Off-Duty Trooper Fires at Unarmed Teens, Manhunt Ensues

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
PawPaw

Re: Off-Duty Trooper Fires at Unarmed Teens, Manhunt Ensues

Post by PawPaw »

Greg wrote:
randy wrote:So both sides agree that the trio were knocking on the door, but somehow this guy suspects them of being burglars? :?
And from what I read, the trooper made no claim that they tried to force entry, only (loud?) knocking on his door.
Yeah, precursor to a burglary. Knock loudly, ring the bell. Wait a few minutes. If no one answers the door, the house is empty. Go on in. Fairly standard procedure.

The difference between a burglary and a home invasion? The guy's a sound sleeper and wakes up after the burglars are in the house.

Again, I'm not defending the troopers actions after he chased them off. But, the kids explanation makes my bullshit detector go on overload. And, papers don't always report all the news.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
randy

Post by randy »

PawPaw wrote:
Greg wrote:
randy wrote:So both sides agree that the trio were knocking on the door, but somehow this guy suspects them of being burglars? :?
And from what I read, the trooper made no claim that they tried to force entry, only (loud?) knocking on his door.
Yeah, precursor to a burglary. Knock loudly, ring the bell. Wait a few minutes. If no one answers the door, the house is empty. Go on in. Fairly standard procedure.
Thanks PawPaw
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
randy

Post by randy »

PawPaw wrote: If these three young men can't tell the difference (an hour or so after midnight) between a place that's having a party and a place that ain't having a party then they had no business knocking on any door.
From the article:
after leaving a graduation party, attempted to go to a friend’s house nearby.
From that, sounds like they had left the party, not out looking for one.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
JAG2955

Post by JAG2955 »

It all sounds super shady.

But I don't think that anything that they did warranted deadly force, no matter what state they're in.
Greg

Post by Greg »

PawPaw wrote: And, papers don't always report all the news.
National news? No.

Local news, of that magnitude, not in the local paper? No chance it wouldn't get mentioned somewhere. And until 2 weeks ago I worked with a guy who lived in that town.

I think we can fairly well rule out 'string of home invasions'. String of burglaries/petty thefts/cars broken into is still on the table, but knowing the area at least a little makes me consider them less likely.

As to whether or not the fellow had a pent-up personal beef with the neighbors, well we'll see.

Traditionally in NJ, state troopers could pretty much do whatever they wanted with impunity, so long as they weren't *too* blatant.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

Greg wrote:Traditionally in NJ, state troopers could pretty much do whatever they wanted with impunity, so long as they weren't *too* blatant.
That's pretty much the case too, here in Louisiana. It's the old "prince of the kingdom" theory, where dickheads get away with stuff that would put us in jail. Historically, guys who had their time in were allowed to retire rather than be prosecuted.

We've got one, hereabouts, who was allowed to retire rather than be arrested. The problem is that he laid low for ten years, till all the old-timers had retired. Now he's Chief Deputy of a parish Sheriff's office. All us old-timers know him to he a cheat, a thief, and a liar, yet he is officially a "retired" state trooper. It makes my blood boil.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

I know the area quite well; I grew up in the town directly to the south of Sparta. Like Greg said, it's a nice upper middle class town. One of my best friends lives less than a mile from where this took place. He's quite the man-about-town (if that can be said of a small 'burb like Sparta) and knows a lot of the police, but he's away on vacation. I'll cajole him for the skinny when he gets back.

Knowing NJ and the Staties, I would wager after they investigate themselves, no charges are filed against the Trooper, the families sue and win in civil court and the taxpayer foots the bill.
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

At least these guys are alive to collect. Very telling, isn't it, that they haven't even been charged with bullshit charges meant to complicate and intimidate.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

This is where judicious use of making a homeowner's life a living hell is appropriate, and demanded by circumstance.

A mere 2AM doorknock does not equal grounds for homicide, unless you were using a sledgehammer, with intent.

But 2AM is about the nadir of daily IQ all around.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Sparta is, as far as NJ is concerned "the boonies" - go look at it on a map. unless you go down to the pinebarrens, you're not going to ger much more rural than there.

My money is, that this probably isn't a home invasion, but a typical overreaction by NJ Staties. Until the press takes a seirous interest in him(like the Statey that caused a car acccident while driving tht then governor), he can pretty much do what he wants with little to fear.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt