Society is doomed

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
Cybrludite

Re: Society is doomed

Post by Cybrludite »

Old Grafton wrote:Oh, there is, but it's in the Amazon riverine area complete with hostile Indians, or in northeastern Russia, complete with hostile Indians. :D
Pretty sure Brazil or Russia would respond with troops if we tried to set up our own nation in either of their hinterlands.
"If it ain't the Devil's Music, you ain't doin' it right." - Chris Thomas King

"When liberal democracies collapse, someone comes along who promises to make the trains run on time if we load the right people into them." - Tam K.
martini

Post by martini »

Cybrludite wrote:
Old Grafton wrote:Oh, there is, but it's in the Amazon riverine area complete with hostile Indians, or in northeastern Russia, complete with hostile Indians. :D
Pretty sure Brazil or Russia would respond with troops if we tried to set up our own nation in either of their hinterlands.
Didn't I just read that Putin has a homesteading plan for siberia? IIRC it's live there for five years and you get your acreage and can become a citizen.
Justice Sotomayor, States may have grown accustomed to violating the rights of American citizens, but that does not bootstrap those violations into something that is constitutional. — Alan Gura
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

martini wrote:
Cybrludite wrote:
Didn't I just read that Putin has a homesteading plan for siberia? IIRC it's live there for five years and you get your acreage and can become a citizen.
Russia has done that in the past (the Volga Germans and others) - it did not go well in the end. I would not take the bet that it would work out this time.
randy

Post by randy »

martini wrote:Didn't I just read that Putin has a homesteading plan for siberia? IIRC it's live there for five years and you get your acreage and can become a[strike]citizen[/strike] Kulak until they decide to make you a Serf.
FIFY. On the bright side, at least you wouldn't have to endure a long train ride to the gulags
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Cybrludite

Post by Cybrludite »

randy wrote:
martini wrote:Didn't I just read that Putin has a homesteading plan for siberia? IIRC it's live there for five years and you get your acreage and can become a[strike]citizen[/strike] Kulak until they decide to make you a Serf.
FIFY. On the bright side, at least you wouldn't have to endure a long train ride to the gulags
I read about this. Only two and a half acres, and it's in Siberia.
"If it ain't the Devil's Music, you ain't doin' it right." - Chris Thomas King

"When liberal democracies collapse, someone comes along who promises to make the trains run on time if we load the right people into them." - Tam K.
George guy

Post by George guy »

Land in Siberia could be a good investment if any actual global warming happens in the near future.
'Regulate' used to mean the opposite of 'constipate.'