Buffalo Cops acting Badly

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
Greg

Re: Buffalo Cops acting Badly

Post by Greg »

Termite wrote:
Greg wrote:But before you go getting happy, give me 48 hrs warning please.
I didn't mean it like it sounded, I apologize.

Things are getting kinda crazy here with EDT's wedding a week away. :roll:
Dunno, I thought it was funny. :lol: (Print doesn't capture deadpan.)
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

HTRN wrote:
308Mike wrote:In the case of the NYFC PD, I would hazard a guess that the vast majority do what they're told, regardless of their oath
The oath they took was to uphold the laws of the State of New York, and of the City of New York.

Those laws have existed since before you or I was born. Those laws state that to own a handgun, you have to have a permit to possess a handgun. Frankly, I want cops to follow the letter of the law, as far to many of them think they get to decide what it is, and then act on it, much to some poor schmoes regret.

Do I think this law should be repealed? Yes. Will it? No way in hell. No politician who wants to get reelected in this state will touch it with a 10 meter cattleprod. It's political suicide. Frankly, the only way it's ever gonna go away, is if it gets before the nine men in black, and then decide that it's "unreasonable" in light of the the 2nd amendment.
WAG - I think they (the surpremes) will eventually end up splitting the baby to a degree that says a state cannot make a blanket requirement for licensing all firearms ('cause then it is not a right) but that it could be done for certain classes of firearms. For instance if a state required a permit for pistols but not long guns it would pass muster but not a blanket.

This would not be my ideal solution, just my guess on how it will play out.

Of course then NY and NJ et al will try to play games and require permits for every other than single shot 22's.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Do you honestly think they'll make an exception? Considering they passed the safe act, with the NY Republican party(big long involved story, involving inside party politics)voting for it..

Yeah, there's a reason why I'm getting the hell out of dodge.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
kapikui

Post by kapikui »

Termite wrote:
kapikui wrote: I think you're off by at least one order of magnitude.
Well,
considering the Hiroshima nuke was roughly 16 kt(Little Boy), and the current warheads on our SSBN missles(up to 8 per missle) are 450 kt, do you have any idea what I'm discussing?

Well I do want to make sure we get it ALL, but I have to agree with Greg.
Greg

Post by Greg »

HTRN wrote:Do you honestly think they'll make an exception? Considering they passed the safe act, with the NY Republican party(big long involved story, involving inside party politics)voting for it..

:jacked:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York's ... l_district

NY's 1st Congressional District was a (R) pickup this year. I feel kind of bad, I went to school with the (R) challenger who lost out in 2010 (by 500 votes!) and 2012. He's a good guy, and much sharper than he lets on in person. Seems like a bit of bad timing.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

HTRN wrote:Do you honestly think they'll make an exception? Considering they passed the safe act, with the NY Republican party(big long involved story, involving inside party politics)voting for it..

You miss my point, I think that the surpremes will eventually rule that requiring permits to own any firearm at all is unconstitutional, but that requiring it for some classes of firearms is okay.
D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

As bad as that is, even more disturbing is the link to the piece about David Lewis. He had to file a lawsuit to get his guns back after police confiscated them under the SAFE act.

I'm thinking what the average lawyer charges vs. what my guns cost and figure he must have had some pricey guns to make that exercise worthwhile.

That's pretty much the calculus that police go through with civil asset forfeiture. It was touted as a way to go after "untouchable" drug lords, but when the stakes get that high, spending $2 million on lawyers is just the cost of doing business. It's the average joe who ends up losing the most under those laws.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe