Man Forces Burglars to Phone Police (Audio)

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
Catbird

Man Forces Burglars to Phone Police (Audio)

Post by Catbird »

I heard this on the radio this afternoon. (911 audio at the >>>LINK<<<)
"Myself and another person, we broke into this house … the man has us at gunpoint. We'd just like an officer to come up here."

It was a lesson for everybody. The burglars learned not to break into a home — the owner might have a gun. And the homeowner? Keep your cellphone charged.

Bill Lahti, of Cowlitz County, periodically checks his mother's vacant home, located in rural Woodland, Wash.

On a recent visit, Lahti drove by to find the door open. He peeked inside to see two burglars in the home. Armed with a gun, the Lahti confronted the burglars. And with the burglars under control, kneeling on the ground, he reached for his phone to call 911 — but his phone wouldn't work. At gunpoint, Lahti had one of the burglars call the police for him, on their own cellphone, to report their own crime.

Dispatch: "911 what's the address of your emergency?"

Burglar at gunpoint: "Myself and another person, we broke into this house … the man has us at gunpoint. We'd just like an officer to come up here."

Dispatch: "He has you at gun point right now?"

Burglar at gunpoint: "Yes, and we would just like an officer up here to uh … just kind of talk to this gentlemen and clear up the dispute here."

Dispatch: "So is he confronting you right now with a gun?"

Burglar at gunpoint: "Yes ma'am."
"If at first you don't succeed, that's one data point." XKCD
Denis

Re: Man Forces Burglars to Phone Police (Audio)

Post by Denis »

Priceless!
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Audio would not play for me. :(
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Denis

Post by Denis »

Netpackrat wrote:Audio would not play for me. :(
Thy this link:

http://kiroradio.com/listen/9995950/
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Firefox still didn't like that, but I was able to play it in a different browser. :?:
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

911: "Can you tell what kind of gun it is?"

Goblin: "No"

911: "You can't see the gun?"

Goblin: "I'm looking down it."
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
Termite

Post by Termite »

PawPaw wrote:911: "Can you tell what kind of gun it is?"

Goblin: "No"

911: "You can't see the gun?"

Goblin: "I'm looking down it."
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
Denis

Post by Denis »

At first, I thought the 911 dispatcher was being rather dense. Then I realised she was being confronted with a completely unexpected scenario... so she gets a pass.

I was surprised that she had to get the goblin to spell the street address. Aren't calls to 911 auomatically located as coming from a particular cell antenna?
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

Denis wrote:I was surprised that she had to get the goblin to spell the street address. Aren't calls to 911 auomatically located as coming from a particular cell antenna?
Yah, but that doesn't necessarily translate into a street address. If you're not calling from a landline, the 911 operator may not have a clue where you're calling from.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
Erik

Post by Erik »

Denis wrote:I was surprised that she had to get the goblin to spell the street address. Aren't calls to 911 auomatically located as coming from a particular cell antenna?
Depends on the phone and the mobile system. If the phone doesnt provide gps location it will depend on where the phone is. In Scandinavia in some places a phone can be located to within a few meters, in some other places it will only show what tower it is connected to, and that means it could be up to 70km from the tower in any direction. That area could of course be limited by analyzing signal strength and other things, but that would take some work by techs.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."
John Wayne