Drive in Philadelphia? You are under criminal investigation

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
D5CAV

Drive in Philadelphia? You are under criminal investigation

Post by D5CAV »

Police State USA in the "City of Brotherly Love"

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20150 ... data.shtml
City officials argue in their response that every metro driver is under investigation
Here's the relevant citation:
records “relating to or resulting in a criminal investigation” are exempt from disclosure under the Act, in particular “nvestigative materials, notes, correspondence, videos and reports.” 65 P.S. § 67.708(b)(16)(ii). Such individual license plate readings and accompanying information are investigative materials that relate to individual criminal investigations, and, as your request indicates, these investigations may result in vehicle stops, arrests, or other police actions..

In other words, Philadelphia PD has expanded the old criminal non-statute of "Driving while African" (the crime of Walter Scott) to "Driving". If you are driving, you are under "criminal investigation".
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
evan price

Re: Drive in Philadelphia? You are under criminal investigat

Post by evan price »

Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Philly PD is showing their ass?

Color me shocked. :roll:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
g-man

Post by g-man »

The great part about the 'summary data' released by the PPD is there is absolutely ZERO context. Were 420 stolen autos recovered directly as a result of a ALPR hits? Is that in the 2 week period requested, or over the entire period the ALPR has been in use?

A quick google-fu inquiry returns an average of 24k auto thefts in Philly annually, with 60% being recovered (14.4k). If you're talking about the 2-week period, then those 420 cars represent 420/553 (#recovered by scans / average 2-week recoveries), for a percentage of nearly 76%. If (as it appears given the total number of scans) those 420 cars are for the total period scanners have been in use, that percentage drops to 420/57k, (# recovered by scans / average 4-year total recoveries), for a percentage of 0.73%. So, either these things are killer for recovering stolen vehicles, which would make one wonder why car theft hasn't plummeted. Or, they've gone big-brother to the tune of 7 million scans a year, and moved their recovery percentage up less than 1%. If it were the former, I'm pretty sure they'd be trumpeting that shit from City Hall like they were rock stars.

But. They. Aren't.

Which implies the latter scenario: The scanners are NOT useful, and PPD is likely ass-raping the Constitution (I'd say 14th amendment 'Equal Protection' vice 4th Amendment 'Search and Seizure') in their deployment of these things. "Show me you're using these things equally across the city." is a pretty reasonable request. I'd venture a guess that they're distinctly NOT equal in the deployment of these things, even AFTER normalizing for high crime areas.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Termite

Post by Termite »

Yet another reason to have your automobile registered to an LLC.......
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

Termite wrote:Yet another reason to have your automobile registered to an LLC.......
AYUP - as much as possible!!!!
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad