Out Of Control Cop Goes Psycho

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
HTRN

Re: Out Of Control Cop Goes Psycho

Post by HTRN »

MarkD wrote:I know a few months ago there was a suggestion for NYPD cops to wear on-body cameras to record their actions. The union raised a fuss, saying it would interfere with the officers ability to do their job. The same people who support stop-and-frisk, saying if you're not doing anything wrong, you have nothing to worry about.
It wasn't suggested, it was ordered by a Judge. They started rolling them out a coupla months ago.What the hangup is going to be is cost - they're like a grand per officer. That's serious money for the nations largest muni police force.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Greg

Post by Greg »

HTRN wrote:
MarkD wrote:I know a few months ago there was a suggestion for NYPD cops to wear on-body cameras to record their actions. The union raised a fuss, saying it would interfere with the officers ability to do their job. The same people who support stop-and-frisk, saying if you're not doing anything wrong, you have nothing to worry about.
It wasn't suggested, it was ordered by a Judge. They started rolling them out a coupla months ago.What the hangup is going to be is cost - they're like a grand per officer. That's serious money for the nations largest muni police force.
And peanuts as a fraction of payroll. Plus they pay for themselves the next time there's a high profile 'incident'.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

HTRN wrote:
I recalled hearing a blurb on the radio a few months back, didn't realize it was a judge's order.

And nobody said Boo at the cost for kevlar vests, or when they wanted to switch to the 9mm, or when they switched from the light-blue-over-dark-blue to all dark-blue uniforms. Or for that matter, money spent on pensions or overtime Plus, like I said, the union complained about it, why would they care if the NYPD has to shell out money for hardware?
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

When they switched to 9mm, that came out of officers pockets, not City hall - the officers own their duty weapons. I'm not sure, but the vests were possibly at least partially covered by Federal grants.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

I could give a damn about the costs.
Most major cities pay out more in nuisance lawsuit settlements in 6 months than what adopting them en masse would run.
If each one saves four hours of city attorney time once in not having to research a frivolous lawsuit or bogus use of force complaint, it's paid for. After that, they're turning a net profit to the entire city, forever. And every time they get a crooked cop fired for cause and prosecuted, they save the city millions, and the criminal justice system gets cleansed like water running through a purifier: priceless.

And one need look no further than the turnaround on the still-fresh Racecard HoBag incident, wherein LAPD cleared their officer and instituted criminal proceedings within hours based on video and audio proof.

As far as any whinging about their precious "privacy", a reminder to officers that if they're on duty, they have none other than whilst seated on the porcelain Thinking Stool should be the end of that BS excuse. You don't like the rules, turn in the f***ing badge, and go bag groceries, the other occupational field for which your educational efforts clearly prepared you.

There is a societal class who enjoys a right to privacy in this country: we call them private citizens.
The Constitution and Bill of Rights: not just for civics class and law school.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
kapikui

Post by kapikui »

What bothers me about this is that, as has been noted before, it is extremely unlikely that this is the first time this officer has done this kind of thing. It also is unlikely to be the first complaint, and therefore unlikely to have been the first complaint. It is nearly unthinkable that his superiors did not know about this behavior. He wasn't suspended without pay for abuse of power. He was suspended without pay for getting caught doing so.