Ginsburg crosses WAY over the Ethics Line.

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
Termite

Ginsburg crosses WAY over the Ethics Line.

Post by Termite »

Presidential candidates invariably seek and often get endorsements from admired figures in American life. But Hillary Clinton apparently didn't have to ask to get one of the most noteworthy signals of approval any politician could ask for — a criticism of her likely Republican opponent from a sitting justice of the U.S. Supreme Court.

In an interview with The New York Times, Ruth Bader Ginsburg said, "I can't imagine what this place would be — I can't imagine what this country would be — with Donald Trump as our president." She recalled something her late husband used to say: "Maybe it's time for us to move to New Zealand."

The issue here isn't Trump's fitness for the presidency — we're beyond dubious — nor is it Ginsburg's freedom to think whatever she wishes of him.
But to say her public comments are unusual is like saying dancing cows are scarce. Supreme Court justices don't — at least until now — take public stands on presidential or other elections. One reason is that they are barred from doing so by the federal code of judicial conduct( Canon 5 of the Code of Conduct for United States Judges), which states that as a general rule, judges shall not "publicly endorse or publicly oppose another candidate for public office." They also aren't allowed to make speeches on behalf of political organizations or give money to candidates........
Chicago Tribune
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
scipioafricanus

Re: Ginsburg crosses WAY over the Ethics Line.

Post by scipioafricanus »

Good endorsement for Trump.
If there is a Stairway to Heaven, is there an Escalator to Hell?
If God wanted men to play soccer, he wouldn’t have given us arms. - Mike Ditka
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

She doubled-down yesterday afternoon.
"He is a faker," she said of the presumptive Republican presidential nominee, going point by point, as if presenting a legal brief. "He has no consistency about him. He says whatever comes into his head at the moment. He really has an ego. ... How has he gotten away with not turning over his tax returns? The press seems to be very gentle with him on that."
I'm sure that the Chief Justice is very pleased with her right now. Are Associate Justices subject to Bar Association discipline?
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

PawPaw wrote:She doubled-down yesterday afternoon.
"He is a faker," she said of the presumptive Republican presidential nominee, going point by point, as if presenting a legal brief. "He has no consistency about him. He says whatever comes into his head at the moment. He really has an ego. ... How has he gotten away with not turning over his tax returns? The press seems to be very gentle with him on that."
I'm sure that the Chief Justice is very pleased with her right now. Are Associate Justices subject to Bar Association discipline?
I think in fairness, she should list all of Hillary's characteristics and past actions that make her unfit to be president. [/holding my breath]
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

OK, but you don't look good in that shade of blue!
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
randy

Post by randy »

"Maybe it's time for us to move to New Zealand."
Works for me. Don't let the door hit you in the ass. I find it hard to believe that even someone appointed by the Hildbeast would be any worse, other than the fact they would have more years to screw us up.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

First Shirt wrote:OK, but you don't look good in that shade of blue!
I was using the / to terminate the [holding breath] code. ;)
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Rod

Post by Rod »

When most of the liberal media is telling you to shut up, you shouldn't double down on your remarks. If Trump gets elected, she'd now have to recuse herself from just about every case that comes down. I thought she was senile the day she was selected.
one can be a Democrat, or one can choose to be an American.
Good acting requires an imagination; reality requires a person not getting lost in their imagination.
"It's better to have a gun if you need it". Felix's opthamologist
scipioafricanus

Post by scipioafricanus »

Same person that spoke about how abortion is great for "eliminating undesirables."
If there is a Stairway to Heaven, is there an Escalator to Hell?
If God wanted men to play soccer, he wouldn’t have given us arms. - Mike Ditka
slowpoke

Post by slowpoke »

Rod wrote:When most of the liberal media is telling you to shut up, you shouldn't double down on your remarks. If Trump gets elected, she'd now have to recuse herself from just about every case that comes down. I thought she was senile the day she was selected.
She is a liberal supreme court justice. She doesnt have to do anything except toe the party line. Who realy thinks they would impeach her for conflict of interest? She is more likely to die in office than recuse herself.
"Islam delenda est" Aesop