Explain Net Neutrality

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
Aesop

Re: Explain Net Neutrality

Post by Aesop »

The neighbors complained, and most of the paint is gone from screaming at the walls, so...

OTOH, paychecks for 5-day/60-hour registry workweeks beat the hell out of the ones from 3-day/36-hour FT employment, and every hospital I've been floated to has tried to recruit me FT by about my second night.
I'm working pretty hard to keep my head from swelling over that (esp. after getting kicked in the junk by my last employer, who should ESAD), but if this is how pretty girls feel since high school, I can begin to understand their lifelong attitudes... 8-)
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Aesop wrote:but if this is how pretty girls feel since high school, I can begin to understand their lifelong attitudes... 8-)
I know, right?
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Aesop wrote:... but if this is how pretty girls feel since high school, I can begin to understand their lifelong attitudes... 8-)
Just use protection. ;)
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Greg

Post by Greg »

George guy wrote:As usual, the consequences of a sketchy .gov regulation (regional monopolies) are patched by more layers of regulation rather than repealing the original regulation.
This. What people really want is competition in the ISP market, and more choice. Local cable monopoly vs. local telecom land line monopoly sucks. And that's best case, with many aspiring even to that level of suckfulness.

Actually what people *really* want is for Comcast to die a painful lingering disfiguring death, but that's not on the menu.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
scipioafricanus

Post by scipioafricanus »

When has MORE GUMMINT worked lately?
If there is a Stairway to Heaven, is there an Escalator to Hell?
If God wanted men to play soccer, he wouldn’t have given us arms. - Mike Ditka
Kommander

Post by Kommander »

scipioafricanus wrote:When has MORE GUMMINT worked lately?
The moon landings? I honestly think that might be the last time our government did something that was both big and didn't have anything to do with a war.
randy

Post by randy »

Kommander wrote:
scipioafricanus wrote:When has MORE GUMMINT worked lately?
The moon landings? I honestly think that might be the last time our government did something that was both big and didn't have anything to do with a war.
And even that program had a large component of military R&D to support .mil near earth space operations, and a major part of the propaganda portion of the cold war. (you know, that "space race" that the Soviets declared they were never in, on July 21 1969).
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Kommander

Post by Kommander »

This is a bit of an aside, and it's not an idea I came up with on my own, but the Moon Landings actually had a major negative effect on the American psyce. The landings, combined with the Manhattan project and some of the 1930's infrastructure projects have caused many Americans to believe that any problem can be solved if we throw enough money at it. Not only is this not true, but this attitude is often exploited by rent seekers to further their own aims. We just need a few billion more to end poverty, or racism, or fix our schools or whatever. Of course the money never actually goes to any of this in any amount that makes a difference, and a few years later the rent seekers are back for more and we give it to them. We give it because the 1930's through 1960's "proved" America can do anything, if we only spend enough money.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Kommander wrote:This is a bit of an aside, and it's not an idea I came up with on my own, but the Moon Landings actually had a major negative effect on the American psyce. The landings, combined with the Manhattan project and some of the 1930's infrastructure projects have caused many Americans to believe that any problem can be solved if we throw enough money at it. Not only is this not true, but this attitude is often exploited by rent seekers to further their own aims. We just need a few billion more to end poverty, or racism, or fix our schools or whatever. Of course the money never actually goes to any of this in any amount that makes a difference, and a few years later the rent seekers are back for more and we give it to them. We give it because the 1930's through 1960's "proved" America can do anything, if we only spend enough money.
Kind of. Like success in the World Wars "proving" the "superiority" of government control of the economy.

That's badly screwed a number of countries, the UK being a fine example.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr