Huckabee Beclowns Himself Again

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
skb12172

Huckabee Beclowns Himself Again

Post by skb12172 »

This time it isn't over Josh Duggar, it's over Kim Davis
The lowlights...
“God showed up in the form of an elected official: Kim Davis,” Huckabee said. “Today I was proud to stand with Kim Davis as she was released from jail. Kim Davis should have never been locked up for being a Christian and for following her conscience and the law.“
Then this...
“I think we should give her an option to do another job where her religious concerns are not going to be put into the cross hairs on this. So we have to have respect for people, but the government also has to function,” Christie said, adding that fellow 2016 Republican candidates shouldn’t “play politics” with the case.
You can't just move her, asshole. She isn't a regular state drone. She was elected to that position. A fact you just stated in your previous quote. If you are going to be a carpetbagger, at least know what the fuck you are talking about. Also, you don't want your competition playing politics over this, but it's ok if you do? I swear, at this point I'd vote for Shrillary over this knob. Cruz looked like an asshoke too, but at least he didn't also make a fool of himself.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
Dub_James

Re: Huckabee Beclowns Himself Again

Post by Dub_James »

This whole episode is reflecting horribly on "Conservatives". They've shown themselves just as quick to abandon the Law they claim to value, when it suits them to do so.
Oh, the heads that turn
Make my back burn
And those heads that turn
Make my back, make my back burn

-She Sells Sanctuary
The Cult
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Huckabee can beclown himself getting out of bed in the morning. It's a natural talent, I don't think a college education would improve it.

There's only a dozen people who take him seriously, and most of them are (like my mother) elderly, very devout Baptist ladies.

Everybody else treats him like the joke he is.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

First Shirt wrote:Huckabee can beclown himself getting out of bed in the morning. It's a natural talent, I don't think a college education would improve it.

There's only a dozen people who take him seriously, and most of them are (like my mother) elderly, very devout Baptist ladies.

Everybody else treats him like the joke he is.
Yes, this.
Durham68

Post by Durham68 »

First Shirt wrote: There's only a dozen people who take him seriously, and most of them are (like my mother) elderly, very devout Baptist ladies.
My mother too. She came away from the first debate most impressed with Huckabee and Carson.
"Unattended children will be given an espresso and a puppy"
JustinR

Post by JustinR »

Dub_James wrote:This whole episode is reflecting horribly on "Conservatives". They've shown themselves just as quick to abandon the Law they claim to value, when it suits them to do so.
I have to disagree. As Mark Levin has pointed out, and even written a book about, just because the Supreme Court says its legal, doesn't mean it's Constitutional or that they are right. The fact a Federal judge was willing to throw an elected official in jail because she wouldn't violate her religious beliefs is a horrible precedent. Just like the bakery that was put out of business, it's now open season to legally force people to do things against their religion, except for Muslim women wearing burqas at TSA checkpoints of course. Next, it will be the non-profit status of churches that will be legally challenged because they won't host or perform a gay wedding.

The guarantee of the freedom of religion is now gone. They could have gone to a different bakery that would have done business with them, or gone to a different county clerk, or even put a recall referendum for the county clerk on the ballot. Instead, it's now illegal to NOT do things these individuals find personally immoral. Her refusal will be the first of many acts of civil disobedience I'm willing to bet.

As an aside, it's laughably ironic that the left screams "but the LAW!" in this case, but ignores it every place else.
"The armory was even better. Above the door was a sign: You dream, we build." -Mark Owen, No Easy Day

"My assault weapon won't be 'illegal,' it will be 'undocumented.'" -KL
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

JustinR wrote:
Dub_James wrote:This whole episode is reflecting horribly on "Conservatives". They've shown themselves just as quick to abandon the Law they claim to value, when it suits them to do so.
I have to disagree. As Mark Levin has pointed out, and even written a book about, just because the Supreme Court says its legal, doesn't mean it's Constitutional or that they are right. The fact a Federal judge was willing to throw an elected official in jail because she wouldn't violate her religious beliefs is a horrible precedent. Just like the bakery that was put out of business, it's now open season to legally force people to do things against their religion, except for Muslim women wearing burqas at TSA checkpoints of course. Next, it will be the non-profit status of churches that will be legally challenged because they won't host or perform a gay wedding.

The guarantee of the freedom of religion is now gone. They could have gone to a different bakery that would have done business with them, or gone to a different county clerk, or even put a recall referendum for the county clerk on the ballot. Instead, it's now illegal to NOT do things these individuals find personally immoral. Her refusal will be the first of many acts of civil disobedience I'm willing to bet.

As an aside, it's laughably ironic that the left screams "but the LAW!" in this case, but ignores it every place else.
^^^ That.
One wonders when federal judges will start throwing mayors in federal prisons for not enforcing the actual federal laws regarding immigration and co-operation with federal immigration agencies.

That even the drones at Fox News haven't tumbled to that and set the Left on fire for it is a gaping flaw in the whole manufactured outrage game.

No one took Huckster seriously to begin with. Re-examine your local environment if his poll numbers are anywhere north of single digits.
Which is why he used this as adroitly as an elephant concert pianist to try and bootstrap himself some publicity and actual media notice.

Christie tripping over his own tongue to get this wrong was just a bonus, but cements his status as Not Ready For Big Time.

(And for the record, I'm going with 80% likelihood this federal judge turns out to be a stylish dresser with a boyfriend stashed in an apartment somewhere.)
He's already got lifetime tenure, so the only other explanation than sheer Federal Judge Hubris ("Because we CAN!") for interfering in a state matter here is that he thinks he has a shot at getting an appointment to the local Circus Court, and he's buffing his resume.

Bonus points would have been the state getting their back up, and directing the state police to arrest the judge and the local US Marshals and holding them in contempt as well, IN JAIL, and refusing to let them out until Davis was freed unconditionally, and everyone went back to their corners and starting minding their own sides of the street.

But as they have a Democrat gov., KY just got their states' rights voluntarily bufu'ed again, and it didn't event require Grant or Sherman with armies to do it; just one tenured pencil pushing black-robed jackass.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

You would be wrong. However, Judge Bunning graduated in the middle of his class at an average law school. He was appointed and confirmed as a Federal Judge at age 34 because his daddy was a Senator and Major League Baseball Hall of Famer. That said, his actions were right and legal. The fact that other judges aren't enforcing other laws would fall under the category of two wrongs not making a right. She is an elected public official who is not doing her job. The fact that these couples could go to another county is irrelevant. They shouldn't have to. She does not have a Constitutional right to her position or to choose which part of her duties she wants to perform.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

This one's a can of worms, but I think I'm with Justin in that she shouldn't have gone to jail "until she changes her mind."

And, she should have delegated that to her subordinates to handle rather than going all hissy. She IS elected to do the job according to the law.

*sigh*
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

skb12172 wrote:That said, his actions were right and legal.
So in your opinion, the best recourse when a county official fails to perform the duties they were elected to is to immediately send the feds to throw them in prison without any other due process?
There is no recall process in Kentucky? Or even in Bumfuck County?
No district attorney in that county?
No district or state court(s) available?
No other means of redress, let alone 500 levels of it, before we get to federal judges inserting themselves in the situation, in a way that makes them judge, jury, and executioner??

Really?!?

Interesting perspective.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"