While we have been (or the beloved media) has been talking..

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
Baja boy

While we have been (or the beloved media) has been talking..

Post by Baja boy »

A new "giant sucking sound" will emerge.

The Trans-Pacific Partnership: Permanently Locking In The Obama Agenda For 40% Of The Global Economy

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-10-0 ... al-economy

Sadly, just like with every other “free trade” agreement that the U.S. has entered into since World War II, the exact opposite is what will actually happen. Our trade deficit will get even larger, and we will see even more jobs and even more businesses go overseas.

But the mainstream media will never tell you this. Instead, they are just falling all over themselves as they heap praise on this new trade pact. Just check out a couple of the headlines that we saw on Monday…

Time Magazine: “Pacific Trade Deal Is Good for the U.S. and Obama’s Legacy”
The Washington Post: “The Trans-Pacific Partnership is a trade deal worth celebrating”

Just consider what has happened since NAFTA was implemented. In the year before NAFTA was approved, the United States actually had a trade surplus with Mexico and our trade deficit with Canada was only 29.6 billion dollars. But now things are very different. In one recent year, the U.S. had a combined trade deficit with Mexico and Canada of 177 billion dollars.

And these trade deficits are not just numbers. They represent real jobs that are being lost. It has been estimated that the U.S. economy loses approximately 9,000 jobs for every 1 billion dollars of goods that are imported from overseas, and one professor has estimated that cutting our trade deficit in half would create 5 million more jobs in the United States.
B. Hussein Obama - an Empty Suit for Empty Minds.
Annoy a liberal - Work hard and be happy!
Liberals: all about choice UNTIL you choose differently than them.
Arguing facts & truth to libs is like bringing a warm smile to a gun fight.
Jered

Re: While we have been (or the beloved media) has been talki

Post by Jered »

And NAFTA gave us all of Canada's extra "scientific technologists," "computer systems analysts," and "management consultants."

:roll:
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

Haven't you figured it out yet? This ol' Republic is DONE! The best you can do is find a good way to ride it down.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

At this point, I'm trying to make sure the grandkids have a soft place to land.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Baja boy

Post by Baja boy »

First Shirt wrote:At this point, I'm trying to make sure the grandkids have a soft place to land.

Ditto !! "Bama boys think alike !!
B. Hussein Obama - an Empty Suit for Empty Minds.
Annoy a liberal - Work hard and be happy!
Liberals: all about choice UNTIL you choose differently than them.
Arguing facts & truth to libs is like bringing a warm smile to a gun fight.
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Had a co-worker once who said that when the SHTF, he was coming to my house. I asked him "What are you bringing?"

He looked at me like I was speaking Klingon, and said "What do you mean?"

I said "Dude, if you aren't bringing food, ammunition, or a usable skill set, you'd best stay right where you are, and wait for FEMA."

For some reason, he didn't think that was funny. Guess he didn't realize that I wasn't joking.

(I've got room for my mom, my sister, my kids/stepkids/grandkids. Anybody else is on their own.)
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Baja boy wrote:A new "giant sucking sound" will emerge.

The Trans-Pacific Partnership: Permanently Locking In The Obama Agenda For 40% Of The Global Economy

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-10-0 ... al-economy

Sadly, just like with every other “free trade” agreement that the U.S. has entered into since World War II, the exact opposite is what will actually happen. Our trade deficit will get even larger, and we will see even more jobs and even more businesses go overseas.

But the mainstream media will never tell you this. Instead, they are just falling all over themselves as they heap praise on this new trade pact. Just check out a couple of the headlines that we saw on Monday…

Time Magazine: “Pacific Trade Deal Is Good for the U.S. and Obama’s Legacy”
The Washington Post: “The Trans-Pacific Partnership is a trade deal worth celebrating”

Just consider what has happened since NAFTA was implemented. In the year before NAFTA was approved, the United States actually had a trade surplus with Mexico and our trade deficit with Canada was only 29.6 billion dollars. But now things are very different. In one recent year, the U.S. had a combined trade deficit with Mexico and Canada of 177 billion dollars.

And these trade deficits are not just numbers. They represent real jobs that are being lost. It has been estimated that the U.S. economy loses approximately 9,000 jobs for every 1 billion dollars of goods that are imported from overseas, and one professor has estimated that cutting our trade deficit in half would create 5 million more jobs in the United States.
I'm undecided on the Pacific treaty because I don't know the details, but you are quite wrong on NAFTA. It has been a boon for us and US manufacturing in particular (and agriculture). You can more or less ignore the import/export statistics. They are fiction and they are that way on purpose (for tax reasons among others).

The jobs that were going to Mexico were going somewhere. In Mexico, most of the high value add work stays here. If they go further afield that is probably not the case (for instance, about 90% of the output of the plant I am at right now this second gets shipped to Mexico, absolutely none of it gets counted as export though because of the way this stuff is accounted).
Greg

Post by Greg »

First Shirt wrote:At this point, I'm trying to make sure the grandkids have a soft place to land.
It didn't seem polite to include that when people asked me 'why Missouri?'.....
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Yogimus

Post by Yogimus »

Well, when republicans stop voting against building an atom collider because 'God Particle' offends their sensibilities, and causes this nation's scientific output to head over to Switzerland, they can bitch about trade agreements.
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Well, considering that this is the first time I've heard about it, I can't imagine that it's that serious. Not like the Chinese dumping a couple million tons of cut-rate steel at bankrupt prices, or something similar.
Lindy Cooper Wisdom