Another Day, Another Dead Dog At The Wrong House

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
Jered

Re: Another Day, Another Dead Dog At The Wrong House

Post by Jered »

Catbird wrote:You're assuming that the cop who was shot didn't shoot himself. All that's known for sure right now is that there are an injured cop, an injured homeowner, and a dead dog, with 1-3 cops doing all the shooting.
That means that either the injured cop was shot by either another cop or himself.

In either case he's approaching insha'allah schools of marksmanship training.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

Unless the cops were in Polish ambush formation when the homeowner startled them by opening the kitchen door.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
Jered

Post by Jered »

Langenator wrote:Unless the cops were in Polish ambush formation when the homeowner startled them by opening the kitchen door.
Which sounds like even more herpaderp.
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

UPDATE: Family settles for $60K
It’s been almost two years since DeKalb County police officers showed up at the wrong address, burst into a family’s home and opened fire, shooting Chris McKinley in the leg and killing his dog.

Now the county is paying $60,000 to the East Atlanta family to avert a lawsuit. The DeKalb Commission unanimously approved the settlement earlier this month.

Confused police fired seven shots after they were startled by the family dog when they burst through the back door of the home on Aug. 31, 2015, according to a police internal affairs report. Their gunfire left three victims: McKinley, a 9-year-old boxer named Yanna, and one of the officers, who was caught in the crossfire and shot in the leg.

“There is positively no justification for the officers entering the home and shooting Mr. McKinley and the family dog,” according to a demand letter sent by the family’s attorney, Mark Bullman, to the county last year and obtained by The Atlanta Journal-Constitution under the Georgia Open Records Act. “Nevertheless, Mr. McKinley received what could easily have been a fatal gunshot wound, and Yanna was killed, by the actions of the reckless officers.”

The incident remains under investigation by DeKalb District Attorney Sherry Boston’s office, a spokeswoman said.
The $60,000 payment compensates the McKinleys for expenses including $35,000 in medical costs, nearly $8,000 in home repairs and more than $9,000 in lost income. The county settled the claim outside of court, avoiding a potential lawsuit.
"If at first you don't succeed, that's one data point." XKCD
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Wow, the city got off cheap...
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

Not enough. Invade my home, shoot me, kill my dog. That starts at about the $5M mark and only goes up from there, depending on other circumstances.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
scipioafricanus

Post by scipioafricanus »

skb12172 wrote:Not enough. Invade my home, shoot me, kill my dog. That starts at about the $5M mark and only goes up from there, depending on other circumstances.
Bingo
If there is a Stairway to Heaven, is there an Escalator to Hell?
If God wanted men to play soccer, he wouldn’t have given us arms. - Mike Ditka
McClarkus

Post by McClarkus »

Was debating the Philando Castile shooting with liberal brother in law. Part of that discussion that I pointed out to him was that cops are allowed to use deadly force when they have a reasonable fear that their lives may be in danger. I pointed out a major part of that issue is that some cops have fears about things that are unreasonable. As in you should not be in this line of work if you can't be realistic and control your misplaced and excessive fears. Just because you can does not mean you should.
One secret to life. Step #1 - Find something you enjoy doing. Step #2 - Find someone foolish enough to pay you to do it.
randy

Post by randy »

Sort of along the lines of arguments that The Second in general and CCW in particular make cops jobs harder and increases their stress.

Well so do the 1st, 4th and 5th Amendments. Learn to deal with it or get a job as cop in almost any other country in the world if you don't like it.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Jered

Post by Jered »

McClarkus wrote:Was debating the Philando Castile shooting with liberal brother in law. Part of that discussion that I pointed out to him was that cops are allowed to use deadly force when they have a reasonable fear that their lives may be in danger. I pointed out a major part of that issue is that some cops have fears about things that are unreasonable. As in you should not be in this line of work if you can't be realistic and control your misplaced and excessive fears. Just because you can does not mean you should.
1) That police department failed at training its officers because it did not prepare them for the (extremely likely) possibility that those officers could encounter a lawfully armed citizen.

2) The officer fails at basic police tactics. If some guy is acting weird and tells you that he has a gun, it's perfectly acceptable to have him get out of the car, restrain him, and, if he's just being detained, tell him that he's not under arrest. Separate dude and gun. Patdown to make sure he has no other guns. Get wallet. Warn him that his brake lights are out and explain to him why it's a bad idea to carry his gun and his wallet on the same side of his body.

3) The police department didn't build this officer's capability of taking a step back and resetting.

Be like this cop!