Police using new radar can track you inside your home

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
308Mike

Police using new radar can track you inside your home

Post by 308Mike »

Sorry, my browser is F'ED UP, so I can't post the link, but it's one from FoxNews.com:
Police are using new radar that can track you inside your home
By Mike Flacy (DIGITAL TRENDS)
Published January 21, 2015

Being used by the FBI, U.S. Marshals Service and at least 50 other law enforcement agencies around the country, the Range-R device provides a way for police officers to track people within a home using a Doppler radar system. Shaped similar to a stud finder that you would find in a hardware store, the device can track movements, such as someone taking a breath, up to a distance of about 50 feet. Ideal for a drug raid or a hostage situation, the device could potentially map out all people within a building and help the police make judgement calls on the best plan to breach.

According to the manufacturer of the Range-R, the device can penetrate wall materials that include “poured concrete, concrete block, brick, wood, stucco glass, adobe and dirt.” Interestingly, the device cannot track movements through a sheet of metal material and also has difficulty tracking people when being used against a water-soaked wall. Of course, law enforcement officials can simply attempt the scan in another location to test for a different result.

PoliceRadar.jpgExpand / Contract

Screenshot from http://www.range-r.com. (L3 Communications)

Of course, the device does not provide any form of visual image of the people within a home, nor can it determine if a suspect is armed prior to police entering a home. At best, it gives police verification that someone is inside the home, determine the activity level of that person and pinpoint an exact location.

According to USA Today, use of the radars have been kept relatively quiet by law enforcement officials until a judge recently scrutinized the decision to use the device to track down a parole violator. According to the details of the case, the judge indicated that the police should have obtained a search warrant before using the radar device and use of the device without a search warrant brings up potential Fourth Amendment issues. To date, the U.S. Marshals Service has spent about $180,000 on these types of devices over the last three years.
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
Netpackrat

Re: Police using new radar can track you inside your home

Post by Netpackrat »

Maybe aluminum siding will make a comeback.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Yogimus

Post by Yogimus »

Some reporter rediscovering old (10+ year old) tech. Much to do about nothing.
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

Netpackrat wrote:Maybe aluminum siding will make a comeback.
Along with aluminum foil on the windows (which actually are pretty good insulators (especially against sunlight).

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
BDK

Post by BDK »

So long as the courts stick to requiring a warrant for their use, safer for everyone, I think.
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

BDK wrote:So long as the courts stick to requiring a warrant for their use, safer for everyone, I think.
I agree - this is FAR different than a speed trap!! IMHO, they NEED a search warrant to perform any such kind of search on a person's property, including a thermal search!!! The government can KISS MY ASS!!

First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Does this mean that they won't be tossing flashbangs into toddlers' playpens anymore???
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

First Shirt wrote:Does this mean that they won't be tossing flashbangs into toddlers' playpens anymore???
*IF* they are using those, one could only hope!!

Jered

Post by Jered »

It's like something from a Tom Clancy novel.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Precision

Post by Precision »

So if I install a radar detector in my living room and it goes off, can I return fire?
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/