Another Domino's delivery driver killed in N'awlins.

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
Termite

Another Domino's delivery driver killed in N'awlins.

Post by Termite »

For the second time in 6 months, a Domino's Pizza delivery driver in New Orleans has been shot while on duty....
Daily Caller
NOLA.com
IIRC,
Domino's has a "red-line" policy for certain areas. So I wonder if he was actually delivering a pizza, or was something else going on.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
Flintlock Tom

Re: Another Domino's delivery driver killed in N'awlins.

Post by Flintlock Tom »

They should take a hint from Wells Fargo: second team member in the right-hand seat with a shotgun.
If time, chance and random process can produce a platypus why not an ammo tree?
Cybrludite

Post by Cybrludite »

::Looks at the map:: Aw, hell no! That's the sort of neighborhood you want to drive through in a Cadillac... Gage. I've been within a few blocks of the area at odd hours of the night in the '90s giving a buddy a lift home, but no way, no how would I be down there at night now. Last time I was out that way was two weeks after Katrina to check on his parent's house before they started letting folks in. (Clean polo shirt, a GPS antenna hooked into my laptop, and a sport ute that looked like I'd been working from it allowed me to pass as an insurance adjuster)
"If it ain't the Devil's Music, you ain't doin' it right." - Chris Thomas King

"When liberal democracies collapse, someone comes along who promises to make the trains run on time if we load the right people into them." - Tam K.
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Well, if you are delivering pizzas in that kind of area: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLRzKBShYjw
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

The only way that works is take the pizza there in an armored payroll van:
they walk to the curb and slip the cash in Slot A, and then you slide the pizza out of Slot B.
Any other tomfoolery leads to the shotgun muzzle out the gunport getting loud.
Problem solved.

Were I the franchisee, I'd also be GPSing the calling number for the robberies, and sending along a modern-day version of the Pinkertons to castrate and behead the fuckers responsible for call-n-robs, leaving their dangly bits in their mouths, and then firebomb their cribs, with or without official sanction.
Stop feeding the pigeons.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
dfwmtx

Post by dfwmtx »

Aesop wrote:The only way that works is take the pizza there in an armored payroll van:
they walk to the curb and slip the cash in Slot A, and then you slide the pizza out of Slot B.
Problem solved.
That would require the pizza companies to pay the delivery drivers more than the slightly above minimum wages they're already getting. And the company would have to provide delivery vehicles. Both of these things pizza companies are loath to do.
On the other hand, a shotgun pointing at you while you pay may encourage more people in the bad areas to tip.

I have a friend who drives for a pizza company, and they got shafted when another location went out of business and they had the high-crime area dumped on them. Every time he delivers to that area, he gets shafted on tips, people try to complain he was late so they can get free shit from corporate, and other stuff. He's caught one customer trying to pay with counterfeit money. Luckily he's not gotten robbed or hurt yet, though there was some motherfucker who tried to run him off the road.
"Arms are honor; slaves have neither."

"I am Chaos, I am alive...and I tell you that you are free!" -Eris Discordia
Jericho941

Post by Jericho941 »

Maybe I'll start my own pizza company.

And run it like Uncle Enzo. :P
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Aesop wrote:The only way that works is take the pizza there in an armored payroll van:
Problem solved.
No delivery driver is going to be allowed to carry a gun while on the clock. Too much liability. It's why virtually any company of a decent size bans "weapons" in the company handbook, unless you're a license and bonded security professional. The possibility of one of their employees shooting someone, and them getting them sued for millions gives them nightmares.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Yogimus

Post by Yogimus »

HTRN wrote:
Problem solved.
No delivery driver is going to be allowed to carry a gun while on the clock. Too much liability. It's why virtually any company of a decent size bans "weapons" in the company handbook, unless you're a license and bonded security professional. The possibility of one of their employees shooting someone, and them getting them sued for millions gives them nightmares.
As a company, they are 100% correct