Woman Shot by Bounty Hunters...

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
Jered

Woman Shot by Bounty Hunters...

Post by Jered »

They may exercise their rights in person or by agent. They may pursue him into another state; may arrest him on the Sabbath, and, if necessary, may break and enter his house for that purpose. The seizure is not made by virtue of new process. None is needed. It is likened to the rearrest by the sheriff of an escaping prisoner.
On this episode of play stupid games, win stupid prizes:

Veale was at the home of Kathryn New, 60, about 8 a.m. Wednesday when three bail enforcement agents, sometimes referred to as bounty hunters, came to take her son Aaron New back to jail in connection with a court order prohibiting contact she had taken out last November after a violent family confrontation.
The three agents are said to be cooperating with investigators and are not under arrest. Aaron New was booked into the Pierce County Jail for violating the no-contact order. He is also wanted on a $50,000 warrant for driving under the influence.

...and the idiot reporter doesn't know state law.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Greg

Re: Woman Shot by Bounty Hunters...

Post by Greg »

Whose home was it?

In any case, this is a mess.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

"Woman shot by bounty hunters..."

Okay.
So, how much do they get for them, apiece? :D
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

OK, I'm confused...

The wanted individual, also the son of the deceased, was being sought for violating a protective order. Said order was filed by his mother, who was killed while attempting to stop the bounty hunters from taking her son into custody after he violated the order she filed?

Now, the house was apparently the (deceased) mother's. Does state law give bail enforcement agents the right to enter the residence of someone they are seeking, if said individual does not own the residence?
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

Langenator wrote:OK, I'm confused...

The wanted individual, also the son of the deceased, was being sought for violating a protective order. Said order was filed by his mother, who was killed while attempting to stop the bounty hunters from taking her son into custody after he violated the order she filed?

Now, the house was apparently the (deceased) mother's. Does state law give bail enforcement agents the right to enter the residence of someone they are seeking, if said individual does not own the residence?
It is confusing, isn't it. State law varies regarding bail enforcement. I'd have to double-check the applicable law, even in my home state because it's been 15 years since I worked as a private investigator. But, at the time, I could arrest for bail enforcement, and could go nearly everywhere to enforce a bail warrant as long as I was "returning the arrestee to the court's control".

The big problem in domestic incidents is that "mom" or "wife" will go get a court order, then three days later will make up with the bad guy, and they forget that the order is in place. Then they get all upset when someone comes by to enforce the order. It is a problem. Unfortunately in this case, "Mom" paid the price. She should have gone down to the courthouse and cancelled the order.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

In general, bail enforcement agents can go anywhere they can get to in order to apprehend a fugitive.
Being Not The State's agents, enforcing the return of said problem children means they are quite literally the long arm of the law, in this case the court, minus any requirement for specific search and arrest warrants, etc. Once you become a fugitive, the state effectively considers you fair game for anyone, anywhere, since law before King John and Magna Carta.
They are generally only limited by whatever common sense they possess, and the desire not to acquire any new firearm-produced @$$holes in their bodies. If they think their prey is somewhere, they have the authority to crash in a door if they think they're there. (This is balanced by your right, as a theoretically disinterested third party, the blow their shit away if it's your door.) Most times, the court will take no action against you or them, and the survivor wins the day. Unless you were actually harboring said fugitive in fact, in which case you're toast. Their general goal is to make darned sure the object of the exercise is there before they go full retard, and either overwhelm by dint of numbers, or back down in the face of superior numbers, or larger calibers. Dead guys don't get any bounty, after all. The fugitive's return to custody, and payment for same, is the point of the entire exercise.
While I wouldn't try to get somebody inside the White House or the secure spaces in the Pentagon, there really isn't anyplace else they can't go to retrieve the state's missing lambs, because fugitive from Justice.

It's why, for one example, if some billionaire had any balls, they'd hire some thugs to throw a net over Roman Polanski's child molesting ass in Europe some dark night, put him on a Learjet, and drop the bundle on the L.A. District Attorney's steps next morning.
The return on investment would pay for the venture, and the caterwauling from both offended liberals in Tinseltown, and the Frogs &c. who've harbored him the past couple of decades, would be priceless.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
Termite

Post by Termite »

Aesop wrote:It's why, for one example, if some billionaire had any balls, they'd hire some thugs to throw a net over Roman Polanski's child molesting ass in Europe some dark night, put him on a Learjet, and drop the bundle on the L.A. District Attorney's steps next morning.
The return on investment would pay for the venture, and the caterwauling from both offended liberals in Tinseltown, and the Frogs &c. who've harbored him the past couple of decades, would be priceless.
A possible problem with that is if the gendarmes catch those thugs in the act, the thugs get charged with kidnapping or attempted kidnapping.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
TheArmsman

Post by TheArmsman »

When I was doing this work, would notify and wait for LEO' to be onsite, before kicking a door in.
When death is inevitable, style counts.

Survival trumps programming.
kapikui

Post by kapikui »

Termite wrote:
Aesop wrote:It's why, for one example, if some billionaire had any balls, they'd hire some thugs to throw a net over Roman Polanski's child molesting ass in Europe some dark night, put him on a Learjet, and drop the bundle on the L.A. District Attorney's steps next morning.
A possible problem with that is if the gendarmes catch those thugs in the act, the thugs get charged with kidnapping or attempted kidnapping.
In order to minimize that, they could parachute out, grab him and skyhook back in.
randy

Post by randy »

kapikui wrote:In order to minimize that, they could parachute out, grab him and skyhook back in.
Lear Jet SWAT team
on a midnight run
with the M16
And the Ingram gun

We parachute in
We parachute out
Death from above
We're screaming now
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".