who's not approved by the party ever wins the nomination again, and they'll select Jeb Bush or someone similar next time. They may do that even if Trump wins, and refuse to nominate the incumbent.

I've said this before, Trump didn't happen in a vacuum, just like Obama didn't in 2008, he appealed to people who were dissatisfied with politics as usual (recall that Hillary was SUPPOSED to be the nominee in 2008). Trump won because (a) he's seen as being outside the political establishment and (b) because the Republicans had TOO many candidates who stayed in WAY too long, long after it was obvious they couldn't win. (Kasich, Rubio and Christie call your offices).

Had the Evil Party not gotten their super-delegates in place, Sanders would've been the nominee (and he'd probably have won in a landslide).
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

MarkD wrote:
I've said this before, Trump didn't happen in a vacuum, just like Obama didn't in 2008, he appealed to people who were dissatisfied with politics as usual (recall that Hillary was SUPPOSED to be the nominee in 2008). Trump won because (a) he's seen as being outside the political establishment and (b) because the Republicans had TOO many candidates who stayed in WAY too long, long after it was obvious they couldn't win. (Kasich, Rubio and Christie call your offices).
Some truth to what you say, but I think the actual answers are a bit more complicated. The rules that Trump took advantage of were actually put in place to help establishment candidates (winner take all primaries, open primaries, difficult for delegates to protest/switch, etc.) It is very much a law of unintended consequences type of thing. The counter to that was that of the last two standing (Trump / Cruz); Trump was very much the establishment guy of the two, so one could say the rules worked as designed if not as intended.

I actually think a properly done super-delegate rule (say sitting GOP governors, Senators and Congressmen) would be net/net helpful. Especially as the majority of them would be from Congress/Governors and they as a group are more conservative than a lot of the power players who are calling the shots these days. If nothing else, that would have probably led to a floor fight this year, which I think would have been a good thing. There is something to be said for having a group who both understands electoral politics and is accountable to the voters of their state/district have a say in things.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Best part of the second debate. Memetic Ken Bone. :lol:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

I am firmly in the "Never Trump" camp. Still, I like differing views and I thought this one puts together a reasonable case for Trump even if I remain unconvinced.
http://www.nationalreview.com/article/ ... en-ying-ma

In the end, I get stuck on the basic fact that I have no expectations that he would come through on anything he promised for those points where I happen to agree with him and I fully expect him to do more damage to our side than to their side.
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

Screw it. I'm writing in Satan. I'm sick of voting for the lesser of two evils.
randy

Post by randy »

Can't remember where I first heard it, maybe somewhere on this forum, but, putting on my tin foil hat, if Donald Trump was a Democratic plant with a mission to destroy the Republican party and ensure a Clinton victory, just what exactly would he have done different than what has happened?

Not believing for an instant that's true (never attribute to conspiracy that which can be adequately explained by stupidity), but it is an interesting thought experiment.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
kapikui

Post by kapikui »

randy wrote:Can't remember where I first heard it, maybe somewhere on this forum, but, putting on my tin foil hat, if Donald Trump was a Democratic plant with a mission to destroy the Republican party and ensure a Clinton victory, just what exactly would he have done different than what has happened?

Not believing for an instant that's true (never attribute to conspiracy that which can be adequately explained by stupidity), but it is an interesting thought experiment.

How can Trump (or anyone really) possibly be that stupid though? It makes conspiracy sound a little more credible. Though to be fair, this election is starting to remind me of the South Park episode where the boys are stuck playing baseball and competing to lose because neither team wants to continue in the finals and ruin their summers.
scipioafricanus

Post by scipioafricanus »

Hillary is so bad that she will get Eric Holder to redistrict you: http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/201 ... dency.html
As Democrats aim to capitalize on this year’s Republican turmoil and start building back their own decimated bench, former Attorney General Eric Holder will chair a new umbrella group focused on redistricting reform—with the aim of taking on the gerrymandering that’s left the party behind in statehouses and made winning a House majority far more difficult.
Yet Trump is worse?
If there is a Stairway to Heaven, is there an Escalator to Hell?
If God wanted men to play soccer, he wouldn’t have given us arms. - Mike Ditka
Jericho941

Post by Jericho941 »

kapikui wrote:
randy wrote:Can't remember where I first heard it, maybe somewhere on this forum, but, putting on my tin foil hat, if Donald Trump was a Democratic plant with a mission to destroy the Republican party and ensure a Clinton victory, just what exactly would he have done different than what has happened?

How can Trump (or anyone really) possibly be that stupid though? It makes conspiracy sound a little more credible. Though to be fair, this election is starting to remind me of the South Park episode where the boys are stuck playing baseball and competing to lose because neither team wants to continue in the finals and ruin their summers.
I stopped by the local gun store downtown today to buy a lower. Couple of old guys on either side of the counter were talking politics. Started off with talk of moving to Montana to escape the liberals, then got into how the Zika virus is fake and it's all vaccines' fault.

As a nation, we are enjoying the fruits of a bumper crop of stupid.