Another Day, Another Dead Dog At The Wrong House

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
evan price

Re: Another Day, Another Dead Dog At The Wrong House

Post by evan price »

skb12172 wrote:
Catbird wrote:I guess "probable cause" is now defined as "Our dispatcher told us that sumdood said there was a crime around here somewhere"

I don't know what makes me more pissed off about this:

A) No one will be held responsible, or punishment will be spread thin enough that it won't discourage this sort of behavior.

B) If it happened to me, my dogs would be dead and/or I'd be in jail facing a murder charge, (or dead).

C) The taxpayers will foot the entire bill, regardless.
All business as usual. With all due respect to Paw Paw and please remember, I went through the Academy and had a badge for awhile, too. But, this has to be said. Is it really that surprising that people are beginning to take matters into their own hands and pop cops, here and there? Someone on this board predicted it. They said it would be like popcorn popping; a few here and there, then a whole bunch at once.
I posted in another venue that the respect and authority of police is sourced directly from their perception as being worthy of that respect and authority, that police need to be held to a higher standard of conduct than the general public, and that when the individual bad apples have sufficiently spoiled the perception of the police as community, they will no longer have anything.

The downward spiral starts with little things lke "Professional Courtesy" that evolves into "If it's not a felony I would never take down a brother, and then there's felonies, and there's felonies." (That's something directly from Policeone.com forums, where a topic was created about professional courtesy.)

It's a constant series of little things like travelling through construction zones at twenty over the limit, like flashing the overheads to get through a red light on the way to the lunch break, or forgetting to book a few dollars into evidence.

If cops didn't plant evidence guilty perps wouldn't be so quick to claim things were planted even if they aren't.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kathryn_Johnston_shooting
http://www.addictinginfo.org/2015/04/05 ... ce-videos/

If cops weren't so full of their own attitudes citizens' complaints that they acted inappropriately would not be believed:
http://www.cantonrep.com/article/201311 ... /131109669
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLQy4ZHUY90
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asnLQ8Ekwqg

The job of police is a thankless one. But the attitudes and conduct of all the tarnished badges ruin the reputation of the good officers. Is it any wonder that the less controlled part of society wants to declare war on cops?

When I was a kid, police were respected. Nobody would turn a gun on a cop. They were cops! I would also believe that in our parents' time things were probably way more informal than they are now and the opportunities for corruption without being caught were a lot greater- it was considered normal to let the beat cops have free lunches etc.

Nowadays....I don't approve and I would never agree with them, but I understand why some people want to start a war against cops.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

I think it was Jimmy Breslin who says that every stereotype has some truth behind it or the stereotype could never have gotten started.
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

I've got two little dogs that, together, don't weigh 25 lbs. They have both proven, on more than one occasion, that they are perfectly willing to tote an ass-whoopin' to protect me. Least I can do is return the favor. So if the local constabulary decides to come around and shoot at my dogs, they'd better pack a lunch, 'cause somebody is fixin' to have a really long day.

There aren't 50 people in the world that I'd trade for my dogs. None of those 50 are Alabama LEOs.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

I shed a tiny tear when good guys get gunned down, and it sucks for their families.

But this happened because we stopped demanding that cops act like cops, and trusted them to be so instead, and they have universally betrayed that trust.

If they ruthlessly eliminated the douchebags from their ranks going back a generation or more, and were the first to bring an offender's actual head on a pike with his genitals in his mouth forward when he betrayed their trust, people would shoot at people who shoot at cops.
But they don't: they cover for the douche-badges constantly, reflexively and usually beyond any rational explanation.

Eventually, we'll get to anarchy, which will cost everyone, and we'll purge about 99.9% of the cops currently serving as society burns, but I hope at some point someone will start shooting PBA lawyers in the face first, along with jackassical federal judges, who got us to this situation in the first place with unions and consent hiring decrees.

The current round of cops getting randomly whacked is the beginning of the problem, not the end.
Because it's only flailing at a symptom, and not root causes.

I'd druther have a society where people were raised to recognize - especially the police themselves - that they're merely there because the rest of us are simply too busy to round up evildoers ourselves, and not because they're some privileged demi-nobility. Comeuppance occasions in me little sympathy, and a fond wish they would proactively take that lesson to heart, and that it would spread.
But since it won't, incidents like this will simply throw more gasoline on the fire, and more cops will get shot in the head when their backs are turned.
And it'll still be their own fault.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
toad

Post by toad »

The cops and sheriff deputies and occasional State Trooper in the Dallas area that I've dealt with are for the most part pro armed civilians. They would like civilians to not help them when they are doing a take down and not in trouble but as one deputy told me, "when some goblin is stomping my ass into a mud old I really like the idea of an armed citizen getting him off of me.
Right now they aren't happy campers because of rot from the Dallas Mayors office spreading down. To much Democrat PC bull and ROE.
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

UPDATE: Still Investigating...
It’s been more than three months since Georgia cops entered a man’s home unannounced without a warrant, only to kill the dog, shoot the man and shoot a fellow officer before realizing they had entered the wrong home.

But the Georgia Bureau of Investigations said the case is still under investigation with no new developments to announce.

Meanwhile, homeowner Chris McKinley, who was shot in the leg, is living in fear along with his wife and 1-year-old child.

The Dekalb County Police Department has acknowledged that the victim homeowner did not have a weapon and did not pose a threat to officers’.

PINAC News contacted the GBI to get an update on the investigation, but they said no updates were available because the investigation is not complete.
The Georgia Bureau of Investigation released the following statement:
“The GBI will conduct an independent investigation to determine what occurred during the incident. When the investigation is complete it will be turned over to the district attorney for any action the district attorney deems appropriate,”
All three officers have been placed on administrative leave.
Hat tip to Photography is Not a Crime
"If at first you don't succeed, that's one data point." XKCD
Jered

Post by Jered »

Aesop wrote: I'd druther have a society where people were raised to recognize - especially the police themselves - that they're merely there because the rest of us are simply too busy to round up evildoers ourselves, and not because they're some privileged demi-nobility.
Didn't Robert Peel say something like that?

You know what you get when citizens don't trust the police? You get the Battle of Athens, Henry Plummer, or a committee of vigilance. The police should remember that while their body armor will probably work against a gang-banger with a 9mm HiPoint, it's less than effective against a .30 WCF rifle and damn near everyone has one of those.

In the case of Henry Plummer, I think he got himself hung.

You can chalk this up to the high speed low drag operator operating operationally mentality that a lot of police have. Who cares if the baddies flush their cocaine down the toilet? If the point of the drug war is to keep drugs off the street, then that's a perfectly valid way of accomplishing it.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
BDK

Post by BDK »

I've become pretty firmly convinced that one of the more important elections, is DA.

It's the one position which can clean this stuff up, and which can set the tone which can have this stuff start.
Termite

Post by Termite »

BDK wrote:I've become pretty firmly convinced that one of the more important elections, is DA.
It's the one position which can clean this stuff up, and which can set the tone which can have this stuff start.
^THIS^ times 10,000.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
Lokidude

Post by Lokidude »

BDK wrote:I've become pretty firmly convinced that one of the more important elections, is DA.

Everybody gets all hyped up about the big national elections, and some of the state ones. You want real change, though, get concerned about who gets elected mayor, and sheriff, and judges. Local elections are where change is truly wrought.
workinwifdakids wrote: We've thus far avoided the temptation to jack an entire forum.

But what the hell.
Standing for Truth, Justice, and the American Way!