From the world of socialized medicine...

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
Aesop

Re: From the world of socialized medicine...

Post by Aesop »

First Shirt wrote:Been through this mess with a granddaughter. She's going to be nine, and she's about average size for a five-year-old. Since her dad is 5'7" and her mom is 5-foot-nothing, nobody is surprised, except the pediatrician who wanted to send her for every test in the book for "arrested development." Especially since there are TWO insurance plans to send the bills to. (Daughter's plan from work, and her hubby's Tricare, since he's 100% disabled, and medically retired from the Navy).

Daughter keeps says, "Given who her parents are, and that she's above-average intelligent, and has the reflexes of a mongoose, I'm thinking that she's just gonna be short. Never figured on having a WNBA star in the family anyway. So let's just don't bother." She's been reported to CPS twice, once by the (former) pediatrician, and once by the school. So far, they still have custody, and nobody's in jail. (Although I did come close.)

So it's not always the patient's (or patient's parent's fault).
Agreed.
I note purely for informational purposes that in such a case, it's hard to practice medicine when the bones in one's hands have been pounded into pea-gravel-sized bits by sledgehammers, and one's head helpfully and forcibly inserted into their own rectal cavity (with continuing attachment to the cervical vertebrae at that point entirely an optional matter) and stapled into place with roofing nails.

I further observe that life is far funnier when certain people have trailer hitch replica claymore mines, dry cell batteries, modeling clay, and random electronic parts epoxied to the hood of their cars, faced towards the driver's seat, with wires leading under the vehicle. Just make a list, pay cash for components, spread the purchases over time and space, and observe the 50 Mile Rule. Oh, and nitrile painting gloves are your friend.
Remember, nothing grows fear and guilt in true @$$holes like such a pediatrician like actually being guilty, and the local bomb squad probably needs the practice anyways.

For school busybodies, a much better percentage bet is to simply stack half a dozen kilo-sized cellophane bricks of powdered sugar and baking soda, or shredded oregano and eucalyptus leaves, in the back seat of their car, and make a call from a pay phone.
Bonus points if it's during school hours, and you put a few pro-marijuana/pro-drug/anti-police bumper stickers on the car before the call.
Some people have to learn the hard way how fun it isn't to be busybodies, or to jerk people's chain under color of authority.

8-)
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Advise duly noted, and with thanks. I've managed to stay out of jail (mostly) for 60+ years, and I'd hate to break my streak at this late date.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
BDK

Post by BDK »

An acquaintance is afraid of taking her child to a doc for similar reasons - he's fine on height, very high on intelligence but well under on weight - breast fed kid from two slightly built parents who has never had junk food.

He's lean but not skinny - and looked like most kids I remember from my childhood
TheArmsman

Post by TheArmsman »

Amazing how bad things have gotten, when one is afraid to go see a doctor. :evil:
When death is inevitable, style counts.

Survival trumps programming.
Cobar

Post by Cobar »

So underweight is a huge concern until suddenly from the teens up everyone is supposed to look like a marathon runner or they are obese. :?
Jered

Post by Jered »

Cobar wrote:So underweight is a huge concern until suddenly from the teens up everyone is [strike]supposed to look like a marathon runner or they are[/strike] obese. :?
That seems more like it.

:roll:
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

First Shirt wrote:Been through this mess with a granddaughter. She's going to be nine, and she's about average size for a five-year-old. Since her dad is 5'7" and her mom is 5-foot-nothing, nobody is surprised, except the pediatrician who wanted to send her for every test in the book for "arrested development." Especially since there are TWO insurance plans to send the bills to. (Daughter's plan from work, and her hubby's Tricare, since he's 100% disabled, and medically retired from the Navy).

Daughter keeps says, "Given who her parents are, and that she's above-average intelligent, and has the reflexes of a mongoose, I'm thinking that she's just gonna be short. Never figured on having a WNBA star in the family anyway. So let's just don't bother." She's been reported to CPS twice, once by the (former) pediatrician, and once by the school. So far, they still have custody, and nobody's in jail. (Although I did come close.)

So it's not always the patient's (or patient's parent's fault).
Move to another state.
Jered

Post by Jered »

The official audit of 9,000 dying patients, conducted by the Royal College of Physicians, reveals that one-in-five families were not informed that a “do not resuscitate” order had been put in place - equivalent to the families of 40,000 patients.
It literally kills people.
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

Ah, yes, sounds like the Liverpool Pathway.

Wait 'till it goes from "do not resuscitate" to "four good South Ken boys with iron bars."
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
Jered

Post by Jered »

MiddleAgedKen wrote:Ah, yes, sounds like the Liverpool Pathway.

Wait 'till it goes from "do not resuscitate" to "four good South Ken boys with iron bars."
Supposedly they've abandoned that. They have to find a new way to get rid of patients. :roll: