As many as 10 officers shot in Dallas during "protests"

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
toad

Re: As many as 10 officers shot in Dallas during "protests"

Post by toad »

Hmmmm, I wonder if the Texas AG is going to seek extradition for anybody who has aided the shooter. ...." Hi there Loretta. You are going on a trip to Texas."
For some of the Texas "Capital Crimes" the judge and jury have the choice of death or life imprisonment. The life imprisonment means just that, life and no parole.
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

Jericho941 wrote:Under the circumstances, using the tried-and-true "MARCbot, duct tape and claymore" trick isn't terribly disturbing or surprising. Extraordinary violence receives extraordinary response.

More reasonable, IMO, than letting him get away and then setting up an ambush around his mailbox.
Somewhere in some fusion center some bright spark is thinking, "We don't need no stinking raid stack."
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

Darrell wrote:I've seen various reports that the bad guy was using an SKS or AR. Any certainty on what he used?
Now they say he used a Saiga AK74 conversion. Pic of the dead guy and his rifle at the link:

https://www.conservativeoutfitters.com/ ... ne-graphic

Arfcom's having a field day with it, critiquing his choice of Magpul, Tapco and NCStar/Primary Arms stuff on his rifle. Some say he was using the infamous 7N6 ammo, due to the way it threw sparks in the video of him shooting the cop in the back.

Also, I want to go back to the police use of a bomb-toting robot to end the guy. Evidently it's the first time this has been done in civilian life in the US. I gather it's been used in the sandbox to effect. Don't you think this is something of a dangerous precedent? The police can just robot up and kill your ass.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
JustinR

Post by JustinR »

Dangerous precedent? F no. This guy was shooting at any cop he saw, and he wasn't going to surrender. They tried to negotiate with him. It doesn't matter if it was a point blank rifle shot to the head, or a robot with a frag or C4, this was going to be the end result either way. The question was simply how many more cops he was going to kill in the process. I have zero problems with this action, in this case.
"The armory was even better. Above the door was a sign: You dream, we build." -Mark Owen, No Easy Day

"My assault weapon won't be 'illegal,' it will be 'undocumented.'" -KL
BDK

Post by BDK »

Thought I posted this earlier.

TMK, this was the first "extra-judicial killing," on US soil. It was not incident to an attempt to arrest nor a hostage rescue.

Fragmentation grenades have been around for more than a century. TMK, police have not been in the habit of using them to deal with hostile individuals.

Did they try delivering tear gas/other normal means of an emplaced violent man?

I understand the reasoning, but I think the LEOs committed manslaughter, unless they can show some imminent threat to third parties.

This is why we've had things like "police stand-offs," etc. And, I suspect we would have, had police not been killed.
BDK

Post by BDK »

Essentially it is this. Did the people of Texas through the execution of their laws, sentence that man to death, or was he killed by a group of angry friends of the deceased, without a legal obligation or defense to do so?
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

Found via comments at Say Uncle:

https://dpdbeat.com/2016/07/08/investig ... -officers/
Investigative Update Regarding the Deadly Attack on Police Officers

Updated July 9, 2016:

When all attempts to negotiate with the suspect, Micah Johnson, failed under the exchange of gunfire, the Department utilized the mechanical tactical robot, as a last resort, to deliver an explosion device to save the lives of officers and citizens.

The robot used was the Remotec, Model F-5, claw and arm extension with an explosive device of C4 plus “Det” cord.

Approximate weight of total charge was one pound.
That's quite a bit of C4, isn't it? And as some wag at arfcom put it, they're now calling the 'bot C4PO. :lol:
Eppur si muove--Galileo
Greg

Post by Greg »

Darrell wrote:
Darrell wrote:I've seen various reports that the bad guy was using an SKS or AR. Any certainty on what he used?
Now they say he used a Saiga AK74 conversion. Pic of the dead guy and his rifle at the link:

https://www.conservativeoutfitters.com/ ... ne-graphic

Arfcom's having a field day with it, critiquing his choice of Magpul, Tapco and NCStar/Primary Arms stuff on his rifle. Some say he was using the infamous 7N6 ammo, due to the way it threw sparks in the video of him shooting the cop in the back.

Also, I want to go back to the police use of a bomb-toting robot to end the guy. Evidently it's the first time this has been done in civilian life in the US. I gather it's been used in the sandbox to effect. Don't you think this is something of a dangerous precedent? The police can just robot up and kill your ass.
Police dropping bombs on people is really nothing new.

In 1985 in Philadelphia they used a helicopter to drop bombs on a building some crazy violent people were holed up in. ISTR it killed about a dozen people and burned down a good part of a city block.

I believe police have a duty to attempt to take suspects into custody and let the legal system sort it out. But that duty is not a suicide pact, and the police have a duty to bystanders as well.

So, when someone makes it abundantly clear that they *will not* be taken alive, and that they will violently resist being taken into custody thereby putting innocent lives at risk.... Fuck Em. Kill them dead. Make an end, do it cleanly and certainly and keep the innocent safe.

Threatening violence doesn't give you a heckler's veto from the law.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Darrell wrote: And as some wag at arfcom put it, they're now calling the 'bot C4PO. :lol:
Someone there came up with a better name. "Killy Mcbombface" :lol:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
toad

Post by toad »

Actually considering the body was in one piece, they probably didn't use a lot of explosive. I'm wondering how the command detonated it, an encrypted signal or did the robot drag a hard line behind it?
I'm reminded of the old SNL skits about the Land Shark, "Knock, Knock." , "Who's there?" , " Candy Gram." , Victim opens door and is devoured by the Land Shark.
Next the flying shot gun. :twisted: