ACA survives again

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
g-man

ACA survives again

Post by g-man »

Story Link

Scalia, Alito, and Thomas dissented. Kennedy switched sides. Still haven't ruled on law's overall Constitutionality, which leaves some room for hope. "You have to pass it to see what's in it" lives another day.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
skb12172

Re: ACA survives again

Post by skb12172 »

Scalia just about had a meltdown in his dissent, saying words no longer mean anything.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

M.r Justice Roberts is now officially a liberal. He's proved twice that he's willing to do the bidding of the President when it really counts. Oh, he may disagree occasionally, but when the chips are down, he's going to bow to his masters in the liberal wing of the Democratic party.

I don't recall who said it, Scalia perhaps in his dissent, but the law should now be called SCOTUScare.

I can't wait to see what Roberts does on gay marriage. The ruling today, and what I predict will be his ruling on gay marriage, will give the liberal contingent throbbing boners for several months.

I fart int he general direction of the Roberts Court.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
Dub_James

Post by Dub_James »

PawPaw wrote:M.r Justice Roberts is now officially a liberal. He's proved twice that he's willing to do the bidding of the President when it really counts. Oh, he may disagree occasionally, but when the chips are down, he's going to bow to his masters in the liberal wing of the Democratic party.

I don't recall who said it, Scalia perhaps in his dissent, but the law should now be called SCOTUScare.

I can't wait to see what Roberts does on gay marriage. The ruling today, and what I predict will be his ruling on gay marriage, will give the liberal contingent throbbing boners for several months.

I fart int he general direction of the Roberts Court.
The gay marriage ruling is IRRELEVANT compared to this one.
Oh, the heads that turn
Make my back burn
And those heads that turn
Make my back, make my back burn

-She Sells Sanctuary
The Cult
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

Dub_James wrote:The gay marriage ruling is IRRELEVANT compared to this one.
Perhaps, but the story is that Roberts swayed Kennedy to get on the winning side and give SCOTUScare a 6-3 victory. (You may as well be o the winning side!)

Frankly, I don't care what the Court does on gay marriage, except that the only place gay marriage ever wins is in the courts. When put to the electorate, it is defeated nearly every time. For example, California's voters went to the polls in 2008 to vote on Proposition 8. They came down strongly against gay marriage. The Courts overturned it.

In Louisiana, in 2004, the voters overwhelmingly (80%) voted that marriage is one man, one woman. If the SCOTS upends that right, I want to see where John Roberts comes down. Today, in his opinion on SCOTUScare, he said
In a democracy, the power to make the law rests with those chosen by the people. Our role is more confined—“to say what the law is.” Marbury v. Madison, 1 Cranch 137, 177 (1803). That is easier in some cases than in others. But in every case we must respect the role of the Legislature, and take care not to undo what it has done.
Noble words, indeed, but if the court is concerned about the legislature, it should be more concerned about The People and their participation in the law. If the clear majority of the state says that marriage is one man, one woman, then the Supremes should respect that choice.

I'm really interested to see how Roberts comes down for gay marriage. Not that it will matter much, because I already believe that he's a died-in-the-wool liberal.

I fart in the general direction of the Roberts Court, and if I ever get the opportunity, I intend to piss on his shoes.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Not to undo what the Legislature has done?! Isn't that part of ruling on whether a piece of legislation is Constitutional? What a jackass.

And what the Legislature "did" was pass something that none of them had read and that none of them can understand. What jackasses.

Also, Obama's a jackass.

Government sucks.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
BDK

Post by BDK »

Did they address being a tax bill which didn't originate in the House?
Termite

Post by Termite »

BDK wrote:Did they address being a tax bill which didn't originate in the House?
I think that's going to be a separate issue.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
g-man

Post by g-man »

Termite wrote:
BDK wrote:Did they address being a tax bill which didn't originate in the House?
I think that's going to be a separate issue.
Judicial rope-a-dope? One can only hope.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

I don't think it's the way to bet.
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!