2016 Obama administration orders / BATF guidance on firearms

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
g-man

Re: 2016 Obama administration orders / BATF guidance on fire

Post by g-man »

Aesop wrote:
g-man wrote:
skb12172 wrote:"We don't want this responsibility and we're ill equipped to take it on,"
Ya think? And while the vast majority of Army docs I've worked with (in my professional capacity as a former WTU commander, not in my personal capacity as an anger management patient... ;) ) are highly competent individuals, there were those who I would not trust to regulate their own wardrobe, much less my access to firearms.
By actual experience, 10% of those in psychiatry and psychology are wise, compassionate healers trying to save and repair those with troubled minds.
The rest are simply in the field to self-diagnose.
These were exactly the people I meant. Must have been some weird confluence of these particular docs being in "leave me the hell aloneville, Southern AZ" that has my particular data point skewed in the other direction. But in either case, I'd be loath to let the field as a whole be in charge of who gets guns, especially if the odds look more like yours.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
BDK

Post by BDK »

Pretty sure doc's are already going to have an ethical duty to report patients they believe to be a threat to themselves or others.

Then, the legal system cannakeva determination - which gets due process etc involved.
Durham68

Post by Durham68 »

JAG2955 wrote:
Rod wrote:One thing in the ATF guidelines is the mention that people have been convicted of being a firearms dealer for selling two guns. No matter what the other circumstances were, this leaves the idiots an opening to say, "If you want to sell any gun, you have to get an FFL." Of course it'll go to court and be overturned (maybe) but it's another hassle. Back door to gun registration. If Obama wants a civil war, this is dangerously close to a reason for starting one.
I'm thinking about calling the ATF and asking if I can get an FFL "just in case" I want to sell a gun or two.

Then buy five or six for myself.
I would have mine already if it wasn't for local zoning issues. I don't suppose the ATF is going to lighten up on those requirements though.
"Unattended children will be given an espresso and a puppy"
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Durham68 wrote:I would have mine already if it wasn't for local zoning issues. I don't suppose the ATF is going to lighten up on those requirements though.
Yeah, this. If they are going to expect people to get an FFL, then they need to remove the roadblocks to doing so.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
randy

Post by randy »

Netpackrat wrote:
Durham68 wrote:I would have mine already if it wasn't for local zoning issues. I don't suppose the ATF is going to lighten up on those requirements though.
Yeah, this. If they are going to expect people to get an FFL, then they need to remove the roadblocks to doing so.
unless they're trying to set up a Catch-22 situation. Wouldn't real smart, but since when has smart been a desired result of ATF regulation?
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
JKosprey

Post by JKosprey »

Been thinking about an FFL. Might even be able to talk my employer into paying for it.
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

Aesop wrote:
g-man wrote:
skb12172 wrote:"We don't want this responsibility and we're ill equipped to take it on,"
Ya think? And while the vast majority of Army docs I've worked with (in my professional capacity as a former WTU commander, not in my personal capacity as an anger management patient... ;) ) are highly competent individuals, there were those who I would not trust to regulate their own wardrobe, much less my access to firearms.
By actual experience, 10% of those in psychiatry and psychology are wise, compassionate healers trying to save and repair those with troubled minds.
I dated one for 3 years. Brother, you are spot on.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
slowpoke

Post by slowpoke »

Aesop wrote:
g-man wrote:
10% is insanely optimistic.
"Islam delenda est" Aesop
Termite

Post by Termite »

The $64,000 question......what IS the "magic" number of gun sales that makes someone a "dealer"?
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
toad

Post by toad »

Best Comment that I've seen, "Will I need an FFL to sell firearms to Mexican drug cartels?"