F.B.I. Director Says ‘Viral Video Effect’ Blunts Police Work

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
PawPaw

Re: F.B.I. Director Says ‘Viral Video Effect’ Blunts Police Work

Post by PawPaw »

BobbyK wrote:Storage. Storage at that kind of massive scale is pretty fucking expensive.

That said, if *I* were architecting a solution for this, it'd be spec'd for 24 hours of storage on the camera, cryptographic signing of the video so we can validate that it hasn't been fucked with, and automatic sync to a hardened storage device integrated to the patrol car, which in turn would sync to centralized storage at the station/depot/whatever.
Syncing storage to the patrol car isn't really a problem. We figured that out years ago with storage in the trunk. Most patrol cars already have lots of storage on a unit in the trunk that can save several days or weeks of video.

What are you going to do about all those cops who don't have cars? Like me, for example. I'm basically a beat cop. Haven't had a patrol car in 12 years. My beat might include anywhere on a 20-acre campus, in multiple buildings and large outdoor spaces, like a football stadium. Everyone tends to think of police having cars, but only about half of cops are in government cars on any duty day. Yet, we're all subject to being in an incident at any time. There were weeks in my past assignment when I was involved in more incidents, and wrote more reports in a week than a standard patrol officer.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
BobbyK

Post by BobbyK »

Probably with a plugin unit for handling the upload that can be kept wherever your "office" is, or integrated with the charging station to handle it after end of shift.

I smell a product coming along.
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

BobbyK wrote:Probably with a plugin unit for handling the upload that can be kept wherever your "office" is, or integrated with the charging station to handle it after end of shift.

I smell a product coming along.
Keep the price under $300.00, and you'll sell a metric butt-ton of them.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
JustinR

Post by JustinR »

I view this as a "cost of doing business" upgrade. The technology isn't the problem here, it's EASILY technologically feasible. If people want policing beyond reproach in their communities, they will approve the department budget being increased. The other issue I'm surprised no one has brought up is one of lawsuits against the department. How much money could be saved in city lawyer fees by having several law suits a year (in a large department) avoided by showing the planiffs the body cam footage and proving they have no chance of a successful suit or settlement in court? Hell, that probably offsets a large part of the cost of the system right there.
"The armory was even better. Above the door was a sign: You dream, we build." -Mark Owen, No Easy Day

"My assault weapon won't be 'illegal,' it will be 'undocumented.'" -KL
Mike OTDP

Post by Mike OTDP »

JustinR wrote:The other issue I'm surprised no one has brought up is one of lawsuits against the department. How much money could be saved in city lawyer fees by having several law suits a year (in a large department) avoided by showing the planiffs the body cam footage and proving they have no chance of a successful suit or settlement in court? Hell, that probably offsets a large part of the cost of the system right there.
Concur. Not to mention the utility of video evidence in prosecutions.
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

JustinR wrote:I view this as a "cost of doing business" upgrade. The technology isn't the problem here, it's EASILY technologically feasible. If people want policing beyond reproach in their communities, they will approve the department budget being increased. The other issue I'm surprised no one has brought up is one of lawsuits against the department. How much money could be saved in city lawyer fees by having several law suits a year (in a large department) avoided by showing the plantiffs the body cam footage and proving they have no chance of a successful suit or settlement in court? Hell, that probably offsets a large part of the cost of the system right there.
Interesting question. But, do the people want "policing beyond reproach"? Or, do plaintiff lawyers want the police to remain targets of very profitable lawsuits? With impeccable policing, I can see a legion of lawyers suddenly thrown out of work. Not a bad deal for the body politic, but a bad deal for the attorneys.

Impeccable police work is a noble goal and one that I have always aspired to. Not everyone shares my vision, though. Especially plaintiff and defense attorneys.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

I expect we'll achieve impeccable police work at about the same time as we make the profession obsolete.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

PawPaw wrote: Interesting question. But, do the people want "policing beyond reproach"? Or, do plaintiff lawyers want the police to remain targets of very profitable lawsuits? With impeccable policing, I can see a legion of lawyers suddenly thrown out of work. Not a bad deal for the body politic, but a bad deal for the attorneys.
Impeccable police work is a noble goal and one that I have always aspired to. Not everyone shares my vision, though. Especially plaintiff and defense attorneys.
I don't expect "policing beyond reproach". I'd be delighted with honesty and basic common sense, both of which seem to be in very short supply everywhere. I once had a cop threaten to write me a ticket for violating the seat belt law, because both front seat passengers were not wearing seat belts. (I was, but the other "passenger" wasn't, because there was no good way to put a seat belt on a 70 lb. black Lab.) When I asked if she had to be in a car seat because she was under 4 years of age, he looked puzzled, and said "I'm not sure."

Unfortunately, he let me off with a warning, when I made the dog get in the back seat. It was unfortunate, because I REALLY wanted to see him explain that one to the judge!
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

Pawpaw:
While I have little doubt you do your best to be honorable in how you go about your job, I've seen enough examples of cops who aren't so encumbered. Here in the Eastern Megalopolis (as Jeff Cooper called it) the attitude seems to be "I'll arrest you, then figure out why." I had a buddy hassled at a bag search in the subway because he had a two inch Swiss Army knife, he had to provide a reason why he had it (he used it at work for cutting open boxes), and had to give the cop his business card to prove he worked in a place where opening boxes was part of the job description.

As I've noted before, Mark's First Rule of Social Interaction states that in any population, the percentage of assholes is non-zero. Give an asshole a badge, a gun (especially in a jurisdiction where the number of non-cops who are licensed to carry a gun wouldn't fill a subway car), and a modicum of authority and you've got a problem. Added to which DAs (at least in this area) don't like to go after cops except in the most egregious cases (because cops provide the evidence that makes convictions, and pissed off cops tend to not take care of evidence).

So sell off a couple of those military style armored vehicles to collectors (or scrap dealers) and use the proceeds to buy cameras and memory.

As far as the storage requirements, there are ways around that. The video doesn't need to be HD quality, or even in color. The quality that comes from security cameras, with audio, would work just fine.
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

MarkD wrote:Pawpaw:
While I have little doubt you do your best to be honorable in how you go about your job, I've seen enough examples of cops who aren't so encumbered. Here in the Eastern Megalopolis (as Jeff Cooper called it) the attitude seems to be "I'll arrest you, then figure out why." I had a buddy hassled at a bag search in the subway because he had a two inch Swiss Army knife, he had to provide a reason why he had it (he used it at work for cutting open boxes), and had to give the cop his business card to prove he worked in a place where opening boxes was part of the job description.
Yet another reason to not live in the "Eastern Megalopolis".
So sell off a couple of those military style armored vehicles to collectors (or scrap dealers) and use the proceeds to buy cameras and memory.
I don't own any armored vehicles. I don't believe my agency does, either.
As far as the storage requirements, there are ways around that. The video doesn't need to be HD quality, or even in color. The quality that comes from security cameras, with audio, would work just fine.
That's certainly true, which brings us back to your buddy in the Megalopolis. I'm surprised that the subway didn't have cameras that would have caught the exchange you reference. If what you say is true, there should have been plenty of video evidence to help your buddy recover his property. In these latitudes, we wouldn't dream of confiscating a pocket knife. They're common, everyday apparel. For that matter, we don't ask about guns in cars,either. We simply assume that everyone has a gun (or two) in the car. That's not an issue either.

Why might someone think that just because a friend had a bad experience once-upon-a-time at a faraway place, that somehow it reflects on how I do my job?
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House