Buffalo Cops acting Badly

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
PawPaw

Buffalo Cops acting Badly

Post by PawPaw »

It seems that the cops in Buffalo are going to homes after a funeral and collecting firearms.
Buffalo, New York police are now visiting the homes of those recently departed in search of firearms as part of a new plan to help keep tabs on local guns.

The move, put into effect by Police Commissioner Daniel Derenda, is described as an effort to stop firearms, specifically handguns, from winding up back in circulation and off the books.

“We recently started a program where we’re cross referencing all the pistol permit holders with the death records, and we’re sending people out to collect the guns whenever possible so that they don’t end up in the wrong hands,” Derenda told WGRZ. “Because at times they lay out there and the family is not aware of them and they end up just out on the street.”
Who was it that said that registration doesn't lead to confiscation?

I'm outraged.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
tfbncc

Re: Buffalo Cops acting Badly

Post by tfbncc »

So, after a person dies in New York, firearms are no longer real property to be bequeathed to the next of kin? Yeah, that would make me a tad hot under the collar. And do they require a search warrant? Due process? OK, my blood pressure is going up thinking about this. Glad I live in Florida right now.
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

tfbncc wrote:So, after a person dies in New York, firearms are no longer real property to be bequeathed to the next of kin? Yeah, that would make me a tad hot under the collar. And do they require a search warrant? Due process? OK, my blood pressure is going up thinking about this. Glad I live in Florida right now.
These are people who honestly think fewer guns in circulation is a good thing, no matter who those guns may have belonged to (unless of course they belong to agents of the government).

When I lived in NYC and had a target license (handgun), when you brought your gun in for "inspection" (within 72 hours of purchase) they kept your bill-of-sale, so the only proof you had that the gun was yours was the permit they issued. When I had my second gun inspected I photocopied the receipt, so I'd have something at least. And no, they wouldn't photocopy it for me, nor would they accept a photocopy.
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

How is that not felony theft under color of law?
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
JAG2955

Post by JAG2955 »

Show up and want to do something that unconstitutional after a traumatic event...it won't end well for you.
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

MiddleAgedKen wrote:How is that not felony theft under color of law?
You don't get the attitude. When you buy a gun it's not YOURS. You possess it only at the sufferance of the government, who can take it from you anytime they want, or can charge you whatever they want for the privilege of possessing it. Just like any other property in fact, and I speak as someone who's monthly property tax bill is higher than his monthly mortgage payment.

They REALLY do believe that taking a gun away from a suburban home-owner does every bit as much good as taking one away from a gang-banger/drug dealer, plus it's safer (for now).
Greg

Post by Greg »

MarkD wrote:
You don't get the attitude. When you buy a gun it's not YOURS. You possess it only at the sufferance of the government, who can take it from you anytime they want, or can charge you whatever they want for the privilege of possessing it. Just like any other property in fact, and I speak as someone who's monthly property tax bill is higher than his monthly mortgage payment.

They REALLY do believe that taking a gun away from a suburban home-owner does every bit as much good as taking one away from a gang-banger/drug dealer, plus it's safer (for now).
More, actually. They know a dealer is going to make trouble, gun or no gun. But the law abiding hard working tax revenue generating sheep to be fleeced are very much taken for granted. (They are actually a given in the liberal authority figure's world, it is assumed that no matter what the squares must keep working and paying taxes, forever and ever, amen.) And if one of them gets a gun, gets *ideas* and starts making trouble, that's more of a loss than anything a drug dealer might do- it shakes the foundations of the liberal's entire world. No, best leave those pesky firearms in the hands of the professionals.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Termite

Post by Termite »

:x There are times when I actually think that NYFC would be improved by the application of of a 1.5MT weapon.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

tfbncc wrote:So, after a person dies in New York, firearms are no longer real property to be bequeathed to the next of kin?
They're still property, but you have to have a pistol permit to own one.
Because it's not. It's still your gun, you just can't possess it. In other words, you can have a FFL show up to claim it, and transfer it to somebody else.
Termite wrote::x There are times when I actually think that NYFC would be improved by the application of of a 1.5MT weapon.
This is actually state law, and it's been around a very long time

None of this is new. Cops going around ringing doorbells when the body is still warm wanting to know the disposition of firearms is hardly a new development. How it works, is every time a death certificate is issued, they run the name and SS# through their database to see if it matches. They then send a unit out to see the disposition of the firearm. It's why it was recommended that anybody with medical issues or somebody up in years, to have their spouse apply for a permit.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Erik

Post by Erik »

Pretty much the same thing here.

Though cops don't show up at the door, instead the estate get a letter from them informing them of the options. What happens is the estate gets one year to handle it. (That time can be expanded if there's a good reason for it.) They can either turn in the guns to the police for destruction, sell them, or a relative can apply for a license themselves.

When my grandfather died I was too young to apply for a license, so my mother applied for a "storage license", since she didn't have the necessary hunting qualifications, and no interest in getting it. So she was allowed to keep them, but not allowed to use them. When I got old enough, I took the hunters exam and had the licenses transferred to me.

Thing is, once you have permits, there has to be a way to handle these things. It's pretty pointless to have permits if you don't keep track of them.

That said, they don't need to be a**es about it. If they actually show up at the door right after the funeral to collect guns, that's just being an a**. If they are going enforce permits, the way they do it here is a decent way. Let the estate have time to handle it the way they feel is the best way.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."
John Wayne